Funbox
Funbox
  • Threads: 14
November 27th, 2011 at 3:21:30 PM permalink
I'm curious. When you have an ace or a ten against a 16, the correct move is to surrender, else hit, with stand being a worse move only by a very marginal amount. 9 is basically the same deal. However, against a 7 or an 8, I hear nothing about standing or surrendering being an okay move using basic strategy. Why is this? Isn't a ten a more "dangerous" card to be up against? The only logic I can come up with is that something changes about the ten after the dealer confirms that there isn't a blackjack. I understand that the expected return for hitting is greater, thus why you should hit rather than stand, but can anyone explain to me the logic as to why the expected return for standing and hitting the 16 against a ten is so close, yet I hear nothing about standing ever being a good idea against these less dangerous numbers? I know it's right, but I really hate hitting those spots.

Also, when I play blackjack, I'm more concerned with decreasing volatility than the average player, so I frequently surrender my 16 against ANY hole card above a six. How much EV am I forfeiting by doing this against a 7 or 8?

Thanks in advance.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 27th, 2011 at 3:41:19 PM permalink
When you hit 16 vs 7 and get an ace, 2 or 3 you're in pretty good shape. Against an ace or a 10 not as good. Standing on 16 vs 7 has an EV of -0.477. Hitting that hand has an EV of -0.409.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
  • Jump to: