Thread Rating:

spassky962000
spassky962000
  • Threads: 2
August 10th, 2013 at 11:11:09 PM permalink
I just purchased Peter Griffin's famous book. I'm not sure, but I think there is an error in the table (and resulting calculation) in the section called "As An Example", in the 3rd Chapter. The 3 "expectation" numbers for the first player hand listed (5,6), should be 1, .5, .5, in that order, if my math is correct. I thought this might be an insignificant typo, but the error is carried down to the "Total Expectation" equal to 6.67 %. I get 0% for "Total Expectation". This bothers me because this book was written so long ago, and there have been 5 more editions since then. It's hard to believe that this wasn't corrected by the last edition. The only reason I can think of for this apparent oversight is maybe this "...Example" was inserted in the last edition, and therefore never had a chance to be corrected? Any thoughts? Thanks.
7craps
7craps
  • Threads: 18
August 11th, 2013 at 12:02:39 AM permalink
Quote: spassky962000

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Double Down
winsome johnny (not Win some johnny)
GBV
GBV
  • Threads: 1
August 17th, 2013 at 5:56:41 PM permalink
Quote: spassky962000

I just purchased Peter Griffin's famous book. I'm not sure, but I think there is an error in the table (and resulting calculation) in the section called "As An Example", in the 3rd Chapter. The 3 "expectation" numbers for the first player hand listed (5,6), should be 1, .5, .5, in that order, if my math is correct. I thought this might be an insignificant typo, but the error is carried down to the "Total Expectation" equal to 6.67 %. I get 0% for "Total Expectation". This bothers me because this book was written so long ago, and there have been 5 more editions since then. It's hard to believe that this wasn't corrected by the last edition. The only reason I can think of for this apparent oversight is maybe this "...Example" was inserted in the last edition, and therefore never had a chance to be corrected? Any thoughts? Thanks.

There are many known errors in the book. The baccarat chapter is particulary noteworthy in this respect.
spassky962000
spassky962000
  • Threads: 2
August 28th, 2013 at 11:26:37 PM permalink
Thanks GBV. Now that I've read further in the book, I see what you mean, Mr. Griffin seemed to breeze by some of his conclusions without much rigor and/or justification. I've passed a few actuary exams, so am hoping to still be able to follow his thinking! I wish he was still with us.
  • Jump to: