Lovecomps
Lovecomps
  • Threads: 79
June 10th, 2019 at 8:49:54 AM permalink
I'm going out in a few days and I'll be downtown. The D says what they have is an authetic Sigma Derby machine. I don't know much about it but if it's controlled mechanically, and not electronically, are the winners really random? Is there a way (if you watch it long enough) to see sequencing patterns? I'm not going to watch 1,000 races but if it's strictly a mechanical device can this work?
The best things in life are not free.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
June 10th, 2019 at 9:48:35 AM permalink
I believe that the results are predetermined by the RNG before the race even starts, and the mechanisms just do what the electronics tell them.

There's a whole thread about it here.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 10th, 2019 at 10:33:13 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I believe that the results are predetermined by the RNG before the race even starts, and the mechanisms just do what the electronics tell them.

I agree.

And it's true, the D does have a Derby game on the second floor. Great time killer.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 10th, 2019 at 3:26:32 PM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

The D says what they have is an authetic Sigma Derby machine. I don't know much about it . . .

It is not a game you try to beat. It is a game you play with drunken friends or some sweet young thing you are trying to get drunk.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 11th, 2019 at 7:15:26 AM permalink
Where's Mission? He loves that game.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
June 11th, 2019 at 12:36:21 PM permalink
Quote: Lovecomps

I don't know much about it but if it's controlled mechanically, and not electronically, are the winners really random? Is there a way (if you watch it long enough) to see sequencing patterns? I'm not going to watch 1,000 races but if it's strictly a mechanical device can this work?

By "mechanical," I believe you're referring to the kind of slot machines before the mid-1970s in which there are no computer chips, just springs and metal contacts and oiled parts.

By "electronic," the game is run by computer chips, whether it be a slot machine with LED displays, "bubble" craps, or a video poker machine—so Sigma Derby definitely falls into this category. The horses themselves are mechanical and need a good oiling once in a while, but the mechanism that controls the horsies is electronic. The computers chips are programmed to pay back a certain percentage over the long-term, just like a slot machine!
  • Jump to: