Fuck you, Bob.

You sure give up easy. Oh well.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
  • Threads: 26
November 7th, 2010 at 8:42:35 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

And you're a homophobic, racist, socially inept failure who loses huge sums gambling every year. You don't work for a trucking company, except perhaps as a part-time janitor. Why? Because no one would tolerate working for a bastard like you; furthermore, you don't have the intellect to run a hot dog stand, let alone a trucking company.

I find you utterly repulsive. You are no longer worth talking to.

I think you're a sissy and I'd probably feel sorry for you if I met you. No way I could slap you either.

I don't run the company; I'm the ops exec. for this region. I do my own janitorial work, I hate hot dogs, and how much intellect does one really need to keep a bunch of trucks, truckers, and costs in-line anyway? I'm not Menthsa....Menthsa...golly gee, I just can't get rid of that lithp when I say that little word!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 7th, 2010 at 10:53:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Here's a perfect example of what I mean. A friend of mine, that I met in mensa, is now 75. In his 40's he invented something that you would all know if I mentioned it, which I won't do. Is he rich now? He so screwed up the company that made the item, so ran it into the ground with wild spending, that he was forced to sell the rights to his invention and the company that bought it made millions. Literally millions. He's great at ideas, terrible at execution, he's a loser. He's my friend, but I don't see him much because all he talks about is himself. He can't help it.

Course, that's not a sing of Mensa membership or otherwise. High IQ is no indication of business success (there's a 0 correlation).

IQ means about as much as an IQ score, but if you want to join a club of people who are into intellectual pursuits, go for your life. My 115 tested IQ isn't going to get me in anyways, but I'll live. I could probably score much higher now, as learning how to do IQ tests (for me) isn't too hard on the ones I've tried since that formal test a few years back.

I also don't think you score the game on net income, number of children or average annual charitable donations (in time, money or net expertise).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
November 8th, 2010 at 1:54:55 AM permalink
So this guy reckons he has an IQ of 190?
The normal expectations are for about 90 people in the US to have an IQ of over 175. For over 190 it would be less than 5 (probably 1 or less I will have to find the stats). The probability that one of these 5 people would waste so much time talking rubbish on this particular gambling forum? Unmeasurable.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 8th, 2010 at 12:36:15 PM permalink
Quote: Aussie

So this guy reckons he has an IQ of 190?
The normal expectations are for about 90 people in the US to have an IQ of over 175. For over 190 it would be less than 5 (probably 1 or less I will have to find the stats). The probability that one of these 5 people would waste so much time talking rubbish on this particular gambling forum? Unmeasurable.

Actually, an IQ of 190 is six standard deviations from the statistical norm, which is 100. A result of six standard deviations occurs in 34 out of 100,000 trials. So there are 204 individuals out of every million with an IQ of 190 or higher. Rare, but not nearly as rare as you suggest; approximately 65,000 such indivfiduals in the US alone.

In any case, "this guy" doesn't "reckon" anything. I am simply reporting the results of a rigorous IQ test I took approximately twenty years ago--I was actually trying for a job with a US military contractor, working in an onsite translation lab.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
November 9th, 2010 at 12:26:45 AM permalink
Go and read your math textbook again Poindexter. I'm sure a 190 IQ (lol) like you will be able to figure out where you went wrong there.

There are two possibilities and neither paint a very good picture of you. It's London to a brick on that you're full of shit, a bullshit artist as we call them. You're just a tall story teller who gets his jollies from talking himself up to complete strangers on Internet forums. On the other hand if the billion to one shot gets up and you actually do have a 190 iq then what does that say about you? A genius mind that has been so utterly wasted that it has achieved practically nothing other than teaching students to rote learn and spends the majority of it's day talking mindless drivel on an Internet forum. I'll give both a wide berth thanks.

There isn't much doubt that Jerry Logan is just another Internet troll, that's been pretty well established. However he has got you well and truely pegged when he calls you a know all. Every forum has one and you old boy are it around these parts.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 9th, 2010 at 12:42:33 AM permalink

Go and read your math textbook again Poindexter. I'm sure a 190 IQ (lol) like you will be able to figure out where you went wrong there. .

I also choked at the 190 claim. If you're going to make up a figure, don't be ridiculous. Better still, don't mention it at all because it proves nothing except that you're impressed with yourself.
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 9th, 2010 at 12:39:50 PM permalink

Go and read your math textbook again Poindexter. I'm sure a 190 IQ (lol) like you will be able to figure out where you went wrong there.

There are two possibilities and neither paint a very good picture of you. It's London to a brick on that you're full of shit, a bullshit artist as we call them. You're just a tall story teller who gets his jollies from talking himself up to complete strangers on Internet forums. On the other hand if the billion to one shot gets up and you actually do have a 190 iq then what does that say about you? A genius mind that has been so utterly wasted that it has achieved practically nothing other than teaching students to rote learn and spends the majority of it's day talking mindless drivel on an Internet forum. I'll give both a wide berth thanks.

There isn't much doubt that Jerry Logan is just another Internet troll, that's been pretty well established. However he has got you well and truely pegged when he calls you a know all. Every forum has one and you old boy are it around these parts.

I am so utterly disappointed that you don't like me. However, you are the one that is "full of shit" when you call me a liar, and quite frankly, that smacks of the nasty internet behavior that you so deplore.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 9th, 2010 at 12:56:33 PM permalink

Can you explain why to a 115 IQ like me why 190 isn't possible or not 6 standard deviations from the norm?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
November 9th, 2010 at 1:14:42 PM permalink
I'd have to go back and look it up, but I think the original use of the IQ test was meant for children ... the quotient of mental age to chronological age. In other words, a 10-year-old scoring on the IQ test what is normally scored by a 13-year-old led to the IQ of 13 / 10 * 100% = 130. In this classical sense, IQs measured after, say, the pre-teen years are pretty useless. I think one of the major problems with it was its failure to account for "late bloomers," meaning, if you have a bad day on IQ Test Day (or got particularly lucky), you could be labeled as something you're not, and that label (back then) tended to stick with you. It could also mean a spot on the WWI infantry vs. officer-candidate school, so it was a pretty important deal. (We're talking 1910s - 1920s or so here.)

An IQ of 190 in this classic sense is rare in the extreme. Depending on which scale you use, "genius" starts at around 145 - 165, and we're already talking about something like 0.1% of test-takers at those limits. So, without doing the normal curve math, we're talking about something on the order of 20,000 of the 6 billion or so people alive today having a (classic) IQ this high. (Six-sigma, or 3.4 per million ... remember your early 80s business models!)

Since then, the term "IQ" has been applied to several other intelligence tests other than this classic one. It's kind of like "Kleenex" = "tissue" or "Band-Aid" = "adhesive bandage" ... "IQ" = "intelligence test".

I think MKL is talking about the Wexler (sp?) scale of measuring classic IQ, which is given a mean of 100 and a sdev of 15. But Wexler made up an adult intelligance test which has many variants are meant to measure adult intelligence. So to say "My IQ is 190!" after scoring 190 on a Wexler test just because Wexler created an IQ scale can be ... um ... misleading.

(Hey, I went to Stanford and earned a degree in a building named for one of the guys who wrote the Stanford-Binet intelligence scores, Louis Terman. Had to learn it in Pysch 1!)
thecesspit
thecesspit
November 9th, 2010 at 1:16:48 PM permalink
I think it's Weschler... only because I had a friend with the same name.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
November 9th, 2010 at 2:07:56 PM permalink
Wechsler, then.

But anyway, I don't think MKL has a 190 IQ using the Wechsler scale ... statistically speaking, there's only about 1,300 of those here in the States. And even if, by some other measure, he scored 190, I doubt it was in the classic sense. If he's, oh, 40 years old or younger, there had already been a big move away from the IQ test as a predictor of success. Oh, those turbulent 60s ...

He might have 190 on some other test or on some other IQ Test scale, but the way he describes it matches Wechlser's. No effing way he's 190 on that scale, we're talking Will Hunting smart at that number. In other words, he'd have to get a perfect 2400 on the SATs ... not just once, but 999 times out of 1,000 to approximate the probability. Like I said, no effing way. He's talking out of his ass. He's probably 190 on a scale where 200 is the 50/50 cutoff point or something, or maybe some other test altogether. In any event, he's DEFINITEY minus-six-sigma on emotional maturity.

Don't worry, he won't respond. He blocked me for saying that Norway's economy (about the same size as Romania's) wasn't a major European economy.

Cheers!
mkl654321
mkl654321
November 9th, 2010 at 2:42:38 PM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

An IQ of 190 in this classic sense is rare in the extreme. Depending on which scale you use, "genius" starts at around 145 - 165, and we're already talking about something like 0.1% of test-takers at those limits. So, without doing the normal curve math, we're talking about something on the order of 20,000 of the 6 billion or so people alive today having a (classic) IQ this high. (Six-sigma, or 3.4 per million ... remember your early 80s business models!)

The test I took was supposed to be "correlated" to standard IQ tests, but I was 32 years old when I took it, and it was definitely meant for adults. It was administered by the military, and I was told it was very similar to the tests they give recruits to determine if they would be nominated for OCS. However, it had a much heavier language component than those tests, because I was applying to be a translator (with a civilian contractor). They didn't have very many people then who spoke Arabic languages, so if I had gotten the job, I would have been sent to a total-immersion language school to learn something like Farsi or Pashto.

You're right about six-sigma being 3.4 per million--I dropped a decimal point when I said it was 34 per million. That probably means that my true IQ is in the 150-165 range. I don't consider the actual number to mean all that much, since how it's been derived over the years has varied so widely.

In any case, I was only relaying what I had been told were the results from a standardized test (all ten hours of it). FWIW, I took the GRE exam not long after that, and scored 760 verbal and 740 math out of 800, so I doubt that placed me any higher than the 99th percentile (not, for example, 99.9th). I am under no mistaken impression that there aren't a LOT of people out there who are smarter than me.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 9th, 2010 at 3:36:16 PM permalink
we're talking Will Hunting smart at that number>>

MKL should change his user name to Will Hunting, its so fitting.
  • Jump to: