Thread Rating:

guitarmandp
guitarmandp
  • Threads: 41
February 26th, 2015 at 8:10:55 AM permalink
I saw this player shoot from the don't. He had a $4,000 don't pass bet and he hopped the 7's for $396 and had a $90 yo to hedge the come out roll. Anyways point is 6 and I guess he didn't feel comfortable shooting from the donts with the point being 6 so he took his $4,000 don't pass bet off and he replaced it with $100 on the passline and $10,000 odds. He 7'd out immediately.

It's bad enough when I see somebody say "no action" when a 6 rolls on the don't come for $10 but why would you take a $4,000 don't bet down especially after you paid almost $500 to survive the come out roll?
bushman
bushman
  • Threads: 9
February 26th, 2015 at 8:20:46 AM permalink
You should have offered to buy some of his action.
Never count your winnings at hour 23 of a 24-hour drive.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 26th, 2015 at 8:21:54 AM permalink
Betting the "Don't" demonstrates a more sophisticated level of play than average. I suspect this is a strategy that he feels comfortable with. Was the amount an unusually large wager for the player?

I don't see alot of darkside players, but when I do, taking down a don't pass line bets when the point is 6 or 8 is not that uncommon.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 312
February 26th, 2015 at 8:27:12 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

taking down a don't pass line bets when the point is 6 or 8 is not that uncommon.

I saw someone do this at Cherokee.

to me it is the ultimate in following superstition/hunch and not caring about the math; I have to believe most who do it know that the math is against making the move, but are snakebit by the 6 and 8 getting rolled so much.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
February 26th, 2015 at 8:44:56 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I saw someone do this at Cherokee.

to me it is the ultimate in following superstition/hunch and not caring about the math; I have to believe most who do it know that the math is against making the move, but are snakebit by the 6 and 8 getting rolled so much.

While it makes me cringe, it is their money to play the way they want. As long as they are not telling me how to bet, I'm happy to let them be. Mathwise, it's five ways to lose vs. six ways to win. I can understand the sweat.
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
February 26th, 2015 at 9:43:32 AM permalink
Quote: guitarmandp

I saw this player shoot from the don't.

a rare breed

He

figures

had a $4,000 don't pass bet and he hopped the 7's for $396 and had a $90 yo to hedge the come out roll.

what color shoes was he wearing as this really matters in actual playing to win

Anyways point is 6 and I guess he didn't feel comfortable shooting from the donts with the point being 6

you should have asked him
why so shy?

It's bad enough when I see somebody say "no action"

why is it
bad enough
when someone plays a certain way with their money?

why you care?
bad vibes??
explain, please???

ROAR!

Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
February 26th, 2015 at 9:48:56 AM permalink
This is such a stupid question I can't even believe I am asking it, but I've never played from the don't pass line. So if I'm playing don't pass, and the point is 6 or 8 I can remove my bet? I know this is not possible on a pass line bet... But I assume the house allows it to be removed because there is a better chance of don't pass winning after the point is established?
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
February 26th, 2015 at 10:07:09 AM permalink

Betting the "Don't" demonstrates a more sophisticated level of play than average.

haha
say it isnt so

and shooting from the dont is even more sophisticated than being sophisticated?

and by average
you are really trying to say betting the right way
and not the wrong way

well,
as an ex dont pass player (dpass)
I know I could lower my $25 dpass bet after a point of 8 was established
at times I lowered it down to $10, but was told I could not increase it back up to what it was if I changed my mind (as I did often)
but could lay the odds instead (bet more to win less - lay)
that at first was confusing until the light switch went up and I got it.

dpass can also be taken down but can not be put back up until the next come out roll too

I also understand you can not move a dcome bet from one number to another as you can with a Lay bet or a place bet

there is a sweet level of sophisticated play on the "Don't"
Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 28
February 26th, 2015 at 10:13:51 AM permalink

Betting the "Don't" demonstrates a more sophisticated level of play than average...

Using this story alone as an example, I disagree. A lot of people whom are betting the don't, don't understand how it works much past "I've been losing on the pass all night, let me try this other way. I win on the 7 out now, right???"

Taking "no action" or pulling your don't pass bet on any number (let alone 6 or 8) shows a complete misunderstanding of the mathematics behind the game. It is quite possibly one of the dumbest decisions you could make when playing the don'ts. You literally take your bet which is a favorite, remove it, and subject your money to the most likely losing outcome again (when taking "no action").
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
February 26th, 2015 at 11:08:43 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Using this story alone as an example, I disagree. A lot of people whom are betting the don't, don't understand how it works much past "I've been losing on the pass all night, let me try this other way. I win on the 7 out now, right???"

Taking "no action" or pulling your don't pass bet on any number (let alone 6 or 8) shows a complete misunderstanding of the mathematics behind the game. It is quite possibly one of the dumbest decisions you could make when playing the don'ts. You literally take your bet which is a favorite, remove it, and subject your money to the most likely losing outcome again (when taking "no action").

If you use this story alone as an example, you would have to agree that this player was one of those that "understand(s) how it works". Now, the actions may be questionable from the math side, but he knew enough about the game to know that he was allowed to take down a Don't Pass bet, place the point, and back it with odds. This was not a newbie. I would call him more "sophisticated" than average (but not "wise", based on pulling down bets with a positive player edge).

I find most players who play the don't are doing so because they understand what they are doing. The "average" player will go with the crowd and bet with the shooter. The "average" Darksider knows that they are not making friends with their action. Whether they are committed to the math enough to consistently fight the variance is a different story. I wouldn't call him "dumb", I'd characterize it more as "scared".

• Jump to: