Thread Rating:

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 93
July 18th, 2024 at 6:01:16 PM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

TL;DR: He's an academic, on the conservative side, and enjoys a generally good reputation on his side of the political spectrum.
link to original post

Wikipedia is meaningless
He announced this on an extremist right wing network
That alone is weird
Does he have a WH source or is he throwing BS against the wall.
I siding on BS
The most right wing network on the planet has a guy with an exclusive WH source
Doesn't pass the smell test
I'm thinking he hopes this pans out giving himself some credibility just by taking an educated guess
terapined
terapined
July 18th, 2024 at 6:05:55 PM permalink

Quote: terapined

Biden apparently has tested positive for COVID, and has flown back to Delaware instead of Washington, DC. He's cancelled everything for the next 6 days or so.

Let the markets rock!
link to original post

??????
I don't think the markets go up or down due to Biden having covid
What is your logic?
He tested positive yesterday and my tech stocks tanked.
Tech stocks will probably recover today but may not make back today what was lost yesterday
Now if Jerome Powell got covid
That's a different story
He has way way way more influence on the markets then old man Biden
Powell himself could rock the market just by mentioning a fed rate cut
link to original post

I could well ask where your logic is behind your statement "Tech stocks will probably recover today but may not make back today what was lost yesterday"

The operative word is "probably" because I'll be the 1st to admit I don't know Jack what determines the market to go up and down.
Long term investor just in it for the ride 😀
I am big on NVDA and TSM
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
July 18th, 2024 at 6:17:43 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Biden could resign the Presidency, Harris steps in to nominate Biden VP and then they move forward as a designated one two punch on the party nomination ticket too. The resignation and nomination aren’t integral to the third step but it makes it all come together.

I believe that would as well solve funding issues and over all could boost Democratic chances to win the election.
link to original post

The 25th Amendment states that any such VP nomination must be ratified by a majority of both Houses of Congress. Given that the Senate is 51D-49R and the House is 213D-220R; 2 Senators and 20 Representatives (all Democrats) have all called for Biden to quit the race; and there are other complications behind the scenes (such as the conviction of Sen Robert Menendez (D) in the gold-bar bribery case, I really don't see how Pres. Biden would ever be ratified.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
July 18th, 2024 at 6:26:49 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

(heavily snipped)
What would be banana republic is if Biden steps down and then congress refuses to ratify Harris.

They would use the same argument they used with Merrick Garland supreme court nomination. Too close to election, let the people decide who will be president.
link to original post

If/When Pres Biden resigns the office of POTUS, Harris as the VP becomes POTUS, no ratification required. (25th Amendment, Section 1) This comprehensively solved the succession question, as well as directing that the actual title of the successor is President of the United States, not Acting President.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
July 18th, 2024 at 6:29:04 PM permalink

Biden apparently has tested positive for COVID, and has flown back to Delaware instead of Washington, DC. He's cancelled everything for the next 6 days or so.

Let the markets rock!
link to original post

??????
I don't think the markets go up or down due to Biden having covid
What is your logic?
He tested positive yesterday and my tech stocks tanked.
Tech stocks will probably recover today but may not make back today what was lost yesterday
Now if Jerome Powell got covid
That's a different story
He has way way way more influence on the markets then old man Biden
Powell himself could rock the market just by mentioning a fed rate cut
link to original post

I could well ask where your logic is behind your statement "Tech stocks will probably recover today but may not make back today what was lost yesterday"

The operative word is "probably" because I'll be the 1st to admit I don't know Jack what determines the market to go up and down.
Long term investor just in it for the ride 😀
I am big on NVDA and TSM
link to original post

Well, if you are going to be pedantic, then my statement "Let the markets rock!" is an exhortation, not a statement of fact or deduction. No logic is required to support an exhortation.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 18th, 2024 at 11:18:44 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Biden with covid? an honourable off ramp for him?

Is anyone running a book on whether/when he steps aside?
link to original post

I'm not running a book.

I do find it telling to announce that he'll step down if there's a medical diagnosis, then later in the day break the news of Covid.
I characterise is as semi-honourable. The honourable off-ramp was at least a week ago.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 243
July 19th, 2024 at 2:36:13 AM permalink

(heavily snipped)
What would be banana republic is if Biden steps down and then congress refuses to ratify Harris.

They would use the same argument they used with Merrick Garland supreme court nomination. Too close to election, let the people decide who will be president.
link to original post

If/When Pres Biden resigns the office of POTUS, Harris as the VP becomes POTUS, no ratification required. (25th Amendment, Section 1) This comprehensively solved the succession question, as well as directing that the actual title of the successor is President of the United States, not Acting President.
link to original post

The talk is not of him resigning POTUS, just out of the race. He resigns POTUS he really hurts whoever takes his place on the ticket as all the oxygen out of the news cycles for days to weeks.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 442
July 19th, 2024 at 11:17:24 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

(heavily snipped)

link to original post

link to original post

The talk is not of him resigning POTUS, just out of the race. He resigns POTUS he really hurts whoever takes his place on the ticket as all the oxygen out of the news cycles for days to weeks.
link to original post

Let's see what happens to the odds now. Joe Biden just sent a letter from Delaware saying that he's not quitting the race, he's doubling down because he knows he can win. The more people from his own party that ask him to step down just makes him dig in even deeper. I saw this in my father-in-law when they tried to take his car keys away from him and they finally refused to give him a driver's license. The more people he had against him the more he fought to win because he could not see what he had become.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
belteshazar
belteshazar
  • Threads: 2
July 19th, 2024 at 3:52:52 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Quote: Wizard

<SNIP>

...Teddy Roosevelt.

link to original post

Saturday’s Trump incident brings to mind a similar event, in October 1912 involving Teddy Roosevelt

Quote: Charles Apple - The Spokesman-Review

When Roosevelt reached into his coat pocket for his speech, he discovered what had saved his life: The bullet had shattered his eyeglass case and put a hole through his 50 pages of prepared remarks.

link to original post

I bet they were filed down.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
July 19th, 2024 at 5:52:42 PM permalink
Talk about a rock and a hard place.

The blue team's "Dump Biden" faction feels that keeping Biden as their candidate will depress voter turnout, cause more blue states to become battlegrounds, and wreak havoc with the down ballot candidates. Because of this, they point to polls showing 65% of party members want him gone.

But...

That means 35% of party members want him to stay, a big number. They've made it clear that, should Biden be forced out, they will protest by not voting. Suppose that only 25% of the Biden loyalists carry out such a threat. That's more than enough to depress voter turnout, cause more blue states to become battlegrounds, and wreak havoc with the down ballot candidates.

What to do?
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 20th, 2024 at 4:00:16 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

The blue team's "Dump Biden" faction feels that keeping Biden as their candidate will depress voter turnout, cause more blue states to become battlegrounds, and wreak havoc with the down ballot candidates. Because of this, they point to polls showing 65% of party members want him gone.

But...

That means 35% of party members want him to stay, a big number. They've made it clear that, should Biden be forced out, they will protest by not voting. Suppose that only 25% of the Biden loyalists carry out such a threat. That's more than enough to depress voter turnout, cause more blue states to become battlegrounds, and wreak havoc with the down ballot candidates.

What to do?
link to original post

This is where gut feel comes in. Before these things were researched to death you just made the decision. Today I think party leaders don’t grasp going without huge research and I think it is a tad worse for the Democrats.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 20th, 2024 at 4:45:17 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

But...

What to do?
link to original post

If you really believe what you wrote…. the answer is OBVIOUS…

BET on the Republicans to win their races!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 20th, 2024 at 4:56:17 AM permalink
I interpret the calls for a "mini-primary" (a Nancy Pelosi idea) to be a desire to have a replacement for Biden other than Harris. A series of large town meetings in which each of the major candidates speak (and perhaps debate?), and then the audience votes. If Harris loses the mini-primary to Whitmer or Shapiro or whomever, then they can invoke "Democracy" and "the people have spoken" and move past Harris.

As Gialmere says, this is indeed a very hard spot for the Democrats. If they stay with Biden, they are stuck with a nominee who is further tarnished by all the Democrats who are saying pubicly that he should step aside. If Biden does step aside, the party may break down fractally into camps that support Biden or Harris or Thing 1 and Thing 2.

I think the simplest solution is for Biden to stubbornly stick to his guns and refuse to step down. Nature favors simplicity (and if nature doesn't then Sherlock Holmes does.) I still wonder if the Biden outcome is a bit more probable than the odds currently reflect.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 20th, 2024 at 9:50:22 AM permalink
Not much has happened odds-wise in the last several days. Trump is still holding steady in the low 60's, and Harris is still ahead of Biden for the general election. Nominee-wise, Harris is over Biden 54% to 26%.

In non-gambling polling, Trump is ahead of Biden by a little over 3%.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 299
July 20th, 2024 at 10:18:59 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Not much has happened odds-wise in the last several days. Trump is still holding steady in the low 60's, and Harris is still ahead of Biden for the general election. Nominee-wise, Harris is over Biden 54% to 26%.

link to original post

Non-gambling polling is all that matters. A 3% lead for Trump will not be enough to convince Biden to step down.

Gambling odds are made to guarantee profit for the bookmakers. As such, their numbers can be skewed.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 20th, 2024 at 10:55:33 AM permalink

link to original post

Non-gambling polling is all that matters. A 3% lead for Trump will not be enough to convince Biden to step down.

Gambling odds are made to guarantee profit for the bookmakers. As such, their numbers can be skewed.
link to original post

Biden knows as well as anybody how bad Trump being ahead by 3% is. Trump can lose the general election by two or three percent and still crush the Electoral College.
darkoz
darkoz
July 20th, 2024 at 11:21:20 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

link to original post

Biden knows as well as anybody how bad Trump being ahead by 3% is. Trump can lose the general election by two or three percent and still crush the Electoral College.
link to original post

That's assuming the 3% lead is static through November.

My point is a 3% lead is something that can be reasonably nudged in your favor between now and election day.

As we get closer those voters who don't follow politics but still cast their vote will come into play.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 20th, 2024 at 11:32:59 AM permalink

(heavily snipped)

link to original post

link to original post

Yes, but the original post was referring to Biden being named as the replacement VP for Harris. Whoever President Harris did nominate to replace herself as VP has to be confirmed by both houses of Congress (25th Amendment, section 2). Until then, there would be no VP, which could be important as there would be no tiebreaking vote in the Senate. This is not unheard of; until the 25th Amendment was ratified, whenever the VP became President, there would be no VP until the next election. (LBJ had no VP until Humphrey was sworn in in January, 1965.)
darkoz
darkoz
July 20th, 2024 at 11:44:35 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

(heavily snipped)

link to original post

link to original post

Yes, but the original post was referring to Biden being named as the replacement VP for Harris. Whoever President Harris did nominate to replace herself as VP has to be confirmed by both houses of Congress (25th Amendment, section 2). Until then, there would be no VP, which could be important as there would be no tiebreaking vote in the Senate. This is not unheard of; until the 25th Amendment was ratified, whenever the VP became President, there would be no VP until the next election. (LBJ had no VP until Humphrey was sworn in in January, 1965.)
link to original post

Right. In fact isn't that why Ford became president when Nixon stepped down? Agnew had already been removed as VP due to his shenanigans leaving the VP vacant.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
July 20th, 2024 at 11:52:25 AM permalink
I'd say odds are about zero Biden looks good in outings over the next 3 months and it will look increasingly ridiculous to keep him going. Not sure why people think that will will end up working and be anything but embarrassing. Now perhaps he will now make limited appearances to avoid that, but that will be pointed out continuously.
Sanitized for Your Protection
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
July 20th, 2024 at 1:37:37 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I’ve seen educated pollsters (not EB) say that the Electoral College/popular vote gap will shrink this year to ~1% due in part to the slight reddening of NY state (and continuing deep reddening of FL).
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Archvaldor
Archvaldor
  • Threads: 0
July 21st, 2024 at 5:59:06 AM permalink
"I'd say odds are about zero Biden looks good in outings over the next 3 months and it will look increasingly ridiculous to keep him going. Not sure why people think that will will end up working and be anything but embarrassing."

America and other nations have been putting ridiculous people into positions of political power for some time now. Being comically ridiculous is an electoral asset.
ams288
ams288
July 21st, 2024 at 10:53:30 AM permalink
BIDEN OUT

ams288
ams288
Thanked by
unJon
July 21st, 2024 at 11:00:41 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

I think there is enough evidence from the past decade to show that debates don’t matter at all.
link to original post

Okay, NOW we can officially say this post of mine aged very, very poorly.

Was the June 27th debate the most consequential debate in US political history?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
July 21st, 2024 at 11:37:14 AM permalink
Who will surprise us and run? Obviously Harris will, I am interested in seeing who comes out of nowhere and runs.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
July 21st, 2024 at 11:50:37 AM permalink
I'm starting to think I should put my money on Bran Stark to win.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 21st, 2024 at 11:51:48 AM permalink
He’s out.

Let the fun begin.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 21st, 2024 at 11:57:41 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Who will surprise us and run? Obviously Harris will, I am interested in seeing who comes out of nowhere and runs.
link to original post

I will not seek, nor will I accept...
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 21st, 2024 at 12:31:40 PM permalink
After the big news……. Predictit….

Trump 61. Harris 38.

Can’t wait for the debates!!!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 21st, 2024 at 12:34:33 PM permalink
The Democrat Party best course of action might be...........

Nominate Trump! But put in their own VP.

Something happens to Trump their person is in. 2028 their person has the inside track.

It has been attempted before.
ams288
ams288
July 21st, 2024 at 12:44:24 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

After the big news……. Predictit….

Trump 61. Harris 38.

Can’t wait for the debates!!!
link to original post

Will there be debates?

I can’t get into why I’m skeptical.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2024 at 1:19:59 PM permalink
I'm hearing lots of talk the last few days that Hillary is looking at getting back in. A Hillary/Trump election again. She would poll better than Harris.

"Clinton is a ready-made replacement. She possesses an unparalleled resume and an unmatched depth of experience. She has consistently redefined the roles she has served, from secretary of State and U.S. senator to first lady and Children’s Defense Fund attorney. Her extensive background in domestic and international affairs is not just impressive; at a time when global politics are increasingly volatile and complex, her experience is priceless." The Hill Magazine

'It's a possibility': Talks of Hillary Clinton replacing Joe Biden Sky News Australia
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2024 at 1:22:44 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

Except Lyndon Johnson did it in March, he didn't wait till 30 days from the convention.
darkoz
darkoz
July 21st, 2024 at 1:29:18 PM permalink

I'm hearing lots of talk the last few days that Hillary is looking at getting back in. A Hillary/Trump election again. She would poll better than Harris.

"Clinton is a ready-made replacement. She possesses an unparalleled resume and an unmatched depth of experience. She has consistently redefined the roles she has served, from secretary of State and U.S. senator to first lady and Children’s Defense Fund attorney. Her extensive background in domestic and international affairs is not just impressive; at a time when global politics are increasingly volatile and complex, her experience is priceless." The Hill Magazine

'It's a possibility': Talks of Hillary Clinton replacing Joe Biden Sky News Australia
link to original post

Hillary isn't getting in. Stop the republican fantasizing.

BTW, Hillary has endorsed Kamala for president already
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 11
July 21st, 2024 at 1:31:05 PM permalink

link to original post

Hillary is 76 and neither needs nor wants the aggravation and both her and Bill have endorsed Harris. Neither Sky News nor The Hill are reputable news sources for US electoral politics. The surest bet you can make is Hillary NOT running.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 21st, 2024 at 1:32:59 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Except Lyndon Johnson did it in March, he didn't wait till 30 days from the convention.
link to original post

I'm tongue-in-cheek.
Nobody wants me as POTUS.
ams288
ams288
July 21st, 2024 at 1:45:20 PM permalink

link to original post

Good lord, you’re talking about Hillary again?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
July 21st, 2024 at 2:17:25 PM permalink

link to original post

The problem is, the primaries are over, and the convention delegates have been selected, the vast majority, if not all, of which are pledged to support Biden. While the Democratic Convention rules say that each delegate is only required to "in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them," Hillary would have a tough task of convincing a majority of the pledged delegates (remember, the "superdelegates" are not allowed to vote on the first ballot if their votes would change the result) that the "people who elected them" want them to nominate her over Kamala - or her over Gavin Newsom, for that matter.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 21st, 2024 at 2:20:04 PM permalink

I'm tongue-in-cheek.
link to original post

Hmmm, might there be an Assumed Nominee, United States? (just joking)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rxwine
rxwine
July 21st, 2024 at 2:36:50 PM permalink
Hillary Dillary!

Michelle Obama has agreed to be vice.

just kidding.

It will be Oprah.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
July 21st, 2024 at 2:42:49 PM permalink

TL;DR: He's an academic, on the conservative side, and enjoys a generally good reputation on his side of the political spectrum.
link to original post

Wikipedia is meaningless
He announced this on an extremist right wing network
That alone is weird
Does he have a WH source or is he throwing BS against the wall.
I siding on BS
The most right wing network on the planet has a guy with an exclusive WH source
Doesn't pass the smell test
I'm thinking he hopes this pans out giving himself some credibility just by taking an educated guess
link to original post

You have chosen...poorly.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
July 21st, 2024 at 3:15:36 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

link to original post

The problem is, the primaries are over, and the convention delegates have been selected, the vast majority, if not all, of which are pledged to support Biden. While the Democratic Convention rules say that each delegate is only required to "in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them," Hillary would have a tough task of convincing a majority of the pledged delegates (remember, the "superdelegates" are not allowed to vote on the first ballot if their votes would change the result) that the "people who elected them" want them to nominate her over Kamala - or her over Gavin Newsom, for that matter.
link to original post

Just thinking along these lines...
I agree with Don for the first part, defining what the delegates are pledged to do. However, I do believe that in the hours and days to come, we will hear of Biden officially releasing his delegates from the requirement to vote for him at the convention. He cannot order them to vote for anyone else, but he can suggest, endorse, recommend, or condemn anyone he wants to, but that is not binding on the delegates. Thus, we have a brokered convention.

The last brokered convention (when there no candidate has gained a majority of delegates on the first ballot) was 1952 for the Republicans,and, two weeks later, in the same venue, the Democrats also failed to select a candidate on the first ballot. This happened in....Chicago. This year's Dem convention is in....Chicago. The last time the Dems were in Chi-town was in 1968, where a series of riots happened around the convention site. The (D)s launched an investigation of what went wrong, and the result of that was implemented in the 1972 convention.

Chicago. Too weird to be true...but it is.
Archvaldor
Archvaldor
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
AitchTheLetter
July 21st, 2024 at 3:35:58 PM permalink
"Good lord, you’re talking about Hillary again?"

I think it is fair to consider her return as a possibility until someone beheads her, burns her alive, then scatters the ashes to the four corners of the world, in case she attempts to re-form herself from her constituent atoms.
rxwine
rxwine
July 21st, 2024 at 4:12:25 PM permalink
In order for other potential candidates to campaign for office in between now and the convention, doesn't money need to be divided and spent? Either that or everyone is going to be quiet until the convention.
ams288
ams288
July 21st, 2024 at 4:35:33 PM permalink
Jake Tapper:

Quote:

Sources close to Sen Joe Manchin, independent of WV, say he's considering re-registering as a Democrat and throwing his hat into the ring

Must…. resist…… commenting…… on….. this.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2024 at 6:55:28 PM permalink

The last brokered convention (when there no candidate has gained a majority of delegates on the first ballot) was 1952 for the Republicans,and, two weeks later, in the same venue, the Democrats also failed to select a candidate on the first ballot.
link to original post

Abraham Lincoln was confirmed to be the nominee in 1860 after about the 50th ballot as I recall. He was not a popular guy, he was not a popular president, he was barely reelected to a second term and only served one term because he was shot and killed almost immediately after his second term started. It wasn't until years later that people realized he was probably our greatest president.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 11
July 21st, 2024 at 9:55:52 PM permalink

The last brokered convention (when there no candidate has gained a majority of delegates on the first ballot) was 1952 for the Republicans,and, two weeks later, in the same venue, the Democrats also failed to select a candidate on the first ballot.
link to original post

Abraham Lincoln was confirmed to be the nominee in 1860 after about the 50th ballot as I recall. He was not a popular guy, he was not a popular president, he was barely reelected to a second term and only served one term because he was shot and killed almost immediately after his second term started. It wasn't until years later that people realized he was probably our greatest president.
link to original post

Um, Lincoln won the nomination on the 3rd ballot in 1860, wona decisive electoral college victory, won 22 states to 3 in 1864, and won 212 electoral votes to 21 and won 55.1% of the popular vote. By all accounts, he gave McClellan a shellacking.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 21st, 2024 at 10:54:51 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

link to original post

Um, Lincoln won the nomination on the 3rd ballot in 1860, wona decisive electoral college victory, won 22 states to 3 in 1864, and won 212 electoral votes to 21 and won 55.1% of the popular vote. By all accounts, he gave McClellan a shellacking.
link to original post

I just read since the assassination attempt on Trump that Lincoln won on the 50th ballot. Why would they be so far off. What would be the point. Do you have to look up everything you read now to fact check it?
terapined
terapined
July 21st, 2024 at 11:48:42 PM permalink

Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I just read since the assassination attempt on Trump that Lincoln won on the 50th ballot. Why would they be so far off. What would be the point. Do you have to look up everything you read now to fact check it?
link to original post

From Wikipedia

Lincoln's combination of a moderate stance on slavery, long support for economic issues, his western origins, and strong oratory proved to be exactly what the delegates wanted in a president. On the third ballot on May 18, Lincoln secured the nomination overwhelmingly.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
July 22nd, 2024 at 5:52:51 AM permalink

I'm tongue-in-cheek.
link to original post

I would accept you over the current candidates.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: