7star4now
7star4now
Joined: Jul 8, 2013
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 782
February 12th, 2015 at 2:40:16 PM permalink
"Matt Levinson, chairman of the New Jersey Casino Control Commission, said the numbers could indicate the worst is over.

"Seven out of them were up, and six reported double-digit increases," he said. "Even when you include the now-closed casinos in last year's results, the total gaming win is still up.

When all 12 casinos that operated during January 2014 are included in the comparison, January 2015's revenue was still up by 0.9 percent.

from AP:

Bally's: $15.8 million, up 6.7 percent compared to January 2014

Borgata: $60.9 million, up 16.6 percent

Caesars: $23.1 million, up 29.8 percent

Golden Nugget: $18.3 million, up 69.6 percent

Harrah's: $30.7 million, up 20.1 percent

Resorts: $11 million, up 31.8 percent

Tropicana: $22.5 million, up 28.6 percent

Trump Taj Mahal: $12.1 million, down 21.2 percent

Source: New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/02/12/revenue-up-nearly-1-percent-at-atlantic-city-surviving-casinos-compared-to-last/
zoobrew
zoobrew
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 309
February 12th, 2015 at 2:52:01 PM permalink
But wasn't January 2014 one of the worst winter months on record for that region? Even just one weekend with really bad weather could skew the numbers. PA slot revenue was up 5% for Jan. 2015 compared to Jan. 2014, the Sands & Parx were both up 10%. I think the summer months comparisons, with no weather issues, will really tell the tale.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 154
  • Posts: 5701
February 12th, 2015 at 3:22:19 PM permalink
Quote: zoobrew

But wasn't January 2014 one of the worst winter months on record for that region? Even just one weekend with really bad weather could skew the numbers. PA slot revenue was up 5% for Jan. 2015 compared to Jan. 2014, the Sands & Parx were both up 10%. I think the summer months comparisons, with no weather issues, will really tell the tale.




Also there was 5 Fridays and Saturdays in January, which increases the numbers. These are the only 2 days AC is busy in the winter.
Intheknow
Intheknow
Joined: Jan 8, 2015
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 179
February 12th, 2015 at 3:26:11 PM permalink
The machines in tropicana are tighter then tight. I don't care what anyone says. You come in from out of town, check in, sit down at a machine for 30 minutes and you've already lost 100.00. That gets old quick.
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
Joined: Feb 21, 2012
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 786
February 12th, 2015 at 4:00:16 PM permalink
I'm not sure where the .9% positive is coming from. Maybe they are including online revenue? AC was down about $300,000 from January 2014 to January 2015. DGE has gotten very creative about trying to hide the revenue from closed casinos ans sneaking in internet rev.
JackStraw8004
JackStraw8004
Joined: Mar 27, 2013
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 146
February 12th, 2015 at 4:31:04 PM permalink
They are including online revenue. Also as a previous poster has pointed out this has been a very mild Winter for South Jersey. Virtually no snow. Last Winter it seemed that there was one big snowstorm after another.
7star4now
7star4now
Joined: Jul 8, 2013
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 782
February 12th, 2015 at 4:37:32 PM permalink
Many valid points, but possibly this shows that there is an ignored base of loyal, & quasi-loyal , AC customers who could help stop the bleeding if the powers that be just removed their heads from their arses & focused on finally their core business "GAMING" & dropped the BS re non-gaming fluff once & for all.

If AC maintained the most pro-player rules & loosest paybacks- they could take back a significant chunk of what they lost to local slot parlors.

Where has all these early ck-in fees, resort fees , lousy table odds, etc etc, gotten them but in the toilet.

They can keep hiding in the corner, whining re competitive environment, or they can compete.

Look at Shake Shack, what more competitive business could there be than selling burgers?

Build a better mousetrap, you have the advantage of being an Oceanfront destination & you'll compete.

Borgata, like Shake Shack, opened in an extremely competitive market & succeeded.

Revel tried to use smoke & mirrors to obscure gaming as its core business & lit $4 billion on fire.

Can't they see the obvious, adding all the fees & watering down odds on what customers remain, is like requiring a blood donation from a patient in need of a blood transfusion
MprtUSA516
MprtUSA516
Joined: Jan 23, 2015
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 33
February 12th, 2015 at 4:42:23 PM permalink
Quote: JackStraw8004

They are including online revenue. Also as a previous poster has pointed out this has been a very mild Winter for South Jersey. Virtually no snow. Last Winter it seemed that there was one big snowstorm after another.



This is not true. January 2015 was 2 to 4 degrees below normal for South Jersey. Last year, Atlantic City airport received 2 snowstorms in Jan (one at 7" and one at 4"). This year, we had the non snowstorm which shut down the state for a day and a half. The difference between the years in terms of casino revenue is probably negligible.

These numbers look fairly solid. We'll see where it goes.
7star4now
7star4now
Joined: Jul 8, 2013
  • Threads: 33
  • Posts: 782
February 12th, 2015 at 5:20:33 PM permalink
Quote: MprtUSA516

This is not true. January 2015 was 2 to 4 degrees below normal for South Jersey. Last year, Atlantic City airport received 2 snowstorms in Jan (one at 7" and one at 4"). This year, we had the non snowstorm which shut down the state for a day and a half. The difference between the years in terms of casino revenue is probably negligible.

These numbers look fairly solid. We'll see where it goes.



There were also weekends, incl MLK, when you couldn't "get there from here" from NY & points north- the lack of a further decline surprised me.
Intheknow
Intheknow
Joined: Jan 8, 2015
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 179
February 13th, 2015 at 5:25:04 AM permalink
I'd love to see last years local press reaction to January 2014 revenues. Also like to know 2013 revenue in January. Maybe go back to past 5 January's. Sure it would be very telling.

  • Jump to: