invisiblepants
invisiblepants
  • Threads: 1
March 5th, 2015 at 9:52:06 AM permalink
I just received a check today (somehow hit an 11 game parlay on Tuesday). Per Bovada, I am to deposit this via my ATM, but the ATM will not accept my check. I am assuming there is a good reason why Bovada recommends depositing the check in this way. Since I have far more money in my account than the check is worth, I am thinking that I should drop the matter and not risk compromising my account. Does anyone agree/disagree/have a similar experience? I use PNC, so if anyone else has experience with that particular bank that would even more helpful. Thank you.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
March 5th, 2015 at 10:22:18 AM permalink
Happened to me. I received same instructions. Neither my Chase or Bank of America ATM would accept the check because it is a foreign check. I went into the branch and deposited with no problems. Have done this multiple times now and have never been asked any questions by the teller
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 5th, 2015 at 10:25:27 AM permalink
I think they just want people to avoid interactions with bank people. They don't want them to say the wrong thing and compromise their processor account. You are safe to deposit it with a teller but don't brag to them about how you won this money online.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
invisiblepants
invisiblepants
  • Threads: 1
March 5th, 2015 at 6:05:22 PM permalink
Thanks guys, it still makes me nervous but I appreciate the information.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 17th, 2015 at 1:49:22 PM permalink
NOTA BENE: I just took a $3,000.09 check to Chase for deposit. They had to clear it because it was over $2,500. They said it would take up to six weeks to clear. I don't need the scrutiny. I just asked for it back. Then I went to my smaller bank and they couldn't process it either. So I still have the check.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 17th, 2015 at 2:01:14 PM permalink
well, you guys are doing a great job of reinforcing my conviction that online gambling is absolutely nuts

btw I have been saying that ever since i joined here years ago, and the Wizard never said a word even though his income came largely from signing people up. It occurs to me now that I don't know if I will be afforded the same latitude under the new ownership ...
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
September 17th, 2015 at 2:17:50 PM permalink
Quote: invisiblepants

Thanks guys, it still makes me nervous but I appreciate the information.

Don't be... It's because it's an international check. The process normally is that your bank will have to send it to Canada and get the funds which takes up to 6 weeks. However, when I did this with PNC they said since I had more funds availabel in my account than the check was worth they'd just cash it for me on hand and hit me later if something went wrong. I was fine with this because I've cashed out with Bovada before and knew the check would pay. So they cashed it and essentially my account was "awaiting approval" on that check for 3-4 weeks but it made no difference to me. When the check cleared nothing changed in my account.

Normally there's a small % fee for them to go through this process (since they have to send the check to Canada) but since it was so small I politely asked if it could be waived and they said "sure, no problem."
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
teddys
teddys
September 17th, 2015 at 2:38:18 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

Don't be... It's because it's an international check. The process normally is that your bank will have to send it to Canada and get the funds which takes up to 6 weeks. However, when I did this with PNC they said since I had more funds availabel in my account than the check was worth they'd just cash it for me on hand and hit me later if something went wrong. I was fine with this because I've cashed out with Bovada before and knew the check would pay. So they cashed it and essentially my account was "awaiting approval" on that check for 3-4 weeks but it made no difference to me. When the check cleared nothing changed in my account.

Normally there's a small % fee for them to go through this process (since they have to send the check to Canada) but since it was so small I politely asked if it could be waived and they said "sure, no problem."

Thanks for the info. (I also have a check, in addition to the OP). Chase said the problem was that it was over $2,500, so that triggered in their system. I don't want a "review" of my account or the payor's status. But if I comes down to it I will deposit it with Chase. I think I am going to take it to another bank tomorrow which has more money in the account. (I have way too many bank accounts).
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
September 17th, 2015 at 5:12:32 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Thanks for the info. (I also have a check, in addition to the OP). Chase said the problem was that it was over $2,500, so that triggered in their system. I don't want a "review" of my account or the payor's status. But if I comes down to it I will deposit it with Chase. I think I am going to take it to another bank tomorrow which has more money in the account. (I have way too many bank accounts).

Trip north, right as you exit the tunnel look for the big white building they might cash it right away if they think a player is itching to play
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
September 17th, 2015 at 7:23:20 PM permalink
My bank tried to run the check through (and credited my deposit). It was refused by the automated processing house or whatever. They took the money away from my account, mailed the check in, and had clear funds in less than two weeks. It wasn't seamless, but it wasn't too bad...
teddys
teddys
September 17th, 2015 at 10:51:19 PM permalink
Quote: coilman

Trip north, right as you exit the tunnel look for the big white building they might cash it right away if they think a player is itching to play

It's a Scotiabank check so I wouldn't even need to go as far as the big white building. Just to Park and Ouellette.

But no, I don't want to go to Windsor...
  • Jump to: