Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 29th, 2013 at 9:33:59 PM permalink
Mrs and I have stayed away from the 'sinos for a while, but we had some free play and tonight we used it. I started by dropping $200 on crappy slots, then winning it back at 3 Card, where I miraculously won 12 out of 15 hands and left doubled up, bought in for 200 and cashed out 400.

I sat down at a $10 BJ table, and 3rd base was the only seat open. I made a comment about having to play smart in that seat, and I did pull out the card, but held it close. I didn't have to worry, though. At the table were three older women, about my age (late 50s), and these women knew the game very well. They made the smart plays without the card, so I was safe.

I bought in for $200, and betting $10 played up and down 2-4 units through the first two (6 deck) shoes. I was getting crappy cards, lots of 12-16s, but by playing them smart I was holding my own. The third shoe, though, it just murdered me, I ended it down $110... And the first half of the next shoe took me down to my last $40. So I started betting $20, and slowly clawed my way back. Got up to 70, then 90, then split 8s against a 5... Got a 3, doubled and got a 10; got another 8, split, got 10 and 10, and dealer busted! A couple more ups and downs, and eventually I was back to even. The next shoe was decent, I got a lot of 2-6 still, but I was playing them against a lot of dealer 4s and 5s, so they generally worked out. Then I got a virtual repeat of the 8s, but with 9s: split, got A and another 9, resplit, got 2 and doubled and hit a 10, on the last 9 got a 10. Dealer had a 5 up and 10 under, dealt himself a 10.

Cashed out up $150. As I use the card more, I need it less. And truthfully, I think I could count that game, but I'm not really motivated to do it. I was brought up in a card playing family. the strategy card would make a decent cover, I believe.
A falling knife has no handle.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 29th, 2013 at 11:28:25 PM permalink
nice job on the win!

one thing, please do not attempt to count cards until you have basic strategy memorized backwards and forwards. If you're playing heads up against the dealer and are dealt 2, T vs dealer 2, you need to be able to think, "net +1, hit" instantly. In fact, think is the wrong word. You need to just know it.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 30th, 2013 at 3:09:43 AM permalink
How were the blackjack rules, Mosca?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 30th, 2013 at 6:53:36 AM permalink
The rules in PA are standard, and pretty good. From blackjack.org, "The current rules for the game of blackjack in Pennsylvania are now permanent. This means the dealer must stand on a soft 17 (Ace 6), all player blackjacks will be paid on a 3 to 2 basis and players will be able to surrender half of their bet if they choose instead of hitting or standing."

You can also double after split, and resplit to a maximum of 3 hands. Split aces draw one card, and may not be resplit. You can double down on any hand, not just 9/10/11.
A falling knife has no handle.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 30th, 2013 at 9:12:20 AM permalink
Got it. I didn't realize you went to PA.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
January 30th, 2013 at 9:43:34 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

one thing, please do not attempt to count cards until you have basic strategy memorized backwards and forwards. If you're playing heads up against the dealer and are dealt 2, T vs dealer 2, you need to be able to think, "net +1, hit" instantly. In fact, think is the wrong word. You need to just know it.

When I see comments like this, I realize what a BJ neophyte I am. Soda, I am nowhere near this good, lots of work to do on my end as far as BJ basic strategy is concerned.
  • Jump to: