teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 11th, 2010 at 1:29:18 PM permalink
The new Vegas blackjack survey is out, and once again the footnote for Bighorn states:
Quote:

1. Blackjack pays 2 to 1 if two or more players at the table on that round (restrictions apply)

The house edge for this game is already listed at .25%. As I see it, this footnote could be read in one of two ways:
(1) If there are two or more players seated at the table at the time you get a blackjack, your blackjack will pay 2:1.
(2) If two or more players get a blackjack on the same deal, those players will get their blackjacks paid 2:1.
If (1), this obviously creates a huge advantage for the player if you just bring your friend along to create the two person minimum.
If (2), this creates a lesser, but still quantifiable, player advantage that I can't figure out with my limited math skills. (Guess you first have to determine what are the chances of two or more blackjacks being dealt in the same hand?)
Wizard, could you clear this up or it is something we'd have to ask CBJN about?
It's all academic, of course. I'm not planning to bust the Bighorn anytime soon but it is nice to know the specifics.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
March 11th, 2010 at 1:37:52 PM permalink
(2) is the correct interpretation. I just changed the wording to make that more clear.

I show that rule is worth 0.1% per each additional player at the table, not counting yourself. According to my blackjack house edge calculator, the house edge the house edge is 0.48% before considering that rule, or the rule allowing doubling on three cards. Doubling three or more cards is worth 0.23%. To make an educated guess, let's assume doubling on exactly three cards is worth 0.20%, lowering the house edge to 0.28%. Considering the 2-1 blackjack rule, the following is the house edge according to the total number of players, including yourself.

7 -0.32%
6 -0.22%
5 -0.12%
4 -0.02%
3 0.08%
2 0.18%
1 0.28%
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 11th, 2010 at 2:47:16 PM permalink
Thank you.
-----------------------
May I suggest for the next Wizard's coffee a group visit to the Bighorn afterwards? >:-)
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
March 11th, 2010 at 2:57:51 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

May I suggest for the next Wizard's coffee a group visit to the Bighorn afterwards? >:-)

Not a bad idea, but that place is way out in the sticks. It also wouldn't surprise me if they cap the 2-1 at something small.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: