surnamehistorie
surnamehistorie
  • Threads: 2
January 8th, 2018 at 2:47:51 PM permalink
Question. Do you ever switch to the pass line when things are not going well or do stay with the no pass? Thanks
pwcrabb
pwcrabb
  • Threads: 4
January 8th, 2018 at 5:02:15 PM permalink
Regardless of your preference for Do Pass or Don't Pass, your results will often be hostile. The temptation to switch teams can become emotionally overwhelming, but you may not find relief by doing so. I recommend choosing one team each session.

Encountering nonstop losses despite bouncing back and forth between the two alternatives is even more annoying than encountering nonstop losses by playing a consistent policy of Do or Don't.

There is no compelling mathematical reason supporting any particular policy. However, the non-mathematical emotional quagmire imposed by losing on both sides of a whipsaw is truly deadly.
"I suppose I was mad. Every great genius is mad upon the subject in which he is greatest. The unsuccessful madman is disgraced and called a lunatic." Fitz-James O'Brien, The Diamond Lens (1858)
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 8th, 2018 at 5:05:27 PM permalink
Quote: surnamehistorie

Question. Do you ever switch to the pass line when things are not going well or do stay with the no pass? Thanks

I'm a don't player
but
When I get the dice to throw, I generally change to pass
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 9th, 2018 at 5:38:35 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I'm a don't player
but
When I get the dice to throw, I generally change to pass

Strange. I often stay on the dark side and take the heat from other players if I have to. However, I do admit...ain't much of a difference between Right Way and Wrong Way bettors. If everyone is having lots of fun and chips are stacked all over the place, I'd already be on the Right Side. If its excessively choppy, I'm probably on the Dark Side and probably staying there as I shoot.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 9th, 2018 at 5:58:51 AM permalink
Quote: pwcrabb

I recommend choosing one team each session ... losing on both sides of a whipsaw is truly deadly.

I recommend staying on one side for the emotional benefit as well, though mathematics has nothing to do with it. If you switch, you have bought into the idea that the table *is* hot or cold for one side instead of realizing perhaps it *was* hot or cold - that has no impact on the future, and that starts with the next roll. It seems especially crushing to be shown the past has no meaning in craps if you find it out by switching sides.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 9th, 2018 at 8:22:05 AM permalink
We all know this 'no hot hands' and 'no hot table' stuff. We may not like it but we know it.

It won't offend the dice if we switch around a bit though. And, as they say, how much does it really cost to knock on wood?

If the girl who complains about my shooting from the Don't has tattoos and studs, I'm likely to switch.
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
January 9th, 2018 at 12:19:01 PM permalink
I tend to pick a side based on the current shooter's last performance. While 'past performance is not indicative of future results' is entirely true, I find it more entertaining that way. And I'm sure we've all seen the situation where it *seems* like, no matter what they do or try to mix it up, there's that one guy who just keeps throwing a seven point seven.

Quote: FleaStiff

It won't offend the dice if we switch around a bit though. And, as they say, how much does it really cost to knock on wood?

"A rosary is meaningless, too…If it helps to turn your hat around during a poker game—then it helps. It is irrelevant that the hat has no magic powers." -Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A. Heinlein
Last edited by: Venthus on Jan 9, 2018
helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
January 9th, 2018 at 3:56:03 PM permalink
I'm a switcher. I'll play Pass or Don't Pass, but generally if I've been on the Don't Pass and the dice pass to me I do not switch. I roll the dice from the Don'ts. "Playing from the don't, hoping he won't!"

My personal superstition is that I roll a lot of sevens, but I've had long runs on both the Do and Don't.

I typically have not had too much grief playing the Don't. The few times people have commented to me on the Don't I simply say, "This is just a different way to play craps. Do or Don't the house has the edge either way you play it."

--helpmespock
Mikey75
Mikey75
  • Threads: 49
January 9th, 2018 at 5:15:41 PM permalink
I actually have the perfect winning strategy for craps!! It's very simple and easy to follow. All you have to do is play beside me and bet the opposite of what I bet!!!! If I bet the don't the pass line wins. If I bet the pass the don't wins. I could make someone very rich!! I'll be in Vegas in Feb if anyone wants to meet and prove my strategy works!!'
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 9th, 2018 at 5:32:38 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Strange. I often stay on the dark side and take the heat from other players if I have to. However, I do admit...ain't much of a difference between Right Way and Wrong Way bettors. If everyone is having lots of fun and chips are stacked all over the place, I'd already be on the Right Side. If its excessively choppy, I'm probably on the Dark Side and probably staying there as I shoot.

I do like to play the Don't. I always play the best bet even if its just an ever so slightly better bet.
But if I am shooting, I like to pass mostly
If I'm shooting a long time, I like to make money
I was at the Freemont in Downtown Vegas playing craps
Was playing the Don't at a crowded table. People noticed but did not say anything to me.
Once I got the dice, switched to Pass
A lot of people were not betting, I guess they felt me unlucky and were waiting till the next shooter
Well I got hot and people were getting excited and laying down bets
I got so hot, other players were laying bets for me. Amazing. People were throwing bets on the table saying for the shooter
I made some nice scratch off that long roll without really betting much due other players placing bets for the hot shooter :-)
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
  • Jump to: