bodyforlife
bodyforlife
  • Threads: 32
January 30th, 2014 at 7:32:00 PM permalink
Allow me to vent please.

One of the managers at work is joining me and my wife in Vegas this weekend. I mentioned about 2 months ago that I would be going and she got excited about it, said she wanted to go, and told me she wanted to learn how to play craps. I thought that was cool and graciously told her I would take care of the room for her on Sat/Sun (she actually arrives on Fri, but is taking care of herself until I get into town). I got her a room at Encore, am covering dinner on Saturday night, got tickets to Le Rev after dinner, and will be hosting the party for the Superbowl (we'll be ordering some goodies from room service and watching the game in the room). I told her she needed to set aside 30 minutes so we can go over the logistics of the trip for her check in on Saturday night, and then I could give her a lesson using a computer simulated game. I sent her a text on Tuesday asking when she was in. She says 9:30. so I sent her a voicemail telling her we could get together between 10:30-11, 12-1, or any other time that would work. Her text back later that night was "wow,cool" (which needless to say, makes no sense). I popped by her office at 12, and she says "now what did you want to do, teach me craps on the computer?". I tell her yes, and if she was swamped today we could do something on Thursday and to just tell me when she was taking a break or going to lunch (I had a light day and could pretty much accommodate any time). She puts me down on her calendar for 10, but last night I get this e-mail..." Long story short, I want all the help you can give me for Vegas. But I'll take it in Vegas .. I'm cool with that; I have to take care of business in the morning. I'll see you on the strip.". So, she's cool with that...imagine that. She says she wants to spend the weekend with me and my wife, but she can't find 30 minutes to meet with me after I set this entire thing up. Not to mention, I'm not "cool" with trying to show someone how to play craps on a busy Saturday night on Superbowl/Chinese New Year's weekend. Seriously wtf?!!

P.S. The reason I said I might not gamble at all is I'm pissed and I don't do well when I'm angry. Of course, I probably will, it just won't be with her.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 30th, 2014 at 8:29:38 PM permalink
She just sounds busy. Why don't you take a pair of dice with you and teach her the basics in the hotel room when you check her in?

Worst case scenario she stands next to you on a crap table and you can teach her there.

I would cool it with the computer craps. In my experience, women don't actually want to learn the intricacies of games. They just want some explanation at the table.

It was nice of you to get her rooms and dinner, though. I am sure she will appreciate that.
bw
bw
  • Threads: 7
January 30th, 2014 at 10:27:23 PM permalink
She wants to go to Vegas, the wanting to learn to play craps may have just been a little chit chat, sounds like she really doesn't care about learning much.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
January 30th, 2014 at 10:33:22 PM permalink
I agree with sodawater. I can understand your frustration, but it doesn't sound like some huge, inexcusable faux pas on her part. Plus, all she really needs is a quick explanation of the Pass Line anyway. It should take no more than a couple minutes.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
  • Threads: 0
January 31st, 2014 at 1:01:08 AM permalink
Just understand the individual differences. Otherwise you will push people away. She may just be interested in the fact of going to vegas, along with the fact that she will have her own personal trainer in regards to the games. But, do not be hurt or disappointed if she does not make big over it all. Most are not inthralled with all of the hoopla. This probably will be a one time shot @ vegas for her for the year or longer... with the fact that shes getting free rooms shes going to take advantage of that as that does not happen all time. So she gets to go to Vegas on the cheapo & will take advantage of as much activities she can while there. More the merrier.!! Just enjoy it all with her, enjoy the excitement through her eyes it may change you. Not everyone is a Baller as you . Not many take care or cover the cost of rooms & dinner for people on an average daily situation. So if she seems a bit apprehensive please understand why. To her it seems as if you are boasting or bragging perhaps.
bodyforlife
bodyforlife
January 31st, 2014 at 2:50:17 AM permalink
Quote: bw

She wants to go to Vegas, the wanting to learn to play craps may have just been a little chit chat, sounds like she really doesn't care about learning much.

Agree

Sorry, corvette. But where I come from, when someone does something nice for you, it's not boasting or bragging (I have no idea where you get that from). And it's typical to at least say "thank you". As one member in my gym said who I shared this story with...."it sounds like she's elevated herself to rock star status and she's doing you a favor by going". Yeah, this situation is more akin to my sister-in-law who consistently shows up 45 minutes late for everything because her time is more important than anyone else. She can't even sit down for 5 minutes to coordinate how to get together when we get into town. Simply rude.

I'm moving on guys. Thanks for the responses.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 31st, 2014 at 7:15:00 AM permalink
You didn't say so I'll ask. Is the room that you're taking care of for this woman on Saturday and Sunday comped to you? Is this woman your superior, subordinate or equal at work?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
January 31st, 2014 at 11:06:37 AM permalink
Gotta be honest, I'm with the OP. If someone is giving you something valued over a few hundred dollars at, then you should be required to sit through their boring crap. To be honest, I like talking about gaming math, but to her it is boring crap. She should have given you a half an hour, but it is my recommendation to not make it into something.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
bodyforlife
bodyforlife
January 31st, 2014 at 12:19:02 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

Gotta be honest, I'm with the OP. If someone is giving you something valued over a few hundred dollars at, then you should be required to sit through their boring crap. To be honest, I like talking about gaming math, but to her it is boring crap. She should have given you a half an hour, but it is my recommendation to not make it into something.

Thank you ahiromu. And 1bb, she is a manager but in a different area (we used to work together). The room and the show are comped. The dinner is not. Admittedly, it would be over a thousand dollar value if she paid retail, but I'm not out anything other than dinner. And even if I was, I'm not the type of person that would cancel it or anything. I just felt like venting regardless if anyone agreed with me, and the forum served its purpose (so I feel better and appreciate the comments). When she decides to call, we'll have a chat and determine if she wants to spend time with me and my wife or not. If not, she can have a good time in Vegas on her own and will be staying in a very nice suite (nothing wrong with that...I have a wonderful time when I'm solo in Vegas).
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
January 31st, 2014 at 1:49:54 PM permalink
I agree, A Thank You would be in order. Once the trip is complete. They should at least send you a card thanking you. However, I am just stating that often times something as this is taken as boasting or bragging. Believe me up until this year I was doing the same thing for coworkers & got treated bad for it in return so I asked why & that (boasting, bragging) is what I was told. Yes that memner that told you they elevated themself to rock star status is correct, They now believe that you WANT them there in your life. First & foremost I want to point out how many peoples thought processes are. So the scenario is that yo uare a male & the coworker you invited to vegas is female. The first thing a female would think is... , "What does he want from me in return?" "Am I willing"? We all know that anytime you are in a club or bar the old addage is that if a male purchases & orders a drink for a female that is a notion that the male is interested in that female somehow & it usually warrants something in return. So when I say that they probably see it as yo uboasting or bragging that is because that is generally the outlook on this & I have been in your position & was treated less than for it in the end & know others as well that were taken advantage of . So Yes of course a thank you is on order, I would be proud if someone extended that offer to me. It is strange that I never get that offer & I know there is people in my walk of life daily that coudl extend that but do not so........ I would be safe in saying that if you extended that offer to your coworker & not the other coworker then they begin to wonder why. What is it you want from them? & you stated that wife will be accompanying so then people begin to think you & your wife may want someone else in between your relationship if you get my drift. I wasnt pointing any fingers or saying that there was not a thank you due.
bodyforlife
bodyforlife
January 31st, 2014 at 2:28:07 PM permalink
I'm sorry corvette, but we can agree to disagree on this one. You are completely off base on your insinuation. In no way would she, or any of my co-workers think that I am propositioning her. None. She is not even in the same ballpark as the other women at work (not even close). She is in her mid-40s and most of the other women are in their 20's. It would be like if you were in the room with a bunch of women rated a "10" and you decided you wanted to go after the "5". And as stated, she doesn't even work directly with me, so there's nothing revolving around work that she could do for me. In addition, I have gotten rooms for a couple of guys before also (so it's not like it's out of the ordinary)...and they were very gracious about it. Your experience with this is not the same as mine.
bodyforlife
bodyforlife
January 31st, 2014 at 2:49:41 PM permalink
And btw, Gents, she just called me and we had a chat. I told her where I stood on everything, including the "her time seemed more important than mine" comment. She apologized, thought she had told me she had a family emergency that had her throwing up all day Thursday (she didn't even go into work), and completely understood how I felt. She said she definitely wanted to learn and wanted to hang out with me and my wife, and was so looking forward to the show and dinner, and watching the Superbowl together. Problem solved. I'm happy now that I know what was going on. She's also glad we cleared the air before the weekend started and said she was so appreciative that I am always honest with her (which I am...I don't beat around the bush with anyone because at my age, the filter is off). I'm a very young 54 and a grandfather to boot. I don't have time for playing games with people and trying to figure out where they stand on things, so for me, a direct comment and response is best. If it pisses someone off, so be it.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
January 31st, 2014 at 3:00:29 PM permalink
Man, that must have really ticked you off. lol
bodyforlife
bodyforlife
January 31st, 2014 at 3:08:12 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Man, that must have really ticked you off. lol

Thanks for the comment, Beethoven. However, the 5th is better.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
January 31st, 2014 at 3:38:55 PM permalink
Quote: bodyforlife

Thanks for the comment, Beethoven.

You're welcome. Enjoyed the funny story.
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
February 1st, 2014 at 1:17:33 PM permalink
"She is not even in the same ballpark as the other women at work (not even close). She is in her mid-40s and most of the other women are in their 20's. "

Exactly my point, it is the one that you chose. It was not random.

"there's nothing revolving around work that she could do for me"

Really !?
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
February 1st, 2014 at 1:25:45 PM permalink
If it were me, I would think you shallow if you got upset because you thought that my time was more important than yours just because you offereed me a free room & dinner in vegas .
So it seems to me that you are expecting something in return & that this gracious offer you extended has expectations tied to it or you get upset & frustrated. So its not just an offer you tossed out randomly without care whether the offer was accepted or not. I would have to ask the question, " is your wife not enough excitement & entertainment for you?" Why would you need another involved at any level? Why would your happiness be contingent upon another? Your wife should be enough for you to watch the superbowl with or gamble with or derive excitement from.
So I say you will be out much more than dinner on this. The comps that you are extending to this coworker cost you as well as your wife in play at some point we all know this. So to say that dinner is all you would be out is untrue.
I am not pointing a finger at anyone person, I am merily generalizing per your scenario (venting)
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 1st, 2014 at 1:37:32 PM permalink
Don't forget the show. A Le Reve ticket has got to be $150. Speaking in broad generalities, I would feel awkward doing something like this. I think charging a nominal fee for the room might remove some of the awkwardness but I could not see myself doing this unless it was for a special family member or life long friend. Even then things could go sideways quickly.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 1st, 2014 at 2:10:19 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Speaking in broad generalities, I would feel awkward doing something like this. I think charging a nominal fee for the room might remove some of the awkwardness but I could not see myself doing this unless it was for a special family member or life long friend.

I agree. I didn't want to say it earlier since the OP sounds like he has a temper, but I'd never cover dinner, a room, and a show for one of my co-workers. It just gets too awkward, and things can go south very quickly (as we've already seen). Also, I'm surprised his wife didn't find the whole thing a bit strange.

I should go play craps tonight at Encore. Might see an entertaining fight at the table. lol
SFB
SFB
  • Threads: 2
February 1st, 2014 at 3:42:21 PM permalink
B4L:

I hope you have fun playing craps this weekend, and enjoy the game, and have fun.

Maybe you are just a nice guy. And do well in your job or financially and you wanted to show someone a good time in LV. And you got into this thing with this former co-worker, who wanted to learn how to play craps.

I like to play craps at home, and I try to get those who are coming over to play, to learn how beforehand.... I would send them the link to WOV's online game, and even a one card easy explanation I picked up from the Flamingo... And, they don't care.

Really they don't. ( I have a small sample size, maybe twenty to thirty, and with long lead times till play date, sometimes several weeks... guys and gals) They just want to be told what to do when they get there. They committed to paying and losing what ever they brought to the table. So, you end up standing at the rail with your chips, and explaining the PL and maybe place bets...

Craps isn't the easiest game to learn, and having someone to explain it is pretty cool. Someone on "your side"...

So, I can understand your frustration, you wanted to "help" by getting the training out of the way somewhat, so that you could play your game, and she could have fun and play "hers".

And that wasn't working....

Then you chatted more with her, and got to understanding with her. That's great.

I could discuss the relationship piece of this in greater depth, but it doesn't matter...

SFB
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 1st, 2014 at 4:53:06 PM permalink
I would cut her off until she learned how to calculate hardway payouts as well as middle bets without making a mistake.

Also better to have 2 5's then a 10. Because 10's are unicorns.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
February 1st, 2014 at 5:32:49 PM permalink
Why craps? Look at senators and congressmen, they play bingo all day long.
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
February 1st, 2014 at 5:36:31 PM permalink
I do know that if someone gave me a complete free ride on rooms in Vegas I would take advantage of any & all that I could in Vegas., not just gambling & with that said I am an avid craps player however.
As well on the other end of the spectrum. If I was the wife in this scenario I would be livid if my hubby was frivoulously giving away what we worked soo hard at attaining in comps. I would be even more unhappy knowing that I as the wife am not enough in this relationship for you & that you need other people to be around for your happiness. Hince you being frustrated that the coworker would not give you time of day.
Yet, if I give something as comps I would give with no expectations attached.
Last but not least... Do you not have any family that you could bestow those comps upon & enjoy their time shared with you as they take advantage of such? It is my belief that you could actually expect more from them than the coworker as far as giving you the time of day.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 1st, 2014 at 8:43:27 PM permalink
Quote: corvetteracing

"She is not even in the same ballpark as the other women at work (not even close). She is in her mid-40s and most of the other women are in their 20's. "

Exactly my point, it is the one that you chose. It was not random.

"there's nothing revolving around work that she could do for me"

Really !?

Moms Mabley : Ain’t nothing an old man can do for me but bring me a message from a young one.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
February 1st, 2014 at 9:33:50 PM permalink
I would never broach the conversation of gambling @ work even though I for many years went every weekend plus all holidays. I am sure that my superior could along the way figure it out & did & that is why today I am recently unemployed. forced resignation.
I would never tell my coworkers where I was & what I was doing. Because if Im ill one day out of work or sick @ work they would blame my bad personal habits for that. I could lose credibility @ work. If someone strikes a conversation in regards to the subject I entretain the conversation but still would never go to the magnitude of offering free rooms, a show & dinner. If they were sincerly interested they would let me know in so many ways & perhaps @ that point I would cut a deal with them that would almost be as good as free. Just my 2 cents. Heck I worked for that comp, let them work for their own, they will appreciate much better. When people engage in that type of conversation @ work in that indepth as to offer freebies we all look at them with pity because we know they are braggers & have no friends because they push people away from them. By the way thats why there is those people @ the table called dealers.
  • Jump to: