jacksup13
jacksup13
  • Threads: 1
May 21st, 2019 at 12:52:18 PM permalink
Hi All, new poster here.

I've been looking over the Wizard's spreadsheet for infinite deck blackjack, and it's great. Does anyone have a similar one for 8-deck blackjack?

Also, I haven't yet been able to figure out how the "hit" tab works on the Wizard's spreadsheet. It seems to rely on input from the "hs" tab, which in turn relies on input from the "hit" tab, so it feels like a circular reference (maybe it is??). Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks so much for the help, and for all the great info.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
smalltrooper
May 21st, 2019 at 1:15:42 PM permalink
Quote: jacksup13

Hi All, new poster here.

I've been looking over the Wizard's spreadsheet for infinite deck blackjack, and it's great. Does anyone have a similar one for 8-deck blackjack?

Also, I haven't yet been able to figure out how the "hit" tab works on the Wizard's spreadsheet. It seems to rely on input from the "hs" tab, which in turn relies on input from the "hit" tab, so it feels like a circular reference (maybe it is??). Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks so much for the help, and for all the great info.

Hi Jacksup and welcome to the forum.

I have such a workbook which is composition dependent rather than infinite decks. Mine was based on the Wizard's and was modified for UK no-peek rules

If you PM me, i'll dig it out and get it to you. I'm afraid it will take me a few days, because it's folded into a bigger project that I can't share with you. So, i'll need to work on it a little.

Regards,
OD
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
May 21st, 2019 at 1:41:13 PM permalink
Welcome to the forum.

I assume you are referring to https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/1/

Essentially the logic to work out these tables is to start at 21 (decide whether to stand or hit is best) and work your way down. Similarly work through the soft totals.

The stand value is your chances (EV) given you stay on your current total (for infinite decks any totals 16 and lower can only win if the dealer busts). The hit value assumes you take another card and then play according to the best hit or stand strategy.

Similarly the doubling or splitting values are calculated. (Technically I'm not sure about splitting when you shouldn't whether there's logic to assume you'll continue to split.)

The assumpton when using infinite decks if the cards you have do not affect your chances, however when considering 8 decks (or similar) then your cards do have an influence. For instance with single deck you stand on 7-7 vs 10 because there are now only two 7s left in the deck, reducing your chances of getting 21 and reducing the chances dealer has 17. Thus the same type of tables using finite decks would require all combinations of cards that can make up each total.

In practice the strategy for infinite decks is good enough for most shoe games and you can look up the exceptions (e.g. 10 2 vs 4) for fewer decks.
jacksup13
jacksup13
May 21st, 2019 at 1:53:49 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

Welcome to the forum.

I assume you are referring to /games/blackjack/appendix/1/

That's the one!

Quote: charliepatrick

Essentially the logic to work out these tables is to start at 21 (decide whether to stand or hit is best) and work your way down. Similarly work through the soft totals.

Start at 21! How did I miss that that was the one row not referencing "hs"?? OK, this is starting to make sense now, thank you so much!
jacksup13
jacksup13
May 22nd, 2019 at 8:00:08 PM permalink
I would love, for example, if anyone has the spreadsheet the Wizard used to create the expected payouts for 8-deck blackjack (I would link to it, but I'm not allowed to as a new poster).

I'm curious how all the card removal stuff is handled (and if there are any shortcuts I can borrow).

Thanks in advance!
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 23rd, 2019 at 12:10:47 AM permalink
Quote: jacksup13

I would love, for example, if anyone has the spreadsheet the Wizard used to create the expected payouts for 8-deck blackjack (I would link to it, but I'm not allowed to as a new poster).

I'm curious how all the card removal stuff is handled (and if there are any shortcuts I can borrow).

Thanks in advance!

Dd you receive my spreadsheets?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: