DrOakland
DrOakland
  • Threads: 2
January 19th, 2013 at 12:44:23 PM permalink
I'm usually very skeptical about such claims, but there are several Youtube guys saying PokerStars is rigged for maximum suckouts. It seemed to me as well, lots more suckouts than should be expected. In my case, just with play money. Feels like it's rigged for maximum drama, or rewarding bad play. I'm daydraming about doing a study of say 200 all-in plays, see how often suckouts really happen. Anyone discussed this here before?
DrO
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
January 19th, 2013 at 1:00:08 PM permalink
The most respected online poker room, the largest by 10x+ over Party and the only Black Friday room that paid back US players is rigging play money games? I have heard it all now.

Real poker players have never doubted for a second the legitimacy of PokerStars and their RNG. Players use Poker Tracker and any irregularity would be discovered quickly and known all around.
DrOakland
DrOakland
January 19th, 2013 at 1:09:48 PM permalink
Yeah that makes sense... I accept the castigation. Probably I've just encountered some results 2 standard deviations off the norm, which played minor tricks on my brain. Or major tricks, in the case of the Youtube guys. (Magic612 in particular is rather hilarious in his invective...)
DrO
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 19th, 2013 at 1:57:07 PM permalink
Usually the biggest crybabies are the ones who knows the games are rigged. They will quotes stats about the improbabilities, know
that they only lose because the games are rigged, and other such bullshit.

LOSERS ! ! !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 19th, 2013 at 1:59:33 PM permalink
Here is a gigantic 2+2 thread arguing about this:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/25/probability/pokerstars-rigged-447349/

But weird things can still happen, like me getting dealt 75432 in triple draw lowball to me 4 times within 16 hands. If you play 1M hands of the game, the probability of it ever happening to you is still only about 1 in 93k. And fwiw, I really wished I would have bought a lottery ticket that day instead.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=36299004&postcount=17
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 19th, 2013 at 2:04:19 PM permalink
139 pages of idiots rambling on and on. Not one shred of proof. Begs the question :

If you absolute believe the site is rigged, why are you playing there ? DUH !!!!!!!!
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 19th, 2013 at 2:10:19 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

139 pages of idiots rambling on and on. Not one shred of proof. Begs the question :

If you absolute believe the site is rigged, why are you playing there ? DUH !!!!!!!!

I'm sure there is probably a shred of proof against it being rigged somewhere in that mess. I never really bothered to really read it all though.

Players that complain it's rigged also often overlook the huge effect rake has over the game. Before Black Friday hit, I consistently was generating over $10k in rake per year. When the site is collecting that much from a single player, does it really need to be rigged?
DrOakland
DrOakland
January 19th, 2013 at 2:46:35 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

But weird things can still happen...

Yeah, my fav was getting dealt pocket Aces three times in a row at the Oaks Club 15-30, one day back around 1999. Dropped a few jaws...
Anyways, I'm feeling a little silly for starting this thread now.

DrO
(not a woo-woo)
zippyboy
zippyboy
January 19th, 2013 at 4:23:41 PM permalink
I've seen some crazy suckouts when I play on Full Tilt sometimes, like the hand below. Sure, it's just play money, but I've never seen four people get it all in preflop, only to find out these were the hands. I had to take a screen capture!

"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 19th, 2013 at 6:10:00 PM permalink
lol...that's definitely a new one to me. I've seen Aces through Jacks posted on the internet, but this is even more unlikely.

Also, if this stuff was truly rigged, they would avoid putting hands like this up at play money games since you wouldn't want to scare off people.
Canyonero
Canyonero
  • Threads: 40
January 20th, 2013 at 11:01:06 AM permalink
Well, there is extensive statistical data (hand histories) available to prove or disprove most claims of rigging. You just have to actually know what you want to look for.

Having said that, hearing the pseudo-counter-arguments "they are the biggest, you can trust them" and "they have no reason to cheat" makes me shake my head. Have we learned nothing after Absolute Poker / Full Tilt?
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 20th, 2013 at 11:24:14 AM permalink
Quote: Canyonero

Well, there is extensive statistical data (hand histories) available to prove or disprove most claims of rigging. You just have to actually know what you want to look for.

Having said that, hearing the pseudo-counter-arguments "they are the biggest, you can trust them" and "they have no reason to cheat" makes me shake my head. Have we learned nothing after Absolute Poker / Full Tilt?

This is true, but with Stars being a ~monopoly now, they would be particularly stupid to rig/cheat the game. And full tilt didn't rig the software, they just used our money as a personal loan. :(
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 20th, 2013 at 12:23:34 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

This is true, but with Stars being a ~monopoly now, they would be particularly stupid to rig/cheat the game. And full tilt didn't rig the software, they just used our money as a personal loan. :(

Gee, aren't loans supposed to be repaid ?
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
January 20th, 2013 at 5:49:56 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Gee, aren't loans supposed to be repaid ?

Not if you consider the lenders to be suckers.

Quote: DrOakland

I'm usually very skeptical about such claims, but there are several Youtube guys saying PokerStars is rigged for maximum suckouts. It seemed to me as well, lots more suckouts than should be expected. In my case, just with play money.

Or it may be that you just didn't realize that many of them weren't suckouts.

NLH poker is a game of narrow margins. AK suited is only a 7:3 favorite over 72 offsuit. Going all in with AKs vs 72o, there is still a fat juicy 30% chance that you lose and beer hand wins.

The rule of thumb is, when you have a great hand and your opponent has nothing, you win twice and he wins once.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
DrOakland
DrOakland
January 20th, 2013 at 7:08:10 PM permalink
Quote: P90

Not if you consider the lenders to be suckers.

Or it may be that you just didn't realize that many of them weren't suckouts.

NLH poker is a game of narrow margins. AK suited is only a 7:3 favorite over 72 offsuit. Going all in with AKs vs 72o, there is still a fat juicy 30% chance that you lose and beer hand wins.

The rule of thumb is, when you have a great hand and your opponent has nothing, you win twice and he wins once.

Actually I do realize. But in this suckout string, I started expecting 77 to beat QQ, and A4 to beat AK, etc. Such strings occur, but hard to get your mind around them...
DrO
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 20th, 2013 at 7:13:04 PM permalink
I always congratulate those who catch a miracle card. Usually, DAMN, I knew I should have raised you. Or if I raised the chump earlier, I will say, That's why I tried to get you to lay it down. I mean, reinforcing dumb play is the only way to go.

Believe it or not, all bad players can play better when motivated. So why smarten them up?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 23rd, 2013 at 4:13:34 PM permalink
Quote: DrOakland

DrO
(not a woo-woo)

Das only in da mo-ning. You 'sposed to be up cooking breakfast or somthin', so that's like an alarm clock! WOO WOOOOOO
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
  • Jump to: