mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
October 6th, 2010 at 12:10:08 AM permalink
I did a thread on this a couple years ago and got some damn interesting replies. I thought of this again because it came up at the roulette table from a fellow gambler.

Lets say you are playing blackjack and you are the third player, last to be dealt to. The other two guys are not hitting when they should or taking a hit when they should not. How will this affect you, the smart player? Does it make any difference to YOU in regards to your overall profit or loses? Ken
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
October 6th, 2010 at 12:40:06 AM permalink
Short term - Yes

Overall - no.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
October 6th, 2010 at 12:49:48 AM permalink
edit.
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
October 6th, 2010 at 12:56:15 AM permalink
I didnt mean to sit on the fence overall, I just missed off part of my post. I meant to say short term yes and no, and say no, overall it doesnt make a difference. For all the times bad play will hurt you it will help you almost as much. Its just part of the human psyche to remember the bad over the good.

The short term I was referring to covers a single hand.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1428
October 6th, 2010 at 1:23:08 AM permalink
Quote: mrjjj

Does it make any difference to YOU in regards to your overall profit or loses? Ken

No.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 6th, 2010 at 4:15:05 AM permalink
I've seen some games wherein a guy is playing 300.00 a hand and is at the middle of the table with no other players. Its clear that the floor will be discouraging other players even if that sign "300.00 Minimum" doesn't discourage them. (Perhaps attempting to intrude would be a guaranteed food comp from that floor?)

Sometimes people just want to be alone and sometimes other persons playing can be a distraction even if there is absolutely perfect play. I feel however that most of these solitary players are interested in getting "their" cards and not having someone's misplay causing them to be deprived of the card that destiny has assigned as being properly for them.

No roll of the dice "uses up" a five and deprives the next shooter of some of his fives. Yet at Blackjack there is a certain existing sequence to the cards and players seem to think that whatever misplay they perceive in others is costing the player his destiny.
I suppose its a rather harmless belief. I rather doubt that such players as believe they have been robbed of their destiny ever thank the Misplaying player when "being robbed of one's destiny" means getting 21 rather than 22.
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
October 6th, 2010 at 1:08:48 PM permalink
The decisions of other players do not bother me or affect my overall profit or loss in any way. What's funny though, is that these people are the first ones to complain when I make a basic strategy play that's not to their liking.

My response to them is either buy my hand or accurately tell me the next card to be dealt. I've had a few takers on the former when showing 12 vs the dealer's 3 for example, but never on the latter.

A guy went nuts just this morning because I split 4's against a five. He insisted that you never split anything that starts with the letter F. I had an F word for him, but I am way too polite.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
October 6th, 2010 at 1:31:00 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier

I didnt mean to sit on the fence overall, I just missed off part of my post. I meant to say short term yes and no, and say no, overall it doesnt make a difference. For all the times bad play will hurt you it will help you almost as much. Its just part of the human psyche to remember the bad over the good.

The short term I was referring to covers a single hand.

It doesn't even matter in the short term. I hit, and I get a randomly chosen card. It doesn't matter if this is the first, second, or for that matter, 90th card in the deck. That guy who acts before me is just another randomizing element; he is just as likely to help me as to hurt me. We tend to focus on when someone "takes our card", but I've seen that happen to my benefit just as much as to my detriment.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
October 7th, 2010 at 5:08:31 AM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

He insisted that you never split anything that starts with the letter F.

What a cool rule! :)
(It's also a correct one, I believe, for a no DAS game).

How much did you ask for your 12 vs. 3 hand?
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 7th, 2010 at 7:07:21 AM permalink
Quote: benbakdoff

A guy went nuts just this morning because I split 4's against a five. He insisted that you never split anything that starts with the letter F. I had an F word for him, but I am way too polite.

Should you run into that rule again, just tell them you use Spanish numbers. No cards start with F that way.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal

• Jump to: