bobluered
bobluered
  • Threads: 11
December 22nd, 2012 at 8:56:28 PM permalink
I read recently that volatility is not good in a shoe. I played a shoe sometime back when the dealer did not win one hand in the entire shoe. That would be favorable volatility and several players won a lot of money. I understand that unfavorable is really bad but isn't favorable volatility good for the player
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
December 22nd, 2012 at 10:21:47 PM permalink
Volatility is, in essence, what causes you to lose when the odds are with you, or win when they're against you, or win or lose significantly when they're even. For that reason, whether volatility is good or bad depends on your attitude toward risk, and whether the game is in your favor. If you're a player, volatility is the reason you're there; if you're a counter, it's a hazard.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
bobluered
bobluered
  • Threads: 11
December 22nd, 2012 at 10:50:53 PM permalink
Now I understand....Thank you very much.
GH
GH
  • Threads: 7
December 23rd, 2012 at 8:18:00 AM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Volatility is, in essence, what causes you to lose when the odds are with you, or win when they're against you, or win or lose significantly when they're even. For that reason, whether volatility is good or bad depends on your attitude toward risk, and whether the game is in your favor. If you're a player, volatility is the reason you're there; if you're a counter, it's a hazard.

Volatility is "the amount of variance, over time," or the likeliness of sudden change to a given situation.

A shoe game is supposed to have low volatility, compared to a hand held game with high volatility.
Ardent1
Ardent1
  • Threads: 5
December 24th, 2012 at 3:53:41 AM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

If you're a player, volatility is the reason you're there; if you're a counter, it's a hazard.

For the counter, it's all about getting the hands in. It's one long run.
  • Jump to: