billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21484
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
August 21st, 2021 at 8:59:16 AM permalink
If I'm playing at a full table, am in the first base slot, and have zero interest in what happens to anyone except myself and the dealer, would I be allowed to read a book while seated in the down time?
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 220
  • Posts: 11212
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
August 21st, 2021 at 9:04:22 AM permalink
As long as the book (or magazine, newspaper, etc) was printed and not online, wasn稚 resting on the table, and you were acting on your own hands without being reminded to stop reading, it shouldn稚 be a problem - no matter which seat you池e in.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧� Superstitions are silly, irrational, childish rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 140
  • Posts: 8043
Joined: Jun 22, 2011
August 21st, 2021 at 9:32:38 AM permalink
Also make sure you're not doing anything that might make it look like you're using the book to track card counting - for example, based on the page numbers.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 174
  • Posts: 23053
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
August 21st, 2021 at 9:43:00 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

If I'm playing at a full table, am in the first base slot, and have zero interest in what happens to anyone except myself and the dealer, would I be allowed to read a book while seated in the down time?

I'm more curious as to why you are asking the question, than what the actual answer is.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 7944
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
Thanked by
IndyJeffrey
August 21st, 2021 at 10:57:14 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

would I be allowed to read a book while seated in the down time?



I doubt it's illegal.
I doubt it would be permitted.

If you want to play cards, play cards.
If you want to go read a book, go read a book.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 306
  • Posts: 21484
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
August 21st, 2021 at 1:02:15 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I'm more curious as to why you are asking the question, than what the actual answer is.



I was talking to a longtime Arizona resident who was telling me about the days when bars could sponsor their own games. He said there were so many rookie players that they were lucky to get in much more than 25 hands an hour and how he would always sit at first so once his hand was done, he'd have plenty of time so he'd read a book.
When I thought about it, I couldn't think of any reason they wouldn't let you.
The older I get, the better I recall things that never happened
Zcore13
Zcore13
  • Threads: 41
  • Posts: 3858
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
August 21st, 2021 at 1:32:43 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If I'm playing at a full table, am in the first base slot, and have zero interest in what happens to anyone except myself and the dealer, would I be allowed to read a book while seated in the down time?



I've seen people reading after they fold between hands. Usually a pretty good sign the player is ultra tight.


ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. Former Table Games Director,, current Pit Supervisor. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 220
  • Posts: 11212
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
August 21st, 2021 at 3:28:18 PM permalink
Quote: Zcore13

I've seen people reading after they fold between hands. Usually a pretty good sign the player is ultra tight.
ZCore13

Sounds like you池e talking about poker, which reminds me�.

The last time I was in Vegas (for G2E 2019), I played at Venetian before the show. A guy there has a laptop on a snack tray and was working between hands.

He was not delaying the action and he focused on poker when in a hand, so there was no objection.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧� Superstitions are silly, irrational, childish rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 168
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
August 21st, 2021 at 7:56:40 PM permalink
How much downtime is there?
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 220
  • Posts: 11212
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
August 21st, 2021 at 8:16:52 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

How much downtime is there?

At poker? A lot. Particularly if you play tight and fold a lot of hands pre-flop.

A typical hand lasts over a minute. Sometimes much longer. If you fold pre-flop, that痴 often within the first 5 seconds.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧� Superstitions are silly, irrational, childish rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 168
  • Posts: 5937
Joined: Oct 5, 2011
Thanked by
IndyJeffrey
August 21st, 2021 at 8:46:58 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

At poker? A lot. Particularly if you play tight and fold a lot of hands pre-flop.

A typical hand lasts over a minute. Sometimes much longer. If you fold pre-flop, that痴 often within the first 5 seconds.



Any good poker player wouldn't be reading the book. He'd be following the action to learn the action of the other players at the table.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 220
  • Posts: 11212
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
August 22nd, 2021 at 6:05:28 AM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Any good poker player wouldn't be reading the book. He'd be following the action to learn the action of the other players at the table.

I agree.

But you see it all the time to a small degree. Some people will listen to music. Others will go on the internet on their cell phone for a minute or two.

I知 telling you I saw a guy at the Venetian poker room set up his laptop, and was totally working on the computer, ignoring the game when he wasn稚 in the hand, which was less than 20% of the hands.

He had lots of down time to devote to his work.

Did it cost him? I don稚 know. Like I said, he played tight.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧� Superstitions are silly, irrational, childish rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
  • Jump to: