BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 17
March 15th, 2014 at 12:19:20 PM permalink
I always prefer to play the first-base spot at the BJ table because that position has an advantage. Hear me out before you start to compose the flames. Let me first say that I don't think sitting at any particular spot will, in general, affect my bankroll. But I do say that first-base provides a social engineering advantage starting with the burn card. If a good card is burned I can whine about how the damn dealer took my ace or ten garnering sympathy from any poppies at the table. If a lousy car is burned I invite the table to celebrate the great luck that surely portends for "the team." By being the first to act I avoid bearing the overwhelming responsibility of [sarcasm] deciding what card the dealer will get [/sarcasm]. After all, if my play has "fouled the deck" then another player who [sarcasm] knows how things should work [/sarcasm] can step up and rectify the mistake. If I am an idiot for taking the dealer's bust card there are other actors who can set things right by taking it up the nose for the team. Shame on them if they do not! (Unless, of course, I [[sarcasm] took the last bust card in the shoe [/sarcasm].)
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 15th, 2014 at 2:24:02 PM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

I always prefer to play the first-base spot at the BJ table because that position has an advantage. Hear me out before you start to compose the flames. Let me first say that I don't think sitting at any particular spot will, in general, affect my bankroll. But I do say that first-base provides a social engineering advantage starting with the burn card. If a good card is burned I can whine about how the damn dealer took my ace or ten garnering sympathy from any poppies at the table. If a lousy car is burned I invite the table to celebrate the great luck that surely portends for "the team." By being the first to act I avoid bearing the overwhelming responsibility of [sarcasm] deciding what card the dealer will get [/sarcasm]. After all, if my play has "fouled the deck" then another player who [sarcasm] knows how things should work [/sarcasm] can step up and rectify the mistake. If I am an idiot for taking the dealer's bust card there are other actors who can set things right by taking it up the nose for the team. Shame on them if they do not! (Unless, of course, I [[sarcasm] took the last bust card in the shoe [/sarcasm].)

I had my flame thrower revved up and ready to go, but I understand what you're saying with the "social engineering" advantage.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 15th, 2014 at 2:27:03 PM permalink

They show you the burn card?
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 15th, 2014 at 2:29:22 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

You can ask to see it in most jurisdictions.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 17
March 15th, 2014 at 2:36:25 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

As per rdw4potus's comment, yes, sometimes I have to ask. At first base I have a great reason to ask: it would have been my card. Then I get to count it :-)
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
March 15th, 2014 at 2:45:12 PM permalink

If a good card is burned I can whine about how the damn dealer took my ace or ten

you blame the dealer for this?
doesn't a player cut the deck where you play

and where the cut is determines the very next card.
sounds like we need to place blame on the one that cuts the deck

I never cut it. ever
for that reason
no one can blame me for a horrible shoe
cut thin to win
Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 15th, 2014 at 2:50:27 PM permalink
Quote: mustangsally

you blame the dealer for this?
doesn't a player cut the deck where you play

and where the cut is determines the very next card.
sounds like we need to place blame on the one that cuts the deck

I never cut it. ever
for that reason
no one can blame me for a horrible shoe
cut thin to win
Sally

At some places I try very hard to be the one who cuts.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 15th, 2014 at 2:59:31 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
geoff
geoff
  • Threads: 3
March 15th, 2014 at 3:02:00 PM permalink
Asking to see the burn card just seems like a major red flag to me. I've played with thousands of people over the years and not a single one of them has ever asked to see it. An early shuffle yes, but burn card no.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 15th, 2014 at 3:03:56 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!

• Jump to: