Thread Rating:

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
December 30th, 2022 at 10:08:59 AM permalink
DarkOz, what happened in your recent basement flood to all your comic books? I hope they weren't again destroyed? Stuff like that, home insurance is not going to cover unless you pay extra for a special rider.

Yes you're quite different from me. I'll keep a watch unworn for years until I might start wearing it, and I'll be really careful about not scratching it (definitely would not wear a bracelet next to it). And if keeping something brand new and sealed, a collectible, increases its value, I will keep it in that state.

On the other hand, I have paintings and artwork worth a lot hanging on the walls, and I don't keep the pieces stored away in a temperature humidity controlled place, I display them because I like to see them.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
MDawg
MDawg
December 30th, 2022 at 10:15:44 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Buying a SS Datejust and then putting all that aftermarket stuff on it is sort of like buying a used Honda Civic and then pimping it out with $20k of aftermarket bling. Makes no sense financially and looks ghetto AF
link to original post

I would tend to agree.

BUT there are some all factory Rolexes with diamonds that look pretty damn nice.

For example this is an older 39mm platinum Masterpiece (discontinued model for men), all factory diamonds, ref. 18956

I actually saw this model some years ago at the Rolex AD. The buyer had put a deposit on it, and then not paid for it, had lost the deposit or some such, so the AD was offering it to me for around $150K. I put it on and kept turning my wrist around and DAMN! the thing looked incredible I couldn't get over it. Those diamonds go all the way around the band, a full 360.
I didn't pull the trigger right then, and when I went back, it had sold.

That watch is being offered in the $250K range right now, as NOS (new old stock), meaning unworn, but I've seen it also offered pre-owned for around $180K or so too.

Here is an even nicer (for some) version of it, all factory, with the meteorite dial:

And here is an all factory white gold Submariner, a gray market dealer is offering for around $200K in the wholesale market (but being offered for twice that at chrono24, which is retail):

But getting back to the more "ghetto" watches, with aftermarket crapola on them, is this Daytona, with an AF bezel, that recently sold for about $40K:

It is solid yellow gold, it is genuine, but that dial and bezel are all aftermarket (and there was also some issue with the clasp, which brought the price down some too).

But basically, you're right, usually the ones who show up at the tables in Vegas with those tricked out, iced out, aftermarket Rolexes, are trying to show off and paid less for their watches than many lower key Rolexes, Pateks, Breguets, etc. that are worth far more. I could be wearing, for example, a tourbillon, that is worth more than any watch I have mentioned above, but almost no one would know it.
Last edited by: MDawg on Dec 30, 2022
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
December 30th, 2022 at 10:33:39 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

DarkOz, what happened in your basement flood to all your comic books? I hope they weren't again destroyed?
link to original post

I appreciate the concern.

It's been a disaster but the comic collection is safe because it's in a different part of the house.

However it's been a massive snowball effect of disaster.

Day before Christmas Eve the basement flooded with seawater when the Atlantic Ocean and Bay (opposite side--I live on a Peninsula) rose higher than normal. It's happened twice in fifty years. 2012 with Hurricane Sandy and before that in 1960 which is why no one paid attention to the warnings about Hurricane Sandy.

So now the third time since 1960.

The basement flood took out the boiler and electricity in the basement only so I still had power to the house and hot running water but no heat.

I couldn't get the proper services as it was Christmas Eve and I wasn't the only house damaged in the flood of course. So my house was scheduled for work in three days (even when I managed to get that moved up they just called the morning of and cancelled for being short of crew)

And then Christmas Eve the temperature plummeted to -5 with no heat in my house. I crossed my fingers but didn't help. On Monday evening the pipes froze and Burst.

I now had a second flood this time from above showering water. My living room now was destroyed, my home theater, retro refrigerator, carpet etc.

I had to call the fire department which got the entire water supply to my house shut off until the pipes can be repaired and since they observed the water coming from the electrical sockets and the lighting fixtures they said they had to turn off the power as well as it's a fire hazard.

So I have now found myself technically homeless again. I mean I can go home but it's just a dark shell with no heat, water or power.

I have moved the family into a hotel. The whole insurance process plus analyzing the structural integrity, repairing water pipes, repairing electrical wiring, the boiler, and cleaning out the Black Mold (a very unhealthy side effect of seawater flooding) is probably going to take months.

It's pretty hilarious I am making a good AP living currently and I am still homeless lol.

Just another day, week, month and year in the life of Darkoz.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MDawg
MDawg
December 30th, 2022 at 11:14:31 AM permalink
Those types of things seem to always happen on a Friday or Saturday such that you have to wait until Monday to even make the call for help, and in your case Monday was a sort of holiday because Christmas fell on the day before, on Sunday.

As far as staying in hotels, I assume your insurance is paying for that plus food up to a limit per day, plus something extra for clothing and hygiene products, etc. you had to buy. When the southern California fires have hit, people I know even whose homes were not destroyed had to move out for a while so that their homes were cleared of all the wildfire smoke smell.

Well, we all know that it is possible to make money while staying in hotels. 😉

When you keep talking about going to the neighborhood bodega I assumed you still lived in a rented apartment somewhere not near the shoreline. All this talk of seawater, so you moved out of the City? and own somewhere? You have a mortgage now? Or is this all renter's insurance that is covering your personal property while the landlord's insurance is covering structural damage. If the landlord is handling it all you have to do is push him some, versus dealing with homeowner's insurance yourself.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
December 30th, 2022 at 11:30:28 AM permalink
All of those watches look very gaudy to me

IMO, one of reasons a rose gold or platinum day-date looks so great is it’s not over-the-top gaudy. I do have diamond hour markers on mine but would never go beyond that. Diamond bezel/face/bracelet is just too much…turns a sleek, classy watch into a guido watch
It’s all about making that GTA
darkoz
darkoz
December 30th, 2022 at 11:32:30 AM permalink

Those types of things seem to always happen on a Friday or Saturday such that you have to wait until Monday to even make the call for help, and in your case Monday was a sort of holiday because Christmas fell on the day before, on Sunday.

As far as staying in hotels, I assume your insurance is paying for that plus food up to a limit per day, plus something extra for clothing and hygiene products, etc. you had to buy. When the southern California fires have hit, people I know even whose homes were not destroyed had to move out for a while so that their homes were cleared of all the wildfire smoke smell.

When you keep talking about going to the neighborhood bodega I assumed you still lived in a rented apartment somewhere not near the shoreline. All this talk of seawater, so you moved out of the City? and own somewhere? You have a mortgage now? Or is this all renter's insurance that is covering your personal property while the landlord's insurance is covering structural damage.
link to original post

Renters insurance. So the majority of the damages, boiler, wiring, pipes is on the landlord. I have a nice beach house but rented. I have been doing this AP for a decade but I would be too nervous to go for a thirty or twenty years mortgage. The AP is a bit of a rollercoaster ride.

If you consider Manhattan the city then I technically never lived in the city. But New Yorkers consider all the Burroughs to be New York. Coney Island is considered NY but not the "City".

It's regional clarification I suppose. I live in NYC but the suburbs of NYC which is not the City.
MDawg
MDawg
December 30th, 2022 at 11:47:30 AM permalink
Well it's a good thing you had renter's insurance then!

As well, since the landlord is handling it all you have to do is push him some as far as getting the structural damage handled, versus dealing with homeowner's insurance yourself.

I know NYC pretty well. But not the outskirts, only Manhattan.

If you are into Lou Reed, and listen to the album "New York" - yeah, that's the City!
MDawg
MDawg
December 30th, 2022 at 12:15:23 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

All of those watches look very gaudy to me

IMO, one of reasons a rose gold or platinum day-date looks so great is it’s not over-the-top gaudy. I do have diamond hour markers on mine but would never go beyond that. Diamond bezel/face/bracelet is just too much…turns a sleek, classy watch into a guido watch
link to original post

I have a number of DayDates including of course

the platinum 40mm (latest model):

None have any diamonds on them anywhere. Yellow Gold. Rose Gold. Platinum. No diamonds anywhere.

But I'll tell ya', if you go try something like this on:

you might become a believer. Which is why I might someday sell my platinum DayDate and get an identical one with the factory diamond dial and diamond bezel. (Beyond that is not currently an option - Rolex no longer makes any DayDate type "Masterpiece" with diamonds on the case itself, or in the bracelet.)
MDawg
MDawg
December 30th, 2022 at 12:25:22 PM permalink
DarkOz, I thought a way to broach the Cartier bracelet topic to your employee.

"Aren't those things like forty thousand dollars?"

And then, if she's really your confidante she will let you know if indeed she paid something like that for it, or if she paid a lot less perhaps because it's not genuine Cartier.

She did seem to tell you the truth about the Rolex.

Of course, the right occasion has to come up, and you might need to prelude the real question with some preamble to not make her think that your goal is simply to find out if it is real, such as, "That thing is blinding me the way the diamonds shine!" etc.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 30th, 2022 at 4:20:57 PM permalink
Maybe 30 years ago, my late mother shows me a spiffy watch on her wrist. Looks like a gold Rolex. No way she could afford one. She says ‘look at my new Bolex’! The ‘R’ is really more a ‘B’! Otherwise, to a non watch guy like me it looked just like a real Rolex. She bought it from a street vendor for $15. She was quite happy with it!
Ace2
Ace2
December 30th, 2022 at 4:39:59 PM permalink
The Platina you posted isn’t so bad because the diamond bezel blends very well with the platinum color

Besides, aren’t excessive diamonds more of a female thing? As a guy you should care more about a good-sized chunk of precious metal on your wrist. If your name is Guido you”ll also have it on your neck and fingers
MDawg
MDawg
December 30th, 2022 at 5:00:31 PM permalink
I believe the Platina (ref. 116506) is available these days only in two versions:

Diamond markers,

and no diamond markers.

The MSRP on the one with no diamonds is $75K, and on the one with, $82K. That's again if you are lucky enough to find a Rolex AD willing to sell one to you. There is no way out of the sales tax which will be added to the watch.

Or, you may look to find one in the gray market, but these are still not available at below MSRP, although they have come down lately to the point where the price for a pre-owned will be quite close to the final price including sales tax you'd pay for a brand new one.

This is a special version all factory Platina that I assume you'd be agin, but I'd certainly take one if someone gave it to me!

Like I said, I've always been against diamonds on watches but I started liking them lately. I don't wear any bracelets lately, although I have some masculine ones made out of gold or platinum. As far as rings, I wear just the wedding band which does have eternity diamonds around it, but otherwise it is not gaudy at all. Necklaces, certainly, but again always masculine cuts of anchor chain or something like that (NO Figaro, NO herringbone).

The Guido types tend to have Figaro chains which are *gasp* in my opinion, and herringbone is even worse. It's no longer the 1990s. The Guidos and rappers also tend to have more than one necklace on at the same time (, even *gasp* more than one precious metal at the same time (wearing for example yellow gold mixed with white gold or platinum), all of which I think also looks pretty bad.
Ace2
Ace2
December 30th, 2022 at 7:15:40 PM permalink
115506 can be bought on chrono24 for $105k. Better than before but still quite high…grey market prices in a normal market are about 30% below MSRP. No sales tax provided you live in a different state than the seller. And they accept credit cards; 100k miles can be a round-trip overseas business class ticket worth $7k. One of the best things about chrono24 is the 14-day return policy…any doubts you can return it
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 31st, 2022 at 5:34:04 AM permalink

have the results for 2022 been solidified and verified yet_________________?

did he win $10 million or was it $20 million___________?

I'm predicting the final tally is $17 million

anybody have a different prediction___________?

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 31st, 2022 at 6:07:07 AM permalink
I hope it was at least twenty million. We can use the tax revenue.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
December 31st, 2022 at 7:59:07 AM permalink

The Guido types tend to have Figaro chains which are *gasp* in my opinion, and herringbone is even worse. It's no longer the 1990s. The Guidos and rappers also tend to have more than one necklace on at the same time (, even *gasp* more than one precious metal at the same time (wearing for example yellow gold mixed with white gold or platinum), all of which I think also looks pretty bad.
link to original post

Don't forget about baseball players who often wear multiple chains while out on the field.

Personally, I'm a Cuban link fan.
MDawg
MDawg
December 31st, 2022 at 10:25:54 AM permalink
Some of those baseball players wear religious medallions either on the precious metal necklaces or separately, so some wear them to show faith versus just for bling purposes - but, yes, you have to wonder about how those relatively long necklaces don't get in the way of play.

A shorter necklace doesn't much get in the way of anything but longer ones are going to swing around when they are moving or running.
MDawg
MDawg
December 31st, 2022 at 12:00:30 PM permalink
Vegas weather not so bad today, warmer than last New Year's Eve.

Southern California - rainstorms expected!
MDawg
MDawg
December 31st, 2022 at 4:23:58 PM permalink
Happy New Year!

MDawg
MDawg
January 2nd, 2023 at 10:34:19 AM permalink
We try to be

here.
MDawg
MDawg
January 3rd, 2023 at 1:58:59 PM permalink
Someone was asking how comps work?

When I first started playing again about 4 years ago, after a decade or so hiatus, I intended to play mostly just for comps. I used an edge to keep the chips flowing in my direction, but didn't really concern myself too much with the numbers as long as I stayed ahead.

As far as comps, you may read more about how exactly they work, in this thread
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/gambling/36459-perpetual-comp-machine/

After a couple of years of play, I was playing a lot harder than just for comps, and last year, I played very hard, to the point where my comps were off the chart. I also managed to win, quite a lot actually, but there were a lot of ups and downs and stress associated with that heavy duty action.

So the first thing you must decide as far as comps, is if you're playing just for comps, or playing to also win money. Of course, ideally we want both, but unless you really know what you are doing, and have a way to overcome the inherent house advantage, you may end up paying more for those comps than they are worth.
sunbachao
sunbachao
  • Threads: 0
January 3rd, 2023 at 4:37:43 PM permalink
"Of course, ideally we want both, but unless you really know what you are doing, and have a way to overcome the inherent house advantage, you may end up paying more for those comps than they are worth.".

Yep and this thing happens for 99.99% of players
MDawg
MDawg
January 4th, 2023 at 9:09:31 AM permalink
On a different topic: Personal experience of course is what matters, not what someone read in a book.
billryan
billryan
January 4th, 2023 at 9:18:25 AM permalink
Quote: sunbachao

"Of course, ideally we want both, but unless you really know what you are doing, and have a way to overcome the inherent house advantage, you may end up paying more for those comps than they are worth.".

Yep and this thing happens for 99.99% of players
link to original post

Because they choose to.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MDawg
MDawg
January 4th, 2023 at 10:47:24 AM permalink
I actually have met high rollers with a cheerful defeatist attitude of "I'm here to donate" - but I think most anyone who sits down at the tables intends to win. Once that doesn't work out, why not get something out of the play, although personally, the free rooms and meals don't mean much unless they come alongside a net win.
MDawg
MDawg
January 5th, 2023 at 10:38:20 AM permalink
I'm seeing bigger offers of loss rebates this year to some people I know (people who have been in Vegas and lost this month already). Not reaching the levels I have negotiated, but not bad at all.
MDawg
MDawg
January 5th, 2023 at 1:52:10 PM permalink
Don't know how to gamble?

We'd love to teach you!

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 5th, 2023 at 2:00:35 PM permalink

Don't know how to gamble?

We'd love to teach you!

link to original post

About 25 years ago many of the casinos offered free classes to learn the different games. I sat in on a craps class at Mandalay Bay I believe.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2023 at 4:07:55 PM permalink
When I was comp hustling, the Four Queens and South Point lessons were on my rounds. South Point gave out two $5 chips and 4Q gave a $5 chip and a 2-4-1 to Magnolias. El Cortez offered VP and craps, but didn't give you anything.
MDawg
MDawg
January 6th, 2023 at 10:02:54 AM permalink
Conventions really are back in full force in Vegas. There have been evenings when these companies take over the major restaurants in some of the top Strip resorts for private events such that it's hard to find one open for a meal or even for take out.

Elevators jammed with convention goers, all of the suites and sometimes even all of the rooms sold out, hordes of convention goers roaming the passageways, all that.
MDawg
MDawg
January 7th, 2023 at 11:33:00 AM permalink
Apparently there is someone out there who claims to have racked up a gang of MLife tier credits, willing to sell them all in one shot for about nothing. Someone interacted with the seller and says that he verified that the credits exist.

This guy trying to sell his comps could set the buyer up with rooms and make it so that the other party on the room (the buyer, or the buyer’s friends or family) could check in first, or even (at some resorts) just set it up so that the guest could check in without even any necessity for the player to be present.

But as far as meals, at most resorts, the seller would have to be physically present to run the tab against his comps and present ID, not that it doesn't happen where a player card presented is accepted without ID, but in general player card plus ID are needed to use especially that kind of comps (credits loaded on a player card).

And in any case, simply paying this guy up front for his comps hoping that he would help the buyer out with RFB in the future, would not be wise. Really the only way to do this sort of thing is something like the way buyers these days accept scalped tickets at the event - paying only after certain that the tickets will work.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
January 7th, 2023 at 1:41:09 PM permalink

Apparently there is someone out there who claims to have racked up a gang of MLife tier credits, willing to sell them all in one shot for about nothing. Someone interacted with the seller and says that he verified that the credits exist.

This guy trying to sell his comps could set the buyer up with rooms and make it so that the other party on the room (the buyer, or the buyer’s friends or family) could check in first, or even (at some resorts) just set it up so that the guest could check in without even any necessity for the player to be present.

But as far as meals, at most resorts, the seller would have to be physically present to run the tab against his comps and present ID, not that it doesn't happen where a player card presented is accepted without ID, but in general player card plus ID are needed to use especially that kind of comps (credits loaded on a player card).

And in any case, simply paying this guy up front for his comps hoping that he would help the buyer out with RFB in the future, would not be wise. Really the only way to do this sort of thing is something like the way buyers these days accept scalped tickets at the event - paying only after certain that the tickets will work.
link to original post

Wow, that’s interesting. The seller sounds a bit shady and is perhaps looking for a naïve buyer. Besides the difficulty of IDs and using the comps earned by another player, there’s a couple other things a potential “buyer” should consider.

First, verification that the tier credits actually exist is pretty much meaningless because all MGM Rewards tier credits re-set to zero on January 1. There wouldn’t be any tier credits to verify unless the seller has put in some crazy play levels in the first few days of 2023. Tier Status expires on January 31 of the year following the year the status was earned, so if they were selling platinum status earned in 2022, the status would be valid for 2023 and January of 2024. So it seems what the seller is really selling here is Tier Status, not tier credits.

Second, although tier credits will establish one’s Tier Status, and each status level has its own “rewards” (waived resorts fees, upgrades, limo rides etc), these status rewards are not comps (room, food, beverage, free play, resort credits etc, etc). Here’s the key, and some potential “buyers” might not understand this…Tier credits and Tier Status, in and of themselves, have no bearing whatsoever on comps. Front-end corporate comps are earned by PLAY ONLY. Play earns tier credits, but not all tier credits are earned from play. If the buyer wants to keep the comps up during the year, they’re going to need to keep their play level up to the previous play level of the seller, otherwise the buyer's comps are going to shrink real fast.
MDawg
MDawg
January 7th, 2023 at 2:16:54 PM permalink
I don't know much about how MLife credits work as other than future MLife via the Cosmopolitan, all I have MLife wise is a tier matched Platinum card that I haven't used for anything.

Cosmopolitan Identity points may be used for food and beverage, but I haven't ever used them for that, because I have so many comps anyway. In rare instances when the host can't comp some kind of retail item, some of these Identity points may be used to offset the cost. I don't really even keep track of what happens with these Identity points and I am sure many of them have expired on me, but given that they may be used only for certain things, I am not losing out on anything at the property itself. I suppose I should look into transferring them to Marriott Bonvoy rewards, which is an option.

At Wynn, I have lent my Chairman's card to friends to get them into the buffet without any wait, and then the friends have returned the card to me. Wynn is one of the resorts that doesn't ask for ID when room charging or using slip comps, at least, they never ask for it from me. I don't think this is because the maitre d' / hostess / server knows me, because that is not the case at every restaurant. I think Wynn's general policy is not to ask for ID, just to match the last name with the bill.

At Wynn, the only thing I use Wynn dollars, which is their "points" accumulation reward for table play, for is to purchase high end consumer goods from their shopwynnrewards or luxuryboutiqueaffair websites, goods that are then shipped directly to you. I never use Wynn dollars for food or beverage because I always have so many comps available that it would be silly to waste Wynn dollars on F&B.

Wynn dollars have a one year expiration on them, which is a rolling one year. I suppose I could sell my Wynn dollars, but I don't think I'd get more than I would just buying something high end like a bunch of iPhones or MacBook Pros and just selling them myself.

Venetian is very tight about always asking for ID. I think they have had problems with that sort of thing. At the end of each year Grazie rewards points may be used to get gift cards and other consumer goods. At the end of each year I have a ridiculous number of these, and get tens of thousands in gift cards, but again, if my goal is to get cash, I doubt I'd get more for these than I would by just selling the gift cards. I believe that Grazie reward points must be used during a specific time in December or they will expire.

The other resorts vary. Some ask for ID when room charging or using slip comps, some do not. Some build up "points" that may be used independently of regular comps handed out by the host, and some do not.

My wife is able to present my player card at the spa to get a discount, they have never questioned her there. She did have a problem once at a Caesars property with the seven star valet because the card was not in her name, but the valet backed down.

I have almost no experience with using "points" for food and beverage, if not staying on property I always just contact the host and ask to have the dollar amount I want to spend loaded on the card by way of some sort of "slip comp" or whatever the equivalent is at that property.

But in general, other than maybe using the card to gain entry into someplace without waiting, my player card at any property could not (or at least should not) be able to be used without my being present.

Over all, I think someone who doesn't have off the chart comps as I do, could probably utilize what they get out of player cards better than I do, but since I have pretty much unlimited RFB available to me for most any length of stay, I don't think I'm missing out on anything - rather, the benefits directly off the player card program might just be an alternate way for me to get what I would get anyway.

It's unclear exactly what this seller of the MLife points is doing, or why. One theory is that the guy is done with playing and just wants to turn over the use of his card/account to someone else, but I don't think that would guarantee that the recipient would get use of it.
MDawg
MDawg
January 7th, 2023 at 2:33:24 PM permalink
What will be interesting to see is how the offers and promotions decline as I play a lot less this year, than last year, which is at this time the plan as I am busy with a lot of other things right now.

Over a decade ago when I stopped playing, the offers including free stays kept coming in for as much as 5 years depending on the property, and then disappeared entirely. But the thing is that then, as now, if I'm not playing, I am not as interested in Vegas and am not so interested period in going. We did keep going to Vegas more than most during the decade or so that I did not even play at all, but if I couldn't get the stay free I'd just pay for it, and not care.
MDawg
MDawg
January 8th, 2023 at 1:21:10 PM permalink
Vegas Knights couldn't do it (at all) last night, but they're still #1 in the Pacific Division (just ahead of the Kings).

MDawg
MDawg
January 8th, 2023 at 7:35:44 PM permalink
How to measure luxury? as in - what is the "most luxurious" resort in Vegas?

I think one way is to consider the cost of the resort versus number of rooms, taking into consideration the date built and the relative value of money from that time.

Resorts Worlds cost 4.6B to build. Cosmopolitan cost 3.9B Encore 2.6B Wynn 2.7B Bellagio 1.6B Venetian 1.5B Palazzo 1.8B

Resorts World has 3506 rooms, completed in 2021, Cosmopolitan 3027 rooms, completed in Dec 2010. Encore has 2034 rooms, completed Dec 2008, Wynn has 2716 rooms completed April 2005.

So, Resorts World per room cost was $1,312,036 per room in 2021, Cosmopolitan $1,288,404. per room in 2010, Encore $1,278,269. per room in 2008, Wynn $994,108. per room in 2005. I believe that if you consider the relative price of construction in say, 2008, that Encore put more money into its structure relative to the number of rooms than Resorts World.

If I had exact square footage sizes of these buildings I could make even better comparisons.

Once you understand the enormous hard costs, you cannot say that a room's cost is merely in the cost to clean and maintain it! A hotel room's cost to build it must be recovered some way.

In a casino resort, one way to recover hard costs is through gaming. But another, is through charging people to stay in the room. The days of viewing a Vegas room as something that isn't going to generate much revenue and might as well be given away ended a few decades today. Today, with Vegas visitors such as convention goers and other corporate clients and even non-gaming tourists willing to pay full rack rate on almost any night of the week, the value of a room is most definitely what the resort can get for it, full rack rate. Whenever the resort gives the room away to a player for nothing, its value is what the room could have been rented out for that night to a non-player.

I recently got three nights for five rooms at two of the top Strip resorts over a weekend for friends and family. The rooms averaged over $1000. a night each because of conventions going on. So that was something like $18000. in comps applied, not including food and beverage and show tickets which were comp'ed too. This well over twenty grand did not include our own suite that weekend, or our own food and beverage, which that weekend our suite was pushing five grand a night.

When something is going on in Vegas, especially lately, standard room rates go over a thousand a night at the top resorts.

There were weeks when we were trying to get our usual suites at some of the resorts, and every single suite in the hotel was booked by convention goers - obviously not the average convention goer, but the owners and executives of the convention going companies.

So, to say that "even high-end suite are a soft cost worth only the cost to clean it" is to not understand how much the business has changed over the past forty years.
MDawg
MDawg
January 8th, 2023 at 8:11:24 PM permalink
We are going to do something big next month.
MDawg
MDawg
January 9th, 2023 at 10:33:10 AM permalink
Ace2 has posted about how healthful ribeye steaks are. Why is that? Is it in comparison to say, a filet mignon because a filet has more cholesterol?

I'd think that a New York steak is more healthful, with about half the fat by weight of steak, and the ability to cut away much of the fat entirely, since it tends to be along the edge versus marbled throughout.

Sirloins are probably even leaner but at that point the flavor and tenderness becomes an issue too, while NY Steak doesn't taste bad at all.
MDawg
MDawg
January 9th, 2023 at 10:54:15 AM permalink
I chanced upon a Pompsie video "How to ALWAYS WIN playing roulette in Las Vegas."

Never actually watched any Pompsie video all the way through, but in this one he Martingales $15. on black to double a $1000. bankroll to $2000. He manages because red never comes up more than 5 times in a row (but black does come up at least 8 times in a row).

Whatever.

His comment though was that in a true Martingale you not only double the loss to try to recoup the original bet, but also double the win if you win one time. Is the latter true?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 9th, 2023 at 11:15:34 AM permalink

His comment though was that in a true Martingale you not only double the loss to try to recoup the original bet, but also double the win if you win one time. Is the latter true?
link to original post

No. The original Martingale was just to double after a loss. That's it. Martingaling after a win is known as "anti-Martingaling."
MDawg
MDawg
January 9th, 2023 at 11:22:49 AM permalink
Well it's Pompsie. What do you expect.

It wasn't clear if Pompsie was talking about doubling the bet on a win one time, or continually.

But yes it wouldn't make sense to employ a Martingale and anti-Martingale at the same time, even with a set goal the risk of ruin would be tremendous.
MDawg
MDawg
January 9th, 2023 at 11:37:49 AM permalink
Imprecision abounds all over the web, not just from people who pretend to be roulette or blackjack players.

For example the vegasinc website which is apparently associated with the Las Vegas Sun, mixed and matched details about the New Frontier property, which Wynn now owns and remains vacant, and the old El Rancho Hotel / Algiers property, which is the one Carl Icahn bought in 2010, and ended up becoming The Fountainebleau.

DRich
DRich
January 9th, 2023 at 5:02:44 PM permalink

Ace2 has posted about how healthful ribeye steaks are.

I can not imagine why anyone would think a ribeye is a healthy cut of steak. I order them because they are fatty and bad for me.

My favorite was always the coffee cocoa rubbed ribeye at Smith & Wollensky in Las Vegas.
billryan
billryan
January 9th, 2023 at 5:13:35 PM permalink
Ribeyes have good fat.
DRich
DRich
January 9th, 2023 at 5:51:12 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Ribeyes have good fat.
link to original post

I don't doubt you but that just seems like a contradiction in my mind.
darkoz
darkoz
January 9th, 2023 at 7:29:05 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: billryan

Ribeyes have good fat.
link to original post

I don't doubt you but that just seems like a contradiction in my mind.
link to original post

Good fat is my wallet!
MDawg
MDawg
January 9th, 2023 at 7:30:13 PM permalink
He is talking about the fat.

And I do know that ribeyes contain healthful fat (unsaturated), but that constitutes 40% of the fat in ribeyes. The other 60% is saturated fat which is definitely not good. I am sure that we get enough saturated fat in other foods, and that whatever we get from red meat is all excess and all bad.

My point in comparing it to a New York steak is that I understand that New York steak contains less saturated fat than a ribeye.

New York Strip
A 3-ounce serving of New York strip steak has 115 calories per serving, almost 20 grams of protein, almost 4 grams of total fat, 40 milligrams of sodium and 1.5 milligrams of iron. The majority of the fat is monounsaturated fat, with 2 grams per serving, although this size serving also has 1.8 grams of saturated fat. The New York strip has 53 milligrams of cholesterol per serving.

Filet Mignon
A 3-ounce serving of filet mignon contains 130 calories, almost 19 grams of protein, 5.6 grams of total fat, 48 milligrams of sodium and 1.4 milligrams of iron. This cut of beef also has 2 grams of saturated fat and 2.2 grams of monounsaturated fats per serving, as well as 55 milligrams of cholesterol.

Rib-Eye
A 3-ounce serving of rib-eye has 137 calories, 17 grams of protein and a little over 7 grams of total fat. This size serving also has 1.9 milligrams of iron and 54 milligrams of sodium. The rib-eye cut has a slightly higher fat content per serving than the New York strip and the filet mignon. A 3-ounce serving has 2.7 grams of saturated fat and 3 grams of monounsaturated fat. The cholesterol count is 50 milligrams per serving.

With a New York steak I would think that if you cut away that entire strip of fat which is located conveniently along the edge, versus marbled all through the ribeye, the fat content would go down quite a bit. I was surprised however to find that a filet mignon, which I have always regarded as a very lean cut of meat, has more fat than a New York.

Why is it called a New York strip? Delmonico's, a New York City restaurant founded in 1827, offered the New York strip steak as its signature dish and called it the Delmonico steak. Because the restaurant was located in New York City, this strip steak is often referred to as a New York strip steak. (I have to admit, when we go to Delmonico in Vegas, at the Venetian (not the same restaurant lineage as Delmonico's), we always have the bone in ribeye.)

Anecdotal evidence that eating a lot of red meat is bad for you, would be the early demise of William Poole (July 24, 1821 – March 8, 1855), also known as Bill the Butcher, who was the leader of the Washington Street Gang, which later became known as the Bowery Boys gang. He was a local leader of the Know Nothing political movement in mid-19th-century New York City, and supposedly ate almost nothing but red meat all his short life. Cause of death was a bullet, but still.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 9th, 2023 at 7:37:22 PM permalink
My wife believes there are only two types of steaks.
Filet mignon. All the others are just cow.
MDawg
MDawg
January 9th, 2023 at 7:41:51 PM permalink
The "problem" with filets is that once you've indulged in ribeyes or even New York steaks, a plain filet doesn't taste all that great, seems quite lacking in flavor. And if you end up wrapping it in something even more unhealthful like bacon to add flavor, now you've really got the makings of arteriosclerosis on your hands.
MDawg
MDawg
January 9th, 2023 at 7:44:52 PM permalink
I would imagine though, that the Japanese Wagyu Kagawa Prefecture ribeye steaks which we have had in Vegas, have got to be on the utter extreme side of massive Wo- as in Whoaaaa-Fat content.

• Jump to: