Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
October 5th, 2011 at 3:52:56 PM permalink
In the summer of 1990, Merv Griffin debuted Monopoly as a TV game show. I thought the concept was clever, but perhaps a bit too unevenly-paced. Check out some VCR quality videos on youtube (part 1) (part 2).

The Premise

The bonus game, "Once Around The Board", works as follows:

Players are given 5 rolls to move from Go, all the way around the Monopoly board, past Go for $25,000.
Landing exactly on Go wins $50,000.

Each space advanced earns $100, and players may quit after any safe roll.

Doubles earns an additional roll.

Players must place 4 additional Go To Jail spaces on the board...
1 on Second Street (between Jail & Free Parking)
1 on Third Street (between Free Parking and Go To Jail)
2 on Fourth Street (between Go To Jail and Go)
The corner Go To Jail space is also in play.

Landing on any Go To Jail loses all accumulated money in the bonus round.

All spaces are neutral safe spots, save for the Go To Jails. Chance and Community Chest do not draw cards, Luxury Tax does not penalize a player, etc.

The Question

What are the best places to put the Go To Jail spots to minimize risk?

This is not so much a question I need an answer to, but just something to allow people to speculate, number-crunch, what have you. I'd like to know your "off-the-cuff" answer without a whole lot of thought, then your in-depth analysis and probabilities.
-Dween!
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
October 5th, 2011 at 3:58:46 PM permalink
On part two of those videos, it is quite apparent that the contestant was sliding rather than rolling the dice on her final roll and should give back her 25K.

(posted in jest, but serious about her sliding the dice, check it out at 10:42)
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 5th, 2011 at 5:00:58 PM permalink
Well, 7 is the number most thrown. You'd have to look at the number of combinations to get to each place on the board on 2nd street. For me, on 2nd street, spot 11 (st. Charles) would be the obvious choice, as the only ways you could get there is 2-2-2-2-3, 3-3-3-2, 3-4-2-2, 3-4-4, 3-5-3, 3-6-2, and 2-9, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6, and 11.

On 4th street, I like Park Place, as it is 7 from "Go to Jail" and would be the best choice, as by the time you get to 4th street, your rolls have been basically completely randomized. And since you only get five roll, there is a good chance that you're not there anyway.

3rd street is a problem. I would have no thought as to how to handle that. Assuming that Chances and Community chests have no effect, the most probable spot is 7-7-7-7 which is Water Works. 7-7-7 (Kentucky) is also a probable spot. I would probably go with spot 24 (Illinois) or 25 (B&O), with a lean towards 25 as 24 is only 6 from jail which is an easier roll than 5 from jail.

So, St. Charles, B&O Railroad, and Park Place.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
  • Jump to: