LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
August 27th, 2016 at 12:17:09 PM permalink
WOO's BJ Survey Jan 2016 shows the HE 0.60225 for the Cal's 15 tables, 2-deck, dealer HITS on soft 17, no DAS, no RSA, no SURR.

https://wizardofvegas.com/guides/blackjack-survey/

How does the HE change when a person plays perfect Basic Strategy?

And how much further does the HE 0.60225 change if a person plays both perfect Basic Strategy AND is a "good" card counter? (Sorry, I don't count cards . . . yet)
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 27th, 2016 at 12:35:11 PM permalink
Quote: LostWages

WOO's BJ Survey Jan 2016 shows the HE 0.60225 for the Cal's 15 tables, 2-deck, dealer HITS on soft 17, no DAS, no RSA, no SURR.

https://wizardofvegas.com/guides/blackjack-survey/

How does the HE change when a person plays perfect Basic Strategy?

And how much further does the HE 0.60225 change if a person plays both perfect Basic Strategy AND is a "good" card counter? (Sorry, I don't count cards . . . yet)

Quoting the house edge to 5 decimal places is a bit overkill 'cos even the best derivations make certain assumptions.
The Calculated (estimated). House edge figures ASSUME that the player is playing with perfect basic strategy but not counting. Typical ploppy players probably throw away an addition 2% or 3% or much worse. In a real 'playing lifetime' your sample size will be too low for your house edge to be near to what's calculated or expected.
If you are a GOOD counter, ramp aggressively and avoid rubbish games, you might be able to average your own player edge of a couple or so percent. But it's not a steady income stream and only kelly betting a serious bankroll can avoid almost inevitable ruin.
Look out Romes a-z articles and certainly read up on risk of ruin.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
August 27th, 2016 at 12:48:47 PM permalink
Tks for your comments, OnceDear. The HE to 5 decimal places was on the WOO page, and not knowing if it was critical, I just quoted it as is.

Yes, I just started reading Romes's 3 A-Z articles, and I was anxious to know if HE changed. If I understand what you correctly:

- the WOO's BJ Survey with the HE already assumes players use perfect basic strategy.

- a "good" card counter (aggressive ramps, avoids rubbish games) will only have a player edge of a couple or so percent.

Appreciate your time and attention and cautions!
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 27th, 2016 at 1:55:39 PM permalink
Quote: LostWages

Tks for your comments, OnceDear. The HE to 5 decimal places was on the WOO page, and not knowing if it was critical, I just quoted it as is.

Yes, I just started reading Romes's 3 A-Z articles, and I was anxious to know if HE changed. If I understand what you correctly:

- the WOO's BJ Survey with the HE already assumes players use perfect basic strategy.

- a "good" card counter (aggressive ramps, avoids rubbish games) will only have a player edge of a couple or so percent.

Appreciate your time and attention and cautions!

Happy to help.
Don't let me put you off counting. Just bear in mind that to make meaningful money with it, you'd need a serious bankroll and the balls of steel to put all that bankroll at real risk. If bankroll is too small, then even with a good player edge, you are still likely to go completely broke just because of the variance..
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: