MalcomD
MalcomD
  • Threads: 7
September 11th, 2012 at 8:24:53 AM permalink
So your playing blackjack and you have been playing the minimum 15$ bet while keeping count. The count goes to plus three and you bet 50$ but lose,should you continue betting 50$ now that the count is clearly in your favor? Or should you go back to betting 15$? I noticed in the times where I have lost money in blackjack it was through making dumb bets, gambling instead of skillfully playing. I still don't understand when you should raise your bet and I don't understand what you should do if you lose your big bets in a positive count. I know the advice in many circles is bet 1 unit at +1 2 at +2 and 5 at +3 but they don't say what to do if you lose your initial bet.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 11th, 2012 at 8:30:26 AM permalink
Quote: MalcomD

So your playing blackjack and you have been playing the minimum 15$ bet while keeping count. The count goes to plus three and you bet 50$ but lose,should you continue betting 50$ now that the count is clearly in your favor? Or should you go back to betting 15$? I noticed in the times where I have lost money in blackjack it was through making dumb bets, gambling instead of skillfully playing. I still don't understand when you should raise your bet and I don't understand what you should do if you lose your big bets in a positive count. I know the advice in many circles is bet 1 unit at +1 2 at +2 and 5 at +3 but they don't say what to do if you lose your initial bet.

If the count is still high, keep your bet up since you still have a favorable count. If the hand you lost pulled out a lot of high cards, then adjust your bet to reflect the new count.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
September 11th, 2012 at 9:56:15 AM permalink
Quote: MalcomD

I know the advice in many circles is bet 1 unit at +1 2 at +2 and 5 at +3 but they don't say what to do if you lose your initial bet.

A high count just means that the next hand are in the players favour- whether or not you won or lost your previous hands.
Hence "they" don't say what to do if you lose your initial bet, because it really doesn't matter. If you sweat the big bet because you're afraid losing it again - you should lower your bet unit.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 11th, 2012 at 10:21:58 AM permalink
Can we assume your cash on hand is at least $3,000 ?

You can have less if you are "Fergusoning " in !
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
September 11th, 2012 at 10:36:46 AM permalink
I will echo the other posters. If the count is still high, keep the big bet out, even increasing if necessary. I always put out somewhat random looking stacks of green&red to look like a gambler chasing losses.

If you are sweating your big bets, you may be playing at too high a level.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
September 13th, 2012 at 12:29:44 PM permalink
Mistake #1 raising the bet before winning a hand at the better count
Mistake #2 the raise should be a parlay to $30. Win again, and go to say $50.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: