petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
November 6th, 2013 at 8:53:44 PM permalink
The travelling Vietnam Memorial Wall will be in Laughlin Nevada at the Tropicana November 10, 2013
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 6th, 2013 at 9:07:35 PM permalink
I remember all us Vietnam Era Vets being upset at the design of the original memorial . We were as wrong about that as the war itself.
was. Mohammed Ali called it right.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
November 6th, 2013 at 9:20:55 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I remember all us Vietnam Era Vets being upset at the design of the original memorial . We were as wrong about that as the war itself.

My ex and I participated in the reading of the names several times whenever it came through Florida. It's an honor and very moving. He was the only survivor of his Blue Team at one point, and they're all on there. I saw the big one first in 1993, before I met him. I think it's the most meaningful memorial for me, along with Thomas Jefferson's.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
1BB
1BB
November 7th, 2013 at 8:30:36 AM permalink

Much of the controversy was over the ethnicity of the young woman who designed the memorial. Rumors abounded that she was Vietnamese. She was not, in fact she was an American citizen by birth.

Buzz, were you ever spat upon or called a baby killer? I went through some of the major airports during the war, in uniform, and not once did that happen to me nor did I personally know anyone that it happened to.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
November 7th, 2013 at 9:35:57 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Buzz, were you ever spat upon or called a baby killer? I went through some of the major airports during the war, in uniform, and not once did that happen to me nor did I personally know anyone that it happened to.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you received in general? I think the spitting that happened would only have happened sporadically when there was a large group around. But today while people get thanked for their service (thank you both, and anyone else out there btw) I think what happened to most was they got ignored and kind of had 400 days of their life missing when they came back.

I did hear a story when I was a kid (late Vietnam Era) about a guy was a Green Beret having a beer in the bar near the recruiting office. Two guys hassled him but he ignored them. They poured a beer over his head and you can imagine what happened before the cops got there. Bartender told the cops to leave the guy alone.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
November 7th, 2013 at 10:14:41 AM permalink
I also went through the major airports in uniform and was never accosted in any way, and this was both before and after My Lai...
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 7th, 2013 at 11:01:29 AM permalink
No harassment, but what used to piss me off was that on tv shows the nut job was always a Vietnam Vet. And killers in the newspaper was often painted with that same brush, which 90% of the time was not true. And of course those politicians who bragged about their sacrifices in Vietnam, until exposed as liars.

But quite a few vets made it back in one piece, but had trouble surviving here. I worked with a guy named Thomas Shanaman. He was one of only 3 survivors in his unit. But I found that out second hand, he never talked about it. Worked evening with him for several years. Great guy to work with. After things slowed at 8pm, he would carry the load and fight for something to work on. On
weekends he would work on crossword puzzles when things were slow. Anything not to put his brain in neutral, I guess. He rode the
bus home and would grab a 6 pack at the corner liquor store.

They AT&T forced us to another location and Tom was on days. Last time I spoke to him he had 153 days until he could take early
retirement. He never made double digits. A month later he shot himself in the head. They played this song at his funeral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzdigxCIuOE

Just before I retired somebody introduced me to a new hire. Thomas Shanaman Jr. Nice kid. I told him his Dad was a hell of a nice guy. Always regretted I could not tell him anymore than that !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
petroglyph
petroglyph
November 7th, 2013 at 11:30:14 AM permalink
Lest we forget

I send this song every year to a vet, it has been the most emotionally moving war ballad for me ever.

First let me preface this by saying, the term "Waltzing Matilda" is Australian slang for going camping. A national favorite pastime for the people from "down under"

That said this ballad does reference waltzing Matilda but is not that song, this is the ballad of Gallipolee or Souvla bay. Haven't met a Vet yet who didn't empathize.

http://youtu.be/PFCekeoSTwg
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 7th, 2013 at 11:35:54 AM permalink
Thanks for posting.

The soldiers comrades "dream their dreams of past glory". For poor Tom, it was nightmares of past glory.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 7th, 2013 at 11:47:10 AM permalink

No harassment, but what used to piss me off was that on tv shows the nut job was always a Vietnam Vet.

My only knowledge of V-vets also came from movies and TV, and always it was the junkie, the nutjob, the weirdo. Someone who hasn't showered or shaved since 1973, whose mind was mostly left in the dirt somewhere in Dak To, and was liable to do just about anything, as long as it was really bad.

Turns out, I knew a bunch of V-vets, many who served in the dark times. I just didn't know it, because they never bragged about it. Granted, many have their issues, most notably the drink, but who doesn't have an issue of some sort? Most often, they were the kindest, hardest working sons of bitches I've ever met. One old bastard wasn't but 5' 6" and pushing 145lbs, but boy could that withered old git shuck some shingles. All day long, hauling 70lb bundles up and down a rickety three story ladder like it was nothing, whereas my 20yr old self struggled almost constantly.

That old man taught me more about hard work and dedication in one summer than any other mentor I'd ever had, and I only seen him without a smile at about 10a as he tried to force himself until noon to have his first beer.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

• Jump to: