NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
January 9th, 2014 at 6:02:18 PM permalink
I have mentioned before, back in the 90's, there was a group of older gentlemen who played craps all day at Binions and the then taken over Mint. Every day you would see them filling up the craps tables and playing white $1.usd chips. I assume at the time they were actually making a living doing this or at least, earning a small supplement to their SS checks.

Is there actually a way to grind out $50-$100.usd a day playing craps in Las Vegas and living happily ever after? It must be related to discipline but I don't know which wagers etc.. Most of them seemed to be on the pass line with single or double odds despite 100X being on offer.

It wasn't a hobby, all of them were serious, no emotions shown.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 9th, 2014 at 6:04:57 PM permalink
what you saw was retired guys killing time. they weren't making a living.

craps is a very tough game to beat without cheating. the best you can do is play to pick up "sleepers" on crowded games but even that is of nebulous legal status.

the only people who make money off "discipline" are dominatrixes. "Discipline" doesn't make a dent in the house edge.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 9th, 2014 at 6:05:31 PM permalink
No. Just no.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
January 9th, 2014 at 6:07:33 PM permalink
It ain't discipline that makes one a winner at craps. It's luck.

Probably just a group of financially secure dudes enjoying a hobby.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
January 9th, 2014 at 6:10:55 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

+1

Those old guys were no different than old guys who are at the golf course every day.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
NokTang
NokTang
January 9th, 2014 at 6:14:13 PM permalink

craps is a very tough game to beat without cheating. the best you can do is play to pick up "sleepers" on crowded games but even that is of nebulous legal status.

the only people who make money off "discipline" are dominatrixes. "Discipline" doesn't make a dent in the house edge.

What sort of cheating do you refer? And should we assume they are waiting for someone to doze off(or die) and then grab his chips?
NokTang
NokTang
January 9th, 2014 at 6:16:27 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

+1

Those old guys were no different than old guys who are at the golf course every day.

I guess that's possible, some others must play poker all day, and some even bridge and gin rummy. But the craps crowd caught my eye back then as I also like craps and I'm close to retirement. In addition, there weren't stools provided in the 90's.
NokTang
NokTang
January 9th, 2014 at 6:20:37 PM permalink

the only people who make money off "discipline" are dominatrixes.

That must be a tough life. We have it here but it's all fake, the women just need and want money. They don't actually enjoy whipping guys tied up and hung by their ankles. Not to digress but putting knock out drugs in the guys drink or on their nipples has become more and more the norm vs. actually providing a painful service to him/them. The ladyboys are also in full force.
darthvader
darthvader
  • Threads: 11
January 9th, 2014 at 6:55:16 PM permalink
Quite sure one couldn't do it on the light side. Have pondered if one could on the dark. Yes, I know that the math is roughly the same. But cold tables do seem more prevalent than hot ones.
7-out, line away, pay the don't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEcwAWi6dk
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
January 9th, 2014 at 7:01:59 PM permalink
Quote: NokTang

What sort of cheating do you refer? And should we assume they are waiting for someone to doze off(or die) and then grab his chips?

Sleepers are bets that people abandon, or forget they made. You can claim them if you're quick and paying attention.

Another way to angle out an edge is to keep come or DC odds working on a comeout roll on a busy table. Sometimes the dealers will return your odds if you lose.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
January 9th, 2014 at 7:08:10 PM permalink
I'm trying to give this an honest thought and have some ideas.

1) Shill. This position does exist but is said to only be useful for the Poker rooms. It's possible having someone at a craps table might be useful but not so many.

2)There was some talk about syndicates in Macau. I'm sure whoever bets for the pool would be paid something and keep the perks such as points. Doubtful for small stakes.

3)Hustlers. Maybe they bet small and hustle people for tips for winning them money, but seems the employees would not like this.

All in all, doesn't seem likely even offshoots from playing would put them into positive territory.
I am a robot.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
January 9th, 2014 at 8:49:47 PM permalink

Agreed, especially if they were just betting $1 chips.

But there is the possibility of someone getting lucky and having a good run. And someone who did have a good run, or two, might be inclined to hang out a shingle that says "professional," but the reality is they just got lucky.

Of course the other way to be a "professional" and make a living playing craps is to teach the game. I'm surprised no one mentioned that yet.
darthvader
darthvader
January 9th, 2014 at 9:09:50 PM permalink
DC odds are always working by default on a come out roll.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 9th, 2014 at 10:26:27 PM permalink

They have music, specials, somewhere to go, someone to be with... its a retirement routine. Its a small town Senior Center moved to the reality of Las Vegas and the reality of losses is worth it to them because otherwise all they have is the reality of match sticks.
mds
mds
  • Threads: 50
January 9th, 2014 at 10:50:43 PM permalink
Yes, the edge isn't on your side but with such a low HE cant you really have the edge sometimes? 2 years of winning (Knock on wood) has been just dumb luck! Dammm! Dark side and wait. No emotion. I feel I do have discipline. I feel it works. What would you do at this table... Play the dp, first roll 8, put odds, next comes a 7. Winner. Same thing happens 5 more times. You are up whatever you are up and walk! DONT LOOK BACK! Session 1 over and walked a winner. discipline? Luck? both? Do I think this will happen all the time, no. The 7 does always come up at some point. Look, you need a roll one way or the other and it seems to me the 7 will come up more times than not. odds are a good guide to use but they aren't the gospel.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
January 10th, 2014 at 12:28:11 PM permalink
Quote: mds

Yes, the edge isn't on your side but with such a low HE cant you really have the edge sometimes?

Nope!
Quote:

2 years of winning (Knock on wood) has been just dumb luck! Dammm!

I'm right there with you brother. I admit that I am lucky and play infrequently enough that I can sustain positive variance on the order of years.

Quote:

Dark side and wait. No emotion. I feel I do have discipline. I feel it works. What would you do at this table... Play the dp, first roll 8, put odds, next comes a 7. Winner. Same thing happens 5 more times. You are up whatever you are up and walk! DONT LOOK BACK! Session 1 over and walked a winner. discipline? Luck? both? Do I think this will happen all the time, no. The 7 does always come up at some point. Look, you need a roll one way or the other and it seems to me the 7 will come up more times than not. odds are a good guide to use but they aren't the gospel.

Yes, you are experiencing luck, also known as positive variance.

Admit that you are bucking a small disadvantage and you will be a happier person when it inevitably all comes crashing down. What happens when the first 5 bets all lose due to made points? Have you never sat down at a hot table? It will happen.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 10th, 2014 at 1:06:49 PM permalink
You can never get the edge, but simulation shows you can be a lifetime winner at Craps. To have much of a chance, it needs to be at least 10X odds IMO. I say "my opinion" because the subjective thing is the percentage; two might disagree over whether a 30% chance is "much of a chance", just to pick a number.

The thing is, in no way can you count on this. In fact I would have to say that the perversity of hoping for it, if you need it, would mean you are almost certainly doomed. The guy who would succeed would be the guy who doesn't need the money.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ClarkWGriswold
ClarkWGriswold
  • Threads: 8
January 10th, 2014 at 1:07:37 PM permalink
The math doesn't suggest it, however;
If you lived in Las Vegas and had a $10k bankroll, you might be able to make $100 a day playing the darkside religiously.
"I am your average American gambling idiot" - Me
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 10th, 2014 at 1:25:41 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

You can never get the edge, but simulation shows you can be a lifetime winner at Craps. To have much of a chance, it needs to be at least 10X odds IMO. I say "my opinion" because the subjective thing is the percentage; two might disagree over whether a 30% chance is "much of a chance", just to pick a number.

You are doing it wrong. To maximize your chances of being a lifetime winner, play until you are ahead any amount, and then never play again. Probabilities exceeding 99.999% are possible without leaving Vegas.
NokTang
NokTang
January 10th, 2014 at 7:47:00 PM permalink
Quote: ClarkWGriswold

If you lived in Las Vegas and had a $10k bankroll, you might be able to make $100 a day playing the darkside religiously.

I would think so, but it seems like at least once a week you might go down 2-3000.usd in a session and then have too big a hill to climb back up. The secret would be avoiding the big losses.
darthvader
darthvader
January 10th, 2014 at 8:28:43 PM permalink
Quote: NokTang

I would think so, but it seems like at least once a week you might go down 2-3000.usd in a session and then have too big a hill to climb back up. The secret would be avoiding the big losses.

Yes, avoiding the big loss (particularly on a single hot shooter) is the key to dark side success. When people cry of dark side losses, it is always from chasing a single shooter. Getting stung by a run of consecutive shooters (while mathematically equivalent) is practically less likely (at least in my experience). Smart advice even if you're not trying to make a living on it.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
January 11th, 2014 at 1:12:52 AM permalink
Quote: ClarkWGriswold

OK, then where are these religious darksiders?
Fighting BS one post at a time!
NokTang
NokTang
January 11th, 2014 at 2:03:55 AM permalink
Quote: darthvader

Yes, avoiding the big loss (particularly on a single hot shooter) is the key to dark side success. When people cry of dark side losses, it is always from chasing a single shooter. Getting stung by a run of consecutive shooters (while mathematically equivalent) is practically less likely (at least in my experience). Smart advice even if you're not trying to make a living on it.

With limited live action in my area, I will sometimes play the game on this site. Quitting after winning $1000.usd and betting $100.usd on the don't with single odds laid. I assume it's computer generated and random. I can say I win three out of four "sessions" but that fourth kills me. I guess I could quit and start over if get down $1000.usd? Reset the game or just log off etc..
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 11th, 2014 at 2:45:49 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

You are doing it wrong. To maximize your chances of being a lifetime winner, play until you are ahead any amount, and then never play again.

What I mean by being a lifetime winner, is to continue playing as a matter of definition. The complication comes from what would be lifetime Action to one person, and lifetime Action to another. Wincraps simulation has shown "some percent" of lifetime winners for 50,000 and 100,000 rolls. But that's lifetime for some, not for others.

play until you are ahead any amount, and then never play again.

Who does that anyway?

Quote: me

10x odds or more exclusively.

Who does that anyway? You need a huge bankroll.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
mds
mds
January 11th, 2014 at 8:05:16 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Nope!

I'm right there with you brother. I admit that I am lucky and play infrequently enough that I can sustain positive variance on the order of years.

Yes, you are experiencing luck, also known as positive variance.

Admit that you are bucking a small disadvantage and you will be a happier person when it inevitably all comes crashing down. What happens when the first 5 bets all lose due to made points? Have you never sat down at a hot table? It will happen.

Answers for you.

Yes sadly I have lost. Built a wing at the Bellagio due to losses at the Mirage. that was years ago and as you know you mature and hopefully get smarter as you age.. I have been very lucky for almost 3 years (Knock on wood again) and I am very careful of the bubble bursting. I know it should/will...

Ok, I can Accept your answer of "Nope" Don't like it but totally accept it.

Is 10 times a year for four hours a day for 3 day trips considered infrequent?

I will never see 5 points made as I leave the table after two points made. But, Then I might start going with the shooter. After all a hot table is a hot table. :)

So, can we put the odds in our favor due to intangibles like discipline. Knowing (Guessing) when to sit out a roll, when to leave the table or by just leaving a winner and not looking back? Or is the math the math?
dwm
dwm
  • Threads: 33
January 11th, 2014 at 8:25:31 PM permalink
It is just one long lifetime session hand, timing when to leave and discipline does not help.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 11th, 2014 at 8:57:32 PM permalink
Leaving works only if you never come back.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
  • Threads: 0
January 11th, 2014 at 10:35:36 PM permalink
Amen!! the head on the nail, there it is !
corvetteracing
corvetteracing
January 11th, 2014 at 10:36:09 PM permalink
Well stated !! Bravo
Quote: AlanMendelson

Agreed, especially if they were just betting $1 chips.

But there is the possibility of someone getting lucky and having a good run. And someone who did have a good run, or two, might be inclined to hang out a shingle that says "professional," but the reality is they just got lucky.

Of course the other way to be a "professional" and make a living playing craps is to teach the game. I'm surprised no one mentioned that yet.

corvetteracing
corvetteracing
January 11th, 2014 at 10:38:35 PM permalink
I like nothing better than a hot table, I love to warm the table up & always had very hot rolls. I thrive on that !!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
January 14th, 2014 at 4:26:19 AM permalink
I decided to use wincraps to simulate bankrolls after one million rolls of the dice. To say that would exceed a lifetime at Craps is putting it mildly. However, for the winner below it also represents about 296 thousand come-out rolls, something squeezed into the realm of possibility of lifetime [especially with come betting] for some guy somewhere.

I simulated 2 players; both only played line bets with full 10x odds, but odds bets off in come-out. One player made all come bets all the time, with full odds etc, the other player never made a come bet. Starting bankroll zero. They never pressed. For the first 5 trials, both were lifetime losers. On the 6th, however, the latter player was up about 4200 units [not dollars] after that one millionth roll. At a $10 table, $42,000. At one point he was down almost $23,000. The other player, who naturally had a lot more action, was down at one million rolls.

Am I trying to encourage someone to think he can be a lifetime winner at craps? No. This guy was lucky to need such a small bankroll. Yes, small - compared to typical. The reality of 10x odds or more is huge bankroll requirements. And of course, lucky period. But not insanely lucky, on the 6th attempt I simulated a winner, you can conclude what you like from that. The problems IMO in order of consequence are:

*needing a large bankroll and the true willingness to see it gone

*needing luck to win or only have modest losses ultimately [that the player will be down huge at some point is almost a given]

*sticking to bets that keep HE close to zero. These guys should have turned on the odds during the come-out, for example.

*bottom line: although being a lifetime winner is possible, nobody does this.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 14th, 2014 at 4:40:04 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I decided to use wincraps

Sorry. Its early and I've not had coffee (or anything stronger) yet.
I read that as deciding to use witchcraft.

I can't help but think its a scalper's game. Get in, get out. Get lucky or get lost.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
January 14th, 2014 at 7:11:31 AM permalink

Getting stung by a run of consecutive shooters (while mathematically equivalent) is practically less likely (at least in my experience)..

Sweet. So those dice know when they're going to a different shooter?

I'd be less concerned about beating craps and more concerned that the dice are achieving sentience.
PhattyD
PhattyD
January 14th, 2014 at 7:24:39 AM permalink
At an indian casino I frequent, I've noticed a lot of players don't play odds on thier line bets. Might be able to ask these players if I could play behind them. Would be pretty bold, but profitable.
Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 14th, 2014 at 7:34:18 AM permalink
Quote: PhattyD

At an indian casino I frequent, I've noticed a lot of players don't play odds on thier line bets. Might be able to ask these players if I could play behind them. Would be pretty bold, but profitable.

They probably don't even know about the Odds Bet, though I sure would not recommend you become some craps tutor for the casino. It often annoys people to have someone yapping at them when they are having fun losing money. And if they are there with a broad they don't want you moving in on the broad or showing them up to her as being ignorant of the "manly" game of craps!
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
January 14th, 2014 at 7:44:13 AM permalink
I get more convinced that the best way to beat craps is to wait for field numbers like 4 or 11 to start to show up and then bet 9 and three way craps. You need to hit craps numbers once to get in a plus zone.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
January 14th, 2014 at 8:24:15 AM permalink

Is that casino down toward Needles?
petroglyph
petroglyph
January 14th, 2014 at 8:25:21 AM permalink
Quote: sabre

Sweet. So those dice know when they're going to a different shooter?

I'd be less concerned about beating craps and more concerned that the dice are achieving sentience.

Now that right there, that is funny. Lol
PhattyD
PhattyD
January 14th, 2014 at 8:40:09 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Is that casino down toward Needles?

Only if Needles is a town in ND. Or if Needles is that homeless guy I drive by on the way there.
Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
hook3670
hook3670
  • Threads: 38
January 14th, 2014 at 8:57:43 AM permalink
"Combining the pass line with the odds, the overall house edge is 0.021%. I'm quite sure that is the lowest house edge on a table game anywhere in Vegas." The Wizard wrote this in his review of the Casino Royale. Now I think they have changed their rules since. However, if this still existed and you combined this with a somewhat generous players card, would you be able to grind out a small profit in the long run playing this?
petroglyph
petroglyph
January 14th, 2014 at 9:50:09 AM permalink

Only if Needles is a town in ND. Or if Needles is that homeless guy I drive by on the way there.

Referencing the op, I'm sure someone can make a living playing craps. The only question is for how long.

To PhattyD, I posted too quickly without looking at your bio, I thought you were in Nevada. I was asking about Needles California near an Indian casino that I frequent. Oops.
darthvader
darthvader
January 14th, 2014 at 10:18:23 AM permalink
Quote: hook3670

"Combining the pass line with the odds, the overall house edge is 0.021%. I'm quite sure that is the lowest house edge on a table game anywhere in Vegas." The Wizard wrote this in his review of the Casino Royale. Now I think they have changed their rules since. However, if this still existed and you combined this with a somewhat generous players card, would you be able to grind out a small profit in the long run playing this?

To get the HE down that low requires very high odds. That ups the variance higher than many players can endure. Variance is why Vegas wins much more than the math suggests.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 14th, 2014 at 11:21:35 AM permalink
Quote: hook3670

Only if they are dumb enough to include your odds in your rating.

In other words, if you are playing $5 pass line with $500 odds, most places will rate you at $5, not $500 or $505.

Since the odds bet doesn't change the EV, you will lose the same amount, after comps, as you would if you were playing $5 with no odds. The variance will just be much, much higher.

Now, if they DID rate you for the odds bet and comp you accordingly, then you could certainly do very well to be treated as a $500 player while losing an average of 7 cents per decision. But I'm pretty sure that they are not that dumb.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 14th, 2014 at 11:26:50 AM permalink
" But I'm pretty sure that they are not that dumb. " Casino owners rarely as dumb as crap players. Ever seen Steve Wynn playing craps ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Sonny44
Sonny44
  • Threads: 13
January 14th, 2014 at 12:52:28 PM permalink

To get the HE down that low requires very high odds. That ups the variance higher than many players can endure. Variance is why Vegas wins much more than the math suggests.

Could you define "variance" for me?
darthvader
darthvader
January 14th, 2014 at 1:08:15 PM permalink
Quote: Sonny44

Could you define "variance" for me?

In gross terms, it refers to the possible spread of results. That is, even if the average expected loss per session is very low, some sessions will see significant losses, while others will see significant wins. It's due to the natural variation of the game. The casino has an infinite bankroll, while the player does not. So often a significant loss will "break" a player, not allowing him the chance to win it back.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 14th, 2014 at 1:21:23 PM permalink

In gross terms, it refers to the possible spread of results. That is, even if the average expected loss per session is very low, some sessions will see significant losses, while others will see significant wins. It's due to the natural variation of the game. The casino has an infinite bankroll, while the player does not. So often a significant loss will "break" a player, not allowing him the chance to win it back.

Three points:

1. The casino does not have an infinite bankroll. This is one reason that they have max bets.

2. In a -EV game, high variance helps the player and hurts the casino (at least, in some sense). The player cannot win without variance. The maximum bet that the casino can (or, at least, should) accept is limited by variance. In general, when you have the edge, low variance is beneficial because you can make larger bets with that edge.

3. The claim that higher variance leads the casino to show higher wins than they otherwise would is untrue. While it is true that several players will lose more and bust out faster than they otherwise would with lower variance, this is exactly offset by the players who win. Just like no betting system can beat a negative expectation game, no betting system can change the expectation of a game to be "more negative". The expectation is the expectation, and that (multiplied by the total amount bet) defines what the casino will win in the long term, assuming that they do not bust out first.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
January 14th, 2014 at 1:39:45 PM permalink
It more or less still exists. They changed the signage and the hours. There is now a minimum bet to get 100x odds at Casino Royale but you can get 100x odds elsewhere and 20x odds as well in several places. 10x odds in a few. 5x and its almost identical twin 3x4x5x is available in half the joints in town.

Yes, small profit.... until you get TOO MANY of those comped drinks and too many sequences against you. If you have to include air fare, your profit evaporates. If you live in Vegas.... you will probably make just about enough to wonder if a different hobby would have been more fun.
mds
mds
January 14th, 2014 at 1:47:15 PM permalink

Caesars, Cosmo, Harrah's do count odds in your avg...
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
January 14th, 2014 at 2:12:23 PM permalink

But I'm pretty sure that they are not that dumb.

Some are and do. Even in Vegas. This is why I am always carfull to include the word "unless" when I say systems dont work.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
  • Jump to: