Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
February 18th, 2013 at 11:04:12 PM permalink
I was at a full table playing blackjack and the basic strategy errors were the nightmares of BJ players. I cant believe how common the stuff I was seeing was.. and some of it was just the cream of the crop in what not to do.

Splitting 5's against a Dealer 10; Splitting 10's against a dealer 6; double-down on a total of 7; standing on a soft 16 (does ti even matter the dealers card??).. it was maddening.

When I mentioned something to one player (who was making a beyond questionable move. i think he was splitting 10's against a dealer 10)- his reply was that the BJ champion of the world advises that its all feeling- and that's the best way to play.. on gut feeling.

at that point I realized it was hopeless. -sigh-
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
February 19th, 2013 at 12:07:37 AM permalink
Well ya could've split 9's against an Ace, or hit 14 vs, dealer 6....
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
February 19th, 2013 at 12:43:15 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

I'm sure those were included in what I saw.

I know a lot of people will make a questionable play once in a while but I think one dealer/player interaction summed up what I was seeing the best.

Dealer: "19"
Player: "Hit Me"
Dealer.. pausing a moment and then dealing out next card "13" (He had a soft 19)
Player: "Hit Me"
Dealer: "16"
Player: "...I want to stay at the 19."
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
February 20th, 2013 at 1:07:48 AM permalink
Quote: Malaru

at that point I realized it was hopeless.

Seen all that and worse. You out to try being the dealer on such a game where players are getting mad at other players and wanting the dealer to do something about it. My question would be: what exactly can the dealer do except give them the cards they ask for and move on when they don't want any more?

This kind of stuff is very common on $5 tables so be aware of it and play at your own risk. You want more stability from the other players go to a $25 or higher table. It's no guarantee (believe me!), but it does tend to help.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
February 20th, 2013 at 1:29:08 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

You do split 9-9 vs A in a single deck game.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 20th, 2013 at 4:24:39 AM permalink
Quote: Malaru

I was at a full table playing blackjack and the basic strategy errors were the nightmares of BJ players. I cant believe how common the stuff I was seeing was.. and some of it was just the cream of the crop in what not to do.

Splitting 5's against a Dealer 10; Splitting 10's against a dealer 6; double-down on a total of 7; standing on a soft 16 (does ti even matter the dealers card??).. it was maddening.

When I mentioned something to one player (who was making a beyond questionable move. i think he was splitting 10's against a dealer 10)- his reply was that the BJ champion of the world advises that its all feeling- and that's the best way to play.. on gut feeling.

at that point I realized it was hopeless. -sigh-

Ignore it all. It's your hand against the dealer's hand. When those players eat cards in a positive shoe, spread to two or even three hands to get your share. When the shoe tanks, wong out and watch them eat the bad cards. At that point they will probably get an extra win or two which will reenforce their poor play. Remember, there has to be some losers to pay for the winners and to keep the games from further deteriorating.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
February 25th, 2013 at 10:27:11 AM permalink
I was playing BJ at the MGM Grand Detroit this weekend.

Dealer's upcard was an ace, I'm dealt a 9-8, no one buys insurance.

In some freak of nature move, dealer accidentally brushes her cards around so the hole card gets flipped up and the Ace gets flipped down. She had a 7 under there. She called the pit boss over and asks him what to do, and he said just play it out like double exposure. She flips her cards around so the Ace is showing and the 7 is hidden again.

Most of the other players had 20s. One of them looks at my 17 and says "I guess you know what you have to do now..."

I hit my 17.

One lady who was playing two hands FREAKS OUT. "WHY WOULD YOU HIT A 17?!"

The table just looks at her dumbfoundedly. Did you not just see what happened?! We all just bust out laughing as I tried to explain to her what was going on and she still didn't seem to catch on.

She was still pissed at me.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
mycran
mycran
  • Threads: 11
February 26th, 2013 at 10:02:43 AM permalink
How about a dealer who talks an elder gentlemaen into doubling on an A,9 because as he said you should double a ten against my five,guy draws a 2 dealer makes 18, guy gets mad and leaves.Not a great way to get tips me thinks.
There are three types of people in this world,those who can count and those who can not.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 26th, 2013 at 10:10:18 AM permalink
Quote: mycran

How about a dealer who talks an elder gentlemaen into doubling on an A,9 because as he said you should double a ten against my five,guy draws a 2 dealer makes 18, guy gets mad and leaves.Not a great way to get tips me thinks.

the dealer ought to at least be able to say it's Basic Strategy. Which it ain't.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
  • Threads: 33
March 8th, 2013 at 6:26:27 PM permalink
Yea, it often happens with drunken, frat boys playing with the tuition money their parents gave them.

Had 3 geniuses from some local college join my table on a Saturday night last year.

First one had 5's against a dealer 2 with a $50 bet. Reaches for another $50 and the dealer asks "Double down?" and he goes "Nah! Split em bro!" Sure enough, first card is a 10, second card a 9. He stands on both hands. Dealer turns over a 5, catches a 10. His buddy behind him(not playing) says, "you woulda lost anyway dawg!" Guess they don't realize a Doubled down 20 beats a dealer bust?

Few hands later, the second stooge hits 12 with the dealer showing 10, which is the right play. He gets a 6, and keeps staring at it, not giving a hand signal. Dealer informs him he has 18 and asks "You good?" No response from him, I tell him "You have 18, stand." He goes "Don't tell me what to do, cawksuckah!"

Rather than deck the kid and risk a lawsuit, I tell him "Ok, go ahead, hit the 18 and see what happens!"

He then signals and says "Stay!" Dealer flips a 9 and takes his money.

Ahhh the wonders of reverse pyschology!
  • Jump to: