February 12th, 2019 at 4:14:43 PM permalink
self explanitory

im in pa and getting antsy this ish im on the edge
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 12th, 2019 at 4:24:31 PM permalink
You mean a legal opinion?

Which case are you referring to, and at what level (e.g. Supreme Court)?
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
February 12th, 2019 at 5:51:48 PM permalink
yes. there are websites in my state that are saying its sheldon adelson who are claiming the guy is funding this movement and i find it odd that sands bethlehem doesnt give two craps about getting an online gaming license
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
heatmap
February 12th, 2019 at 6:00:37 PM permalink
It involves a publicly announced internal opinion by the US Dept. Of Justice on how, where & when they will take enforcement actions. What they have done most recently is to explicitly reverse a creative internal staff re-interpretation that was made in 2011. And in doing so they have now restored the position that was held and acted upon by Federal law enforcement for the fifty years from passage of the Wire Act in 1961, until that creative internal DOJ memo in 2011 changed the landscape to view it as narrowly restricted only to apply to sports, and no other forms of gambling. If that's clear. Maybe not, so here's more:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-15/u-s-now-says-all-online-gambling-illegal-not-just-sports-bets

Quote: Bloomberg News - By Edvard Pettersson

The U.S. Justice Department’s decision to expand a federal prohibition on internet gambling will cast a pall on the industry as businesses and state lotteries evaluate the implications of the change and the government’s plans to enforce it.

The U.S. now says the U.S. Wire Act bars all internet gambling that involves interstate transactions, reversing its position from 2011 that only sports betting was prohibited under the law passed 50 years earlier.

While the federal law specifically prohibits transmission of wagers and related information across state lines,
the Justice Department’s new interpretation will impact all online gambling because as a practical matter it’s difficult to guarantee that no payments are routed through other states, said Aaron Swerdlow, an attorney with Glaser Weil Fink Howard Avchen & Shapiro LLP in Los Angeles....

...<SNIP>...

[Bolded emphasis added]

Of course some folks in places like online poker blogs & suchlike are hyperventilating and blowing gaskets like crazy. But it is not a new position. It is, inconveniently enough, the old one that was widely understood as the law of the land and was in effect and adjudicated for fifty years ever since the Kennedy administration created it.

EDIT: Pardon me for getting my quote tags so badly screwed up. Hope I've got it straightened out now.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Feb 12, 2019
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
  • Jump to: