Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1336
February 24th, 2017 at 7:51:03 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Naturally, I have to reply. As I recall, our TV had a rotory mechanical switch (dial) for selecting among the 12 possible channels (2-13), and we were ecstatic when a second station began to broadcast and give us variety and options. Of course, those two stations were only on the air for part of the day.

So did ours! I can remember when we had only black & white television. What a luxury it was to get our first color TV. I grew up in the Los Angeles area and even we had only VHF channels of 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. Boy, did I waste a lot of time watching channel 5. On the UHF dial there were maybe 10 channels you could pick up and half in Spanish. The only one I was familiar with was 28, Public Televsion, which I watched the Electric Company on.

p.s. Zoom sucked!

Trivia Time!

Name the second actor from the left.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
February 24th, 2017 at 9:15:40 PM permalink
(Really hate to keep re-directing your thread, but I'm following your lead.)
Quote: Wizard

Trivia Time!

No idea. That was way after my time. I think one of my kids may have watched that show. To hit my generation, you have to pose TV trivia like:

(a) Name five (or 8 or whatever) characters from the Howdy Doody show.
(b) Who was the pal of Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent?
(c) Name the animal (non-human) that was a regular on the Today show.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 24th, 2017 at 10:45:28 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

To hit my generation, you have to pose TV trivia like:

(a) Name five (or 8 or whatever) characters from the Howdy Doody show.
(b) Who was the pal of Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent?
(c) Name the animal (non-human) that was a regular on the Today show.

a. Buffalo Bob and Clarabell
b. Dang. I haven't heard that show mentioned in about 40 years. I recall a boy with a beanie who rode Cecil but that's about the best I can do.
c. Didn't Lambchop make an appearance once in a while? If so, I imagine she would have brought Charlie Horse and Hush Puppy along too sometimes.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 25th, 2017 at 12:34:27 AM permalink
The boy was named Beany. I was a big fan of that show when I was about 4, had the beanie and wore it, also had a Beany and Cecil puzzle I loved.

R A G G M O P P ragmop! DOODLE DO DE DOO DE...

they sang it all the time.

The Today show had a chimp, think it was Fred Muggs or something.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
iamnomad
iamnomad
  • Threads: 5
February 25th, 2017 at 3:40:40 AM permalink
i think Beany and Cecil was the "hippest" cartoon show, by far, of those that were broadcast in the 60's. Wherever they sailed, they always had to pass by the No Bikini Atoll. When JFK initiated the Peace Corps, Beany started Beany's Bean and Peas Corps. Puns, sly take-offs on current fads, what a difference Bob Clampett"s show was from all the Hanna-Barbera cartoons that saturated the airwaves in the early 60s.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 235
Thanks for this post from:
Paigowdan
February 25th, 2017 at 3:57:13 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

So did ours! I can remember when we had only black & white television. What a luxury it was to get our first color TV. I grew up in the Los Angeles area and even we had only VHF channels of 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. Boy, did I waste a lot of time watching channel 5. On the UHF dial there were maybe 10 channels you could pick up and half in Spanish. The only one I was familiar with was 28, Public Televsion, which I watched the Electric Company on.

p.s. Zoom sucked!

Trivia Time!

Morgan Freeman
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 302
February 25th, 2017 at 4:14:06 AM permalink
I can out-do the "just a B+W tv" thing because we had no tv at all till 1965, my dad being a big hold-out

thus I am a bust at early morning 50s/60s tv trivia. I was sometimes watching a neighbor's tv later on, sometimes even early evening. In fact it puzzles me now why Dobie Gillis didn't have a lot of reruns, even through to running today. But maybe it sucked and I just didn't know it.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 25th, 2017 at 5:21:23 AM permalink
Howdy Doody... I watched the early show, dialing for dollars, or other movies. Hated that darned kids show I had to watch once. Hated the yelling and screaming brats.

Later: Sunrise Semester. General Electric Theater. Alfred Hitcock Presents.

Didn't like that stupid Lost on an Island somewhere but did like the many loves of dobby gillis, mainly for the hippie guy who didn't like to hear the word 'work'.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
February 25th, 2017 at 6:13:34 AM permalink
Wiz, you never watched UHF channel 52? That was where we got our fix of Speed Racer, Kimba the White Lion and The Three Stooges
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 25th, 2017 at 6:35:52 AM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

Wiz, you never watched UHF channel 52? That was where we got our fix of Speed Racer, Kimba the White Lion and The Three Stooges

Not that I can remember. As I recall, channel 5 had the Three Stooges and 13 had Speed Racer. Kimba I never liked but it was on somewhere because one of my brothers liked it.

• Jump to: