Thread Rating:

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 266
August 14th, 2021 at 1:47:23 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

The unaccounted item in this discussion is natural immunity. I would be considered a high risk due to my age -- 80; my Type 2 diabetes, my stage 3 kidney failure, high blood pressure ( I take Losartin), and my weight, however, I have been remarkably resistant to most forms of communicable disease. I have been out in public without masking since the beginning. I am extremely confident in my natural immunity, and if most anyone were to examine the overall numbers of infections, a small fraction of populations have been stricken; a smaller number have been hospitalized; and a still smaller number have died. Guessing and speculation are just not helpful.

I believe the Spanish Flu, back in the day, killed 50 million. We are nowhere near those numbers.

tuttigym.

Well, that's fifty million worldwide but at a time when we didn't have the same medical knowledge we do now.

Also Europe was embroiled in a war in muddy trenches, perfect breeding ground for diseases.

Finally, the number of deaths in the US were only 292,000. I think if you are going to compare US Covid-19 deaths to the Spanish Flu, we are doing horrible in comparison
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 133
August 14th, 2021 at 2:52:18 PM permalink
Quote: Wellbush

i think it's already been said, but it's worth repeating....it's best to get vaccinated coz besides it reducing one's chances of being infected, if one is infected but vaccinated, one's reaction to the virus is generally much lower.

Look who it is! How have you been?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 9
August 14th, 2021 at 4:12:21 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Well, that's fifty million worldwide but at a time when we didn't have the same medical knowledge we do now.

Also Europe was embroiled in a war in muddy trenches, perfect breeding ground for diseases.

Finally, the number of deaths in the US were only 292,000. I think if you are going to compare US Covid-19 deaths to the Spanish Flu, we are doing horrible in comparison

This "pandemic" is world wide. The world's population at that time was less than half of today. While our medical knowledge is certainly more advanced now, there are similar conditions, including wars, throughout highly populated places of slums, starvation, refugee encampments, unsanitary spaces, and medical service voids.

What saved the US: very little international and in-country travel not our medical knowledge or lack thereof.

With the exception of this current year, the world, including the US, still suffers 10's of thousand of deaths from all forms of flu even with our "advanced medical" knowledge. The comparison, I believe, is valid.

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 192
August 15th, 2021 at 1:49:32 AM permalink

according to CDC there were over 140,000 new cases yesterday
I guess this is similar to surges in the past
but from what I understand the Delta variant is not as deadly
still, it's quite shocking
I'm a tutor - and it might be yet another year where I'm not allowed into my school

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100klast7days

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe

• Jump to: