bobluered
bobluered
  • Threads: 11
January 4th, 2013 at 11:57:06 PM permalink
While playing last night I had a 7 and a 2 as by hand and the dealer had a 3 up-card. I doubled-down on my $10 bet and I won the bet. After being paid the dealer said that a player should NEVER NEVER double-down on a 2 or 3 up-card with a hand of 9. I have never heard that it is a bad play to double-down against a 3 up-card with a hand of 9. I would not double-down against a 2 up-card but a 3 up-card???????? Was the dealer right? HE SEEMED SO CONFIDANT!
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 5th, 2013 at 12:05:20 AM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 5th, 2013 at 2:25:20 AM permalink
Quote: bobluered

Was the dealer right? HE SEEMED SO CONFIDANT!

No, he was wrong. I'm sure he is still giving the wrong advice and most likely doing it in a very confident manner. He is a dealer. He learns to shuffle, to make change, to protect his chip tray, to pickup cards with the correct hand, to follow all dealing procedures and to count to 21. He is NOT taught Basic Strategy as part of his training though he probably picks up some version of it somewhere along the way.

As you said: You made the bet and you won it.
He just chirped up with his advice.
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
January 5th, 2013 at 4:55:59 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

No, he was wrong. I'm sure he is still giving the wrong advice and most likely doing it in a very confident manner. He is a dealer. He learns to shuffle, to make change, to protect his chip tray, to pickup cards with the correct hand, to follow all dealing procedures and to count to 21. He is NOT taught Basic Strategy as part of his training though he probably picks up some version of it somewhere along the way.

As you said: You made the bet and you won it.
He just chirped up with his advice.

Dealers (and other players) should only give advice when asked. Even then, it's likely to be wrong.

If I had my wish, dealers would have their tongues surgically removed before obtaining a dealers license.
Pretty sure they already had their brains removed; or were likely born without one.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 5th, 2013 at 6:28:50 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 5th, 2013 at 7:52:20 AM permalink
But remember " That's why the deuce is called the dealer's Ace. "
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
  • Threads: 33
January 5th, 2013 at 12:07:57 PM permalink
Quote: bobluered

While playing last night I had a 7 and a 2 as by hand and the dealer had a 3 up-card. I doubled-down on my $10 bet and I won the bet. After being paid the dealer said that a player should NEVER NEVER double-down on a 2 or 3 up-card with a hand of 9. I have never heard that it is a bad play to double-down against a 3 up-card with a hand of 9. I would not double-down against a 2 up-card but a 3 up-card???????? Was the dealer right? HE SEEMED SO CONFIDANT!

I had a similar spot 2 years ago, 4-5 vs dealer 4 and Doubled for another $100. Dealer pauses and says "You sure you wanna double a 9?" I say "Yea" He goes "Ok, but I wouldn't!"

I get dealt a 10, he turns up a K and catches... a 6!!!

Of course he goes, "See, I told ya!"

Point being, many dealers are Hindsight Heroes, who only seem to chirp in after the hand is played out. Most know very little about the math behind it and think that a lucky pull is equivalent to a standard motion.

Just play it the way YOU would want to and consult a BS card if you have any doubts. You'd be surprised how many times you double 9, get a crap card or even a 2, but still end up winning anyway.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 5th, 2013 at 12:38:17 PM permalink
Quote: BedWetterBetter

Just play it the way YOU would want to and consult a BS card if you have any doubts. You'd be surprised how many times you double 9, get a crap card or even a 2, but still end up winning anyway.

Yep, dealer busts are your friend.
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
January 5th, 2013 at 4:20:32 PM permalink
Last year I had a dealer tell me never to double on 9's because you always catch 2's. Sure enough I caught a 2 and he shook his head at me.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 5th, 2013 at 4:31:05 PM permalink
Quote: winmonkeyspit3

Last year I had a dealer tell me never to double on 9's because you always catch 2's. Sure enough I caught a 2 and he shook his head at me.

The fact that so many dealers spew such nonsense, despite seeing so many hands, shows just how bad the human brain is at dealing with randomness.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 5th, 2013 at 6:14:01 PM permalink
Dealers learn the game from the clueless players. The guy with the loudest mouth must be right. Right? We've all heard what they have to say about surrender for example.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 6th, 2013 at 7:05:46 AM permalink
You can count on dealers to know only a little bit of strategy and beyond that, it's a study in math. Certainly, there are plays that are counter-intuitive if you don't know the math. It's not their job to know Basic Strategy -- it's their job to deal the cards and to protect their chips.

A dealer who gives out bad advice is awful for everyone, though it would be good for the players who think the dealer is on their side. A dealer who gives out good advice probably won't do it for long because the player will get burned at a counter-intuitive (yet right) call from the dealer and will blame them.

If I was a dealer and didn't know basic strategy, I would offer conservative advice for the player, meaning that I would have them stand more and double less often then they should. I would have them stand on 12 against a 2 or 3, and not double 10 vs 8 or 11 vs 9, things like that.

But I think if I were a dealer, I would learn basic strategy and offer the same consistent advice to all my players and explain to them why to do each play. I would then get fired for dealing too slowly.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
January 6th, 2013 at 7:11:59 AM permalink
deleted
GH
GH
  • Threads: 7
January 6th, 2013 at 7:15:41 AM permalink
I know many dealers will blurt out, "The book says..." but I wonder what would happen (management wise) if a dealer who really can count would say "The book says X, but if there are lots of high cards, do Y."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
January 6th, 2013 at 7:19:06 AM permalink
deleted
  • Jump to: