Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 167
March 6th, 2020 at 8:16:00 AM permalink
I used to be able to understand Bushmillian but am long out of practice.
While fairy obscure, you can often hear it in Irish dive bars around dusk.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 6th, 2020 at 10:24:33 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Limes. Lyme and Old Lyme were New England towns with an abundance of tick bites that spread disease to humans.

You missed the joke.

And limes do make Corona bearable.

But I said I felt bad for Corona, but I also never supported them in the first place. But it's stupid that a business gets hurt solely on the name alone.

But I haven't bought a Corona in 21 years (senior trip to Mexico), and ain't gonna start now. If they still owned their billion-dollar blunder Ballast Point, then I might buy a 6 pack of that. I also haven't bought that in years, too expensive for the quality. But it was reported it was sold to a no-name Chicago brewery for much, much, much less in December.

As for the virus itself. Probably gonna be a fun spring. Ugh. Remember to wash your hands everyone. Bleh.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 37
March 6th, 2020 at 7:33:33 PM permalink
LA Times article on the virus arriving in Vegas.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
March 7th, 2020 at 8:27:03 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Not to minimize the effect this is having, but I'm sure the death rate on those infected will be far less than 1%. Remember, there will be many victims who seek no medical attention, and just be sick for a while and then get better. They will not be included in the 'non fatality' group. While pretty much everyone that does die will be included. And the 90 year old metastatic cancer patient barely hanging on will be listed as a coronavirus death if infected even if he was about to die from the cancer.

I see nothing wrong with the government's response. What would you want it to do? Ban travelers from Iran? China?

No, the rate is determined mostly from overseas, where they're aggressively testing and reporting even mild cases.

As of yesterday, it was 109,xxx total cases, 3,4xx deaths, for almost exactly 3.4% . Those are real numbers, not "feel with your gut" numbers.

The mildness also relates to your age. If you're above 60, it's 10-15% death rate. Under age 9, it's 0%.

So those of us in or near the older demographic are being much more cautious - at least those of us who are relying on medical and scientific sources.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
March 7th, 2020 at 10:47:30 AM permalink
When the mortality rate approaches 3% of the population I will start following it a lot closer.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
March 7th, 2020 at 11:54:25 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

When the mortality rate approaches 3% of the population I will start following it a lot closer.

Lol. You're a math guy. What part of my previous post was tough to understand?

Technically, we're at about 5% in the US. 338 reported cases, 17 deaths.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
March 7th, 2020 at 12:04:47 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Lol. You're a math guy. What part of my previous post was tough to understand?

Technically, we're at about 5% in the US. 338 reported cases, 17 deaths.

I am speaking of 3% of the population, not 3% of identified cases. That would be over 9 million deaths in the U.S. Then I would begin some serious precautions.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
March 7th, 2020 at 12:38:49 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I am speaking of 3% of the population, not 3% of identified cases. That would be over 9 million deaths in the U.S. Then I would begin some serious precautions.

Sadly, that's not out of the question, but right now they're treating it as worst case. But with zero herd immunity, it's pretty inevitable that we all will get it unless they manage a vaccine in the next year.

Without the widespread testing we need right now and still can't do, there has to be a geometric progression on contagion going on right now. It's just math.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
March 7th, 2020 at 1:17:34 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

It's just math.

Math when source data is headline differs from math when source data is a bit more reliable. Luggage handlers getting sick, but not fellow passengers re-breathing the cabin air seems strange. 'People on board a ship versus people sharing stateroom air conditioning ducts produces different math.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
March 7th, 2020 at 3:07:27 PM permalink
They don't know enough yet, but one study being quoted says BEST case world-wide, given what we know now, is 15 MILLION deaths and a 2.6 Trillion economic hit.

• Jump to: