TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
June 2nd, 2011 at 9:37:36 AM permalink
So I'm going to be in a BJ Tournament this weekend...
25 hands
$5k starting bankroll (Max bet per hand is $2000)
All BJ's pay 2:1
5 card Charlie's pay 2:1
One wild Ace to play at any time (Must play as first card before seeing second card)

What strategy changes should I make?
I need to get $30k to win (usually)
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
June 2nd, 2011 at 11:50:21 AM permalink
Aggressive betting, more than the Kelly Criterion says for a +EV game. You only have 25 hands to make your advantage count, so you have to push your bets and get lucky.

Look up the 5 card charlie strat changes here

I'd save the Ace until you know the count is good, and nearing the end when you can safely bet 2000 + enough for the split without crippling your chances.

... How are you going to get up 25k in 25 hands with 2k bets? That seems unlikely
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
dummyGambler
dummyGambler
  • Threads: 4
June 2nd, 2011 at 1:37:48 PM permalink
IMO, none of these matters.. Adding <1% probably...
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
June 2nd, 2011 at 2:47:28 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

Aggressive betting, more than the Kelly Criterion says for a +EV game. You only have 25 hands to make your advantage count, so you have to push your bets and get lucky.
Look up the 5 card charlie strat changes here
I'd save the Ace until you know the count is good, and nearing the end when you can safely bet 2000 + enough for the split without crippling your chances.
... How are you going to get up 25k in 25 hands with 2k bets? That seems unlikely

Apparently luck plays a huge part in it because the people who usually win this, LITERALLY are in the HIIIGH 20k range (28-29k)
If you bet $2k EVERY hand and got a 2:1 payout each time, you'd have $105k...
There's lots of possible outcomes to get $25k ($1000 each hand and never lose for one)
Tell me about the not being able to split ace situation...had that happen once...played my Ace second hand (first hand went $2k and lost) and got a damn ace! I drew another two cards and STILL only had 15!
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 47
June 2nd, 2011 at 3:32:07 PM permalink
I played BJ Tournaments in Canada last year. Won 2-3 times and came in 2nd or 3rd a few times. Also lost my $2000 on two hands too! Cause I maximized my possibilities and didn't care about probability. Splitting tens was normal (something I would never do in the real world). I once doubled down on a hard 18! Reason, I was behind and a DD was the only way to get into the money! Amazed how many people thought I was crazy! Lots of tourney players just don't get it. Basic strategy won't cut it in a tourney. You want to try to maximize your returns and get LUCKY!

This was a weekly tourney. 11 hands, start with 2000 and there was usually 35 full tables. 5 tables 7 sessions. A session every 30 minutes. During the time I played I don't believe anyone had anymore wins or success than I did. Top 10 listed during tourney, so if you were in the last session you pretty much knew what you needed to win. Was usually 7500 to win.

Like dwheately said "you have to push your bets and get lucky."

Good luck!
  • Jump to: