neilinbackbay
neilinbackbay
  • Threads: 1
April 25th, 2020 at 2:01:40 PM permalink
9. Thou shalt not make side bets

"The Odds is like a side bet in craps made after a point is thrown."

"Optimal strategy in craps is pretty simple. Bet the don't pass and/or don't come and back it up laying the maximum odds."

(Obviously I'm being facetious)

I think its funny that one of the best strategies in Vegas where there is the least house advantage is technically side bet.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
Thanked by
MattUK
April 25th, 2020 at 3:18:19 PM permalink
Quote: neilinbackbay

9. Thou shalt not make side bets

"The Odds is like a side bet in craps made after a point is thrown."

"Optimal strategy in craps is pretty simple. Bet the don't pass and/or don't come and back it up laying the maximum odds."

(Obviously I'm being facetious)

I think its funny that one of the best strategies in Vegas where there is the least house advantage is technically side bet.

You can view it as a "side bet" or you can view it as an additioonal bet, or piling on after your point has been established. It is especially useful on $3 or $5 tables with 10X odds.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 25th, 2020 at 3:35:16 PM permalink
be advised you are on the Wizard S***tlist ~ Michael does not like to be called out on his own site
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 25th, 2020 at 3:47:52 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

You can view it as a "side bet" or you can view it as an additioonal bet, or piling on after your point has been established. It is especially useful on $3 or $5 tables with 10X odds.

Real side bets get Layout Space and dealer promotion because the House Edge is a whopping one.
MattUK
MattUK
  • Threads: 13
April 26th, 2020 at 7:35:59 AM permalink
It doesn't work like that. Think of Craps as a unique game with fair odds and a very good bet that has to be made to unlock it.
Yes, you are on Wizard's death list for blasphemy.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Forager
April 26th, 2020 at 8:26:54 AM permalink
Unless you’re getting the odds included in your rating (most don’t), all you’re really accomplishing with an odds bet is driving up the variance.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
Thanked by
MattUKSanchoPanza
April 26th, 2020 at 8:38:36 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Unless you’re getting the odds included in your rating (most don’t), all you’re really accomplishing with an odds bet is driving up the variance.

... and reducing the house edge for all money wagered.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 26th, 2020 at 9:27:20 AM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

... and reducing the house edge for all money wagered.

I get it. I’m not a fan on the deceptive element of risk measurement vs. drawing attention away from HE of the (separate) initial wager. Reasonable minds can disagree on that.

If comps make up a decent part of your calculus, only willing to risk so much money in a session not an unlimited bankroll, and aren’t getting rated on your odds, you can through poor variance be lowering your theo and comps per session and actually lose more in the long run from reduced comps by always taking full odds should you have below average luck. Your initial wager would have to be lower to insure session length.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
April 26th, 2020 at 9:55:37 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

... Reasonable minds can disagree on that. ...

Point well taken; how you view the effect of taking odds depends on what you are looking for. If comps have an important value for you, then yes, the calculation should balance the reduced house edge overall against the reduction of awarded comps plus the (usually) abbreviated session lengths. I don't toss the bones often, but when I do it's strictly for entertainment. I'll put money into two come bets rather than odds.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
  • Jump to: