st0rm0r
st0rm0r
  • Threads: 4
March 31st, 2012 at 12:51:06 PM permalink
Hello!

I have a few questions for which I cannot find the answer. I wondered if anyone here would be able to help.

1) What advantage does the player gain if he can hit split aces?
2) What advantage does the player gain if he can hit split aces, but the aces counts as 11. Therefore, if you have A3, you take a card and receive a ten, you have 24 and bust.
3) Basic strategy for a ENH game states that if you hit split aces, then you must split aces if the dealer is showing an ace. Is this still true if rule 2 is applicable.

Thanks in advance for your help!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 31st, 2012 at 2:09:00 PM permalink
you made me look up ENH. ''European no hole card'' it seems.

if this is not a math question, I can say for one thing "soft 12" is worth splitting up for something better

2) What advantage does the player gain if he can hit split aces, but the aces counts as 11. Therefore, if you have A3, you take a card and receive a ten, you have 24 and bust.

can't it be '14' with A-10-3 ???

3) Basic strategy for a ENH game states that if you hit split aces, then you must split aces if the dealer is showing an ace. Is this still true if rule 2 is applicable.

do you really mean there is a game where an Ace must count as '11' when you split? unless I missed it, I do not see this at the Wizard's webpage on rule variations.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
st0rm0r
st0rm0r
March 31st, 2012 at 2:12:14 PM permalink
-->> if this is not a math question, I can say for one thing "soft 12" is worth splitting up for something better

Yes, I know that.

-->> can't it be '14' with A-10-3 ???

No. I stated this in my original post. A-10 would be soft 21, you wouldn't hit 21 to get a 3.

->> do you really mean there is a game where an Ace must count as '11' when you split? unless I missed it, I do not see this at the Wizard's webpage on rule variations.

Yes, thats exactly what I mean. No reference to this rule I can find anywhere on the internet.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
March 31st, 2012 at 3:23:50 PM permalink
fwiw As most people know in Europe one doesn't split Aces vs Ace as the chances of losing both bets to a BJ outweigh the advantages. I think you still wouldn't split even if you could hit afterwards (compare hitting soft 2 (33.91%) versus hitting 11 twice 2*(39.57%)-.5 ). However in case you didn't know, in Belgium (in places where I've asked) you can soft double, but then the Ace is only worth 1.
st0rm0r
st0rm0r
March 31st, 2012 at 3:31:13 PM permalink
You are incorrect in your presumptions. Check the beating bonuses basic strategy calculator to erradicate any doubt.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
March 31st, 2012 at 3:53:22 PM permalink
I can see on 11 my "39.57% chance on winning" roughly equates to their net EV of -.209 (sorry but it's always been the method I have used); however I cannot agree with their AA figures as their rules are peek where you would have split them, not hit them.

You can see that the cost of splitting Aces, and therefore creating two 11s, gives an EV of 2*-.209 = -.418.

Hitting AA is better than hitting A2, and A2 better than A3 etc. So this can be compared with their hitting A2, A3 figures (or mine for infinite deck using their method ...)
s5 -.397711
s4 -.372682
s3 -.347367
s2 -.321869

So sorry I'd still hit.
AceTwo
AceTwo
  • Threads: 5
April 2nd, 2012 at 12:03:19 PM permalink
Quote: st0rm0r

Hello!

I have a few questions for which I cannot find the answer. I wondered if anyone here would be able to help.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1) According to Wizzard
Player may draw to split aces +0.19%

2)Do not know, but as a lot of value of the Ace comes from its counting as both an 1 and 11, then this +0.19% is reduced a lot.
For almost all dealer stiffs 2-6, you will not draw on your Hard 12-16, whereas you yould have draw on Soft12-16.
You also do not draw on Hard 17 v any whereas you draw Soft17 v any
And do not draw Hard 18 v 9-A, whereas you draw Soft18 v 9-A.
And with the soft hands you might have multiple hits if you get small cards.
I would estimate that the advantage is less than 1/3 of the +0.19%, probably around +0.05%

3) Basic ENHC 6 decks for A,A v A is Hit -32.6%. Split is -53.4%
You say that if hit split Aces, then the correct decision is Split. Never played this rule so never checked it, and I trust that you checked it and is correct.
Basic for rule that A stands only for 11.
Really difficult to estimate without doing the calculations. When the A stands for 1 and 11, you will continue hitting when you reach S18 whereas you stop at Hard 17. So it is the effect of when getting to S17 and S18 which count as Hard.
If you know the Ev of the Split A,A v A under the normal hit rule and is only marginally better than -32.6% then for sure for this weird rule the strategy will be Hit.
Just from instinct, I would say that under this rule it does not get better than the -32.6%, so the correct staryegy is probably Hit.
st0rm0r
st0rm0r
April 4th, 2012 at 10:41:08 AM permalink
A very big thank you for your help. I actually wrote a sim and this rule gives an extra 0.02%.
  • Jump to: