Thread Rating:

kitties666
kitties666
  • Threads: 11
June 9th, 2012 at 6:43:20 PM permalink
anyone ever play this? how is that place?
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
June 9th, 2012 at 6:50:10 PM permalink
Quote: kitties666

anyone ever play this? how is that place?

Nearly all their BJ tables are now Single Deck, dealt from a shoe on a low table. Minimums are typically $5, we played there for WoVCon... I guess one of us in the group got backed off, though I was flat betting $10 since I was just having a good time with my musical theater trivia.

As far as atmosphere, it's not as divey as people will lead you to believe. I wouldn't be there at odd hours, but during the day I felt perfectly safe. Even Doc's wife who was anti-El Cortez rather enjoyed herself. It's a pretty friendly place, but it does feel old and rundown.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
June 9th, 2012 at 6:57:05 PM permalink
The game is one of the better in town. Many people mention they have a lot of break in dealers this may work for you or against you. The El Cortez is one of the older properties in town. It has been on an upswing. The clientele is a mix of older folks who have been visiting for decades, younger folk who are looking for decent gaming and various local oddballs. It is perfectly safe. The area was very run down but in the last several years it has gone way uphill. What was empty store fronts 5 years ago are a lot of trendy bars. Zappos founder is a big supporter of the area and is putting a good amount of money into the area. Now its a hipster haven.

The rooms are not bad. The cafe is ok nothing special and the steakhouse is good. Many better steakhouses in town but prices are very reasonable. If you play use your card. Comps and offers come easy.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 9th, 2012 at 7:10:35 PM permalink
Quote: Tiltpoul

I guess one of us in the group got backed off,

Really? Who? Granted I was playing craps, PGP and looking around, but this is the first I hear of it.

Quote:

As far as atmosphere, it's not as divey as people will lead you to believe. I wouldn't be there at odd hours, but during the day I felt perfectly safe.

I agree. But I still don't trust the area alone and after dark.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wavy70
Wavy70
June 9th, 2012 at 7:20:46 PM permalink
Everyone has different comfort levels and I don't dispute Nareed but by and large the area now referred to east Fremont before 4 am feels safer than under the canopy at the same time. The good part about the bars that have opened is most have security in front of the building. But as always an ounce of prevention.

Nareed next WOVcon I'm taking you on a late nite dive tour. Wear flats.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Nareed
Nareed
June 9th, 2012 at 7:31:40 PM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Nareed next WOVcon I'm taking you on a late nite dive tour. Wear flats.

I always wear flats in Vegas.

But you'll need to bring a bludgeon, chloroform and perhaps some rope ;)
Wavy70
Wavy70
June 9th, 2012 at 7:46:53 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

But you'll need to bring a bludgeon, chloroform and perhaps some rope ;)

Sounds like a kinky time!
Nareed
Nareed
June 9th, 2012 at 7:51:34 PM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Sounds like a kinky time!

I suppose it's good of you to take it like that ;)
kitties666
kitties666
  • Threads: 11
June 9th, 2012 at 9:38:45 PM permalink
also, how about tropicana? i'm thinking about coming out...i can get airfare & a room cheaper than the room alone @ foxwoods or mohegan. they want 5 or 600 bucks for rooms for any of the dates i have available. unreal...
Wavy70
Wavy70
June 9th, 2012 at 9:48:40 PM permalink
Quote: kitties666

also, how about tropicana? i'm thinking about coming out...i can get airfare & a room cheaper than the room alone @ foxwoods or mohegan. they want 5 or 600 bucks for rooms for any of the dates i have available. unreal...

Can't give you any Trop help but I live in CT and my wife and I can spend a week in LV for what MSun charges for a night. Someday they might understand why II go there maybe 4 nights a year and to Vegas for about 3 weeks.

EDIT: That and the insane drink rules. 6oz of beer every 20 min and no drinks after 1:30 am

• Jump to: