jamo1599
jamo1599
  • Threads: 8
June 30th, 2011 at 4:04:28 AM permalink
I have been looking at the fine points of basic strategy in single-deck blackjack (appendix 3c) on the Wizard of Odds web site. The basic strategy changes are easy, however, there are lots of exceptions. Does memorizing the basic strategy changes with out the exceptions still give me an advantage? Appendix 3c says it applies to immediately after a shuffle in a single deck game where the dealer hits a soft 17. For the small percentage that first hands represent, is this chart worth much of my time right now?
These are the rules for the game i play: 3:2 single deck, double any first 2 cards, dealer hits soft 17, no double after split, split up to 4 hands, split and re-aces, no hitting after ace split
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 30th, 2011 at 7:49:12 AM permalink
No you will not have an advantage
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
June 30th, 2011 at 9:02:12 AM permalink
Quote: jamo1599

Does memorizing the basic strategy changes with out the exceptions still give me an advantage?

You don't have an advantage, you never had an advantage, you are playing a game where you will lose money, and yes, you should memorize every play perfectly for single deck before you play (even standing on 7-7 against a face card).

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 30th, 2011 at 9:37:56 AM permalink
Quote: jamo1599

The basic strategy changes are easy, however, there are lots of exceptions. Does memorizing the basic strategy changes with out the exceptions still give me an advantage?

Yes, memorizing the basic strategy without the exceptions will help you. Not as much as also memorizing the exceptions, but it helps. But, as others have said, the house will still take your money in the long run - it'll just take longer:-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
iwannaiguana
iwannaiguana
  • Threads: 7
June 30th, 2011 at 4:07:11 PM permalink
Definitely memorize basic strategy if you do nothing else. Don't bother with the exceptions. They don't offer much improvement and you'd be better off just learning the fundamentals of card counting.

That's just my 2 cents
jamo1599
jamo1599
  • Threads: 8
June 30th, 2011 at 9:40:51 PM permalink
i was wondering about that. I've got single deck basic strategy down and wasn't sure if appendix 3c was worth any time. I'm not up to par on my counting yet so that seems to be where i'll focus more of my time at the moment.
  • Jump to: