1 vote (4.76%)
2 votes (9.52%)

21 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1403
May 30th, 2017 at 3:25:30 PM permalink
I went to the Orleans today in part to check out Free Flop Hold 'Em. While I was there I noticed some four hard way place bets in craps. The evidently work like regular place bets but only win if the specified hard way is rolled before a seven. Wins pay 5 to 1. House edge, on a per bet resolved basis, is 14.29%.

That is about all there is to say about them but I do have a little more math on my Odds site.

The question for the poll is would you bet these?

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
BasesLoaded
BasesLoaded
  • Threads: 2
May 30th, 2017 at 3:44:30 PM permalink
Don't like the fact that the layout of these new bets encroaches on the COME area.

The COME bet is underappreciated as it is.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 29
May 30th, 2017 at 6:16:42 PM permalink
It would be interesting to work them on the comeout! As opposed to hop! Or all day.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 313
May 31st, 2017 at 2:57:07 AM permalink
For the same reason as the Big 6/8, it's inexcusable to have these boxes on the felt.

as far as "only win if the specified hard way is rolled before a seven", this different aspect just costs too much

PS: it is interesting that the probability of winning, and the HE, is the same regardless of the bet. It took me a moment to understand why.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 31st, 2017 at 9:56:56 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

...The(y) evidently work like regular place bets but only win if the specified hard way is rolled before a seven...]

Does that mean that, unlike "Hardway" bets, they don't lose if the specified number comes in "Easy"?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 313
May 31st, 2017 at 1:14:23 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Does that mean that, unlike "Hardway" bets, they don't lose if the specified number comes in "Easy"?

it has to mean that, otherwise having the same payout of 5:1 for each bet would mean different HE for hard 6 compared to hard 10, etc.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
May 31st, 2017 at 2:41:36 PM permalink

That is about all there is to say about them but I do have a little more math on my Odds site.

It looks to me that your side bet write-up from 2011 for Place the Hard Ways is the same thing as your new write-up Hard Way Place Bets.

Quote:

Place the Hard Ways
Place the Hard Ways is a proposition wager that was seen at the Orleans in Las Vegas in late 2011. It works like the other Place bets, except the point must be made the hard way. It differs from the Hard Way bets in that making the point the easy way does not cause a loss. There are four bets available, on the hard 4, 6, 8, and 10.

The following table shows the house edge is 14.3% per bet resolved.

Quote: Ayecarumba

Yes, that is what one of the dice dealers at the table told me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2017 at 3:05:56 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

PS: it is interesting that the probability of winning, and the HE, is the same regardless of the bet. It took me a moment to understand why.

Yes, it is. That is also true of the Any 7 bet, the probability of winning and house edge are both 1/6.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 31st, 2017 at 3:08:49 PM permalink
Quote: BlueEagle

It looks to me that your side bet write-up from 2011 for Place the Hard Ways is the same thing as your new write-up Hard Way Place Bets.

Dang. I had a suspicion that I had seen this somewhere before. That is why I had a choice for that in the poll. Am I getting senile or do people just forget things they saw six years ago?

Thank you for telling me.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 51
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
May 31st, 2017 at 3:25:42 PM permalink

Quote: BlueEagle

Dang. I had a suspicion that I had seen this somewhere before. That is why I had a choice for that in the poll. Am I getting senile or do people just forget things they saw six years ago?

Thank you for telling me.

I'm 25 and most days I can't remember what I had for breakfast, which is especially concerning because it's ALWAYS cheerios.

• Jump to: