bart3333
bart3333
  • Threads: 1
September 30th, 2018 at 4:17:06 PM permalink
I've searched a lot of threads here but I couldn't find anything that discussed taking insurance when dealer has an Ace up. I Realize that it is a bad bet for regular BJ; but, when I have a FREE double coming up would it be advantageous to take insurance??
1) for splitting?
2) for 11?
3) for 10?
4) for 9?

My gut feel is that taking it for 11's might be right...

Anyone calculate the house edge for these situations??
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 30th, 2018 at 4:19:21 PM permalink
What you have doesn’t affect whether insurance is a good bet, unless you’re counting.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
October 1st, 2018 at 4:45:17 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

What you have doesn’t affect whether insurance is a good bet...

I take insurance when the count says I should.

As far as "what you have", I have long argued with a friend who ALWAYS takes insurance when he has a twenty (TWO tens) that, all things being equal, two tens in his hand reduces the number of tens left in the deck that could be hiding under the dealer's ace. A hard twenty actually argues AGAINST insurance.

"Insurance". Right.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
October 1st, 2018 at 5:10:21 PM permalink
So you agree with me?
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
October 1st, 2018 at 6:56:55 PM permalink
I tend to call even money especially if I have a table limit bet out there, but I never take insurance. You should decide which one you're going to go for in your BJ play - insurance, or even money.

Insurance is like betting against yourself, at least the way I see it.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 1st, 2018 at 8:21:02 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

I tend to call even money especially if I have a table limit bet out there, but I never take insurance. You should decide which one you're going to go for in your BJ play - insurance, or even money.

This is terrible advice. Insurance and even money are exactly the same bet. And both have a bad HR unless the count runs sufficiently positive.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
October 1st, 2018 at 8:25:12 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

This is terrible advice. Insurance and even money are exactly the same bet. And both have a bad HR unless the count runs sufficiently positive.

1. It wasn't advice.
2. A limit bet (for a winning player) is almost always only going to happen when the count would justify taking insurance.
unJon
unJon
October 1st, 2018 at 8:30:24 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

1. It wasn't advice.
2. A limit bet (for a winning player) is almost always only going to happen when the count would justify taking insurance.

1. It was advice. “You should decide which one . . . “
2. I don’t know what you mean by “winning player”. If you mean counter, then of course. For a non counter progressive bettor the opposite is true.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
October 2nd, 2018 at 6:11:15 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Insurance and even money are exactly the same bet.

Even money is going to come up far less often than insurance, because people who want to bet insurance do it with all sorts of hands, so choosing even money over insurance, and choosing even money only when table limit or at least very high bets come up, makes it something that will happen far less often than insurance.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
unJon
unJon
October 2nd, 2018 at 7:32:11 AM permalink

Even money is going to come up far less often than insurance, because people who want to bet insurance do it with all sorts of hands, so choosing even money over insurance, and choosing even money only when table limit or at least very high bets come up, makes it something that will happen far less often than insurance.

This is exactly why some counters use even money as a cover play. See “The Blackjack Life”. But it’s not a different bet than insurance. It’s simply the insurance bet when you happen to have blackjack.
  • Jump to: