Thread Rating:

mtcards
mtcards
  • Threads: 18
July 5th, 2019 at 12:27:33 PM permalink
Anyone been on a cruise for Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas lately? Am going on an Alaska cruise at the end of August and was wondering what games were offered/limits/etc.

Saw a video of the games, but it was hard to make out, plus I am told they change the games depending on the cruise location (ie more Sic Bo/Baccarat when in China)
mtcards
mtcards
  • Threads: 18
Thanked by
Ayecarumba
November 5th, 2019 at 12:06:43 AM permalink
Just an update, sorry so late.

The following games and minimums were observed on the above cruise

Three Card Poker ($10 Ante, $5 Pair Plus, $5 Six card Bonus)
Ultimate Holdem ($10 Ante, $5 Trips)
BlackJack ($10 minimum, some $15, Lucky Ladies sidebet)
Craps ($5)
Roulette ($5 minimum outside, $5 inside)
Baccart ($300 minimum - yes, thats not a typo, $300 minimum)
They had a live dealer No LImit Holdem running during peak times ($2-$4 Blinds)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 5th, 2019 at 1:04:35 AM permalink
Perhaps they did not have a baccarat crew on duty ?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 12th, 2019 at 7:49:28 AM permalink
Ovation of the Seas shore excursion was on White Island during volcanic eruption. Tourists wearing tee shirts and shorts had massive loss of skin upon arrival at excursion boat which became triage center despite lack of supplies. ALL New Zealand burn centers filled beyond capacity.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
December 13th, 2019 at 12:59:35 PM permalink
The idea of the world's largest cruise ship having a shore excursion on a volcano island at a moment when the volcano erupts - is so ridiculous that if anyone had proposed that as the plot of a disaster movie, they would have been laughed out of their meeting.

And Royal Carribean is refunding to every passenger on the Ovation the equivalent of one day's cabin rental. LOL.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
December 13th, 2019 at 3:40:34 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The idea of the world's largest cruise ship having a shore excursion on a volcano island at a moment when the volcano erupts - is so ridiculous that if anyone had proposed that as the plot of a disaster movie, they would have been laughed out of their meeting.

yeah, horrible bad negative variance for them.

a week after that happened, i was on a caribbean island where locals were offering volcano rim tour hikes.
i asked about concern for it erupting because of what happened to the tourists in new zealand.
they said their volcano has been dormant for 50+ years. (yet, i've read you can still smell the sulfur in the air when you're near it.)
yeah, i passed on that. (but i probably would have taken it if i was there before the new zealand story.)
Last edited by: 100xOdds on Dec 13, 2019
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 13th, 2019 at 7:18:28 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

yeah, horrible bad negative variance

Tours been going on for 20 years. Day it happens won't ever be good news, but November elevated risk assessment should have prompted a 'lets buy some long rubber coats and respirators for the guides and lets put a blurb in the ship board newsletter.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
December 14th, 2019 at 7:34:02 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Tours been going on for 20 years. Day it happens won't ever be good news, but November elevated risk assessment should have prompted a 'lets buy some long rubber coats and respirators for the guides and lets put a blurb in the ship board newsletter.

Murphy's law, "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong", which often is used to complain about bad luck, if stated with emphasis on the word 'will', i.e."Anything that can go wrong *will* go wrong", actually is an exercise in exploring the logic of the Law of Large Numbers if you also add the word 'eventually' .

Seems to me the people at Boeing forgot this is true.

And I think we can say the operators of the cruise ship were actually woefully ignorant of the law.* The recent event was inevitable in that the probability of it happening was presumably not astronomical .

* assuming they didn't crunch the numbers and, with dastardly greed, decide they come out ahead. Maybe this happened at Boeing too.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 14th, 2019 at 8:31:14 AM permalink
may have happened at Boeing, sure didn't happen on the cruise ship. it is astronomical: one day after 20 years?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
December 14th, 2019 at 10:19:02 AM permalink
The fact that it erupted without sufficient warning (earthquakes, etc) to make people stay away and erupted while the tourists were actually on the island (there is no 24-7 population on the island), makes it very unlucky.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 14th, 2019 at 12:39:35 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

yeah, horrible bad negative variance for them.

a week after that happened, i was on a caribbean island where locals were offering volcano rim tour hikes.
i asked about concern for it erupting because of what happened to the tourists in new zealand.
they said their volcano has been dormant for 50+ years. (yet, i've read you can still smell the sulfur in the air when you're near it.)
yeah, i passed on that. (but i probably would have taken it if i was there before the new zealand story.)

If you knew the odds of it erupting the day you took the tour, what odds would you find acceptable to do the tour? I would be good with 1000-1.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 14th, 2019 at 12:52:37 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

If you knew the odds of it erupting the day you took the tour, what odds would you find acceptable to do the tour? I would be good with 1000-1.

Good question and I might agree with 1000:1 for myself, but I am kind of inclined to up it an order of magnitude though due to the horrible nature of the deaths and injury that would be caused by scalding, death being possibly preferable to survival.

I do not agree with the idea that we have to live lives without risk. That is, for adults who are fully informed, and I do wonder if the cruise knew the risks and informed people properly.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 15th, 2019 at 1:13:05 AM permalink
If I knew the eruption would blow the top off the crater and cook me, I would need 3,000-1. If it was going to be fountains of lava like in Hawaii, that maybe I could outrun, I'd be okay with 500 to 1.

The dumbest thing I heard was that a recovery team was sent to the island to pick up dead bodies. They had to fly into the active eruption danger zone, wear special breathing aparatus, because apparently one sniff of the volcanic gas is lethal, and spend several hours there at risk...to recover DEAD bodies. What kind of value do Australian authorities put on live employees, that they would put them at that much risk for bodies that will be just as dead when the active phase of the eruption is over?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
December 15th, 2019 at 3:54:13 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

The dumbest thing I heard was that a recovery team was sent to the island to pick up dead bodies. They had to fly into the active eruption danger zone, wear special breathing aparatus, because apparently one sniff of the volcanic gas is lethal, and spend several hours there at risk...to recover DEAD bodies. What kind of value do Australian authorities put on live employees, that they would put them at that much risk for bodies that will be just as dead when the active phase of the eruption is over?

This is factually incorrect.

It is not some volcanic gas. The eruption was mainly hot ash that seared all exposed flesh irrespective of accompanying fumes. First flyover revealed no signs of life, but the event was over.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 15th, 2019 at 8:43:51 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

This is factually incorrect.

It is not some volcanic gas. The eruption was mainly hot ash that seared all exposed flesh irrespective of accompanying fumes. First flyover revealed no signs of life, but the event was over.

This article from the New York Times tells a different story (emphasis mine):
Quote: New York Times.com

WHAKATANE, New Zealand — The bodies were more than a quarter-mile from shore, some on higher ground, on a scorched, moonlike landscape shrouded in toxic gas. The troops had about three hours’ worth of oxygen, more than enough, they thought, to complete the mission.

But soon after setting foot on White Island, they knew they would need every second they could get

But the NYT isn't immune from sensationalizing a story, so I'm not surprised.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
  • Jump to: