Poll

4 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
January 6th, 2011 at 10:27:36 AM permalink
I propose we simply conduct our own version of the Newcomb.

Here's how it will work.

First, we'll pick our Newcomb Being from among us. Whoever wants to nominate themselves does so--explain why you make a good choice. Maybe you are a psychology major for example. The Wizard will determine final choice who is the NB. Anyone previously suspended from the forum need not apply.

Once we have our NB, then he and the Wizard will devise a questionnaire for anyone to fill out. The questions are designed to allow a reading.

Whoever chooses(player), sends the questionnaire to the Wizard privately who will forward it anonymously to the NB.

The NB will return his prediction privately to the Wizard.

After the NB makes his predictions, the player will have 24 hours to announce his choice publicly at which time the Wizard will let us know the results.

Be honest in the questionaire--there is no real money involved its just an experiment.

I personally am interested in seeing if a regular human can create a 90% success rate based on reading a person. It might help answer some of our questions about the future changing the past(if 90% then nothing supernatural need be involved.)

Whats everyone think about this?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 6th, 2011 at 10:34:01 AM permalink
I predict with 90% accuracy that 90% of the respondents will pick the Wizard to be the Newcomb Being. Now where's that million dollars...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
January 6th, 2011 at 10:37:05 AM permalink
I'm willing to cooperate in any manner necessary. What might be an example question?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
January 6th, 2011 at 11:13:12 AM permalink
As the runner of the forum, Wizard is the one who will receive the private messages so he needs to be the moderator, not the NB.

I'm not an expert at what questions make sense but off the top of my head, income level. A millionaire might be more apt to pick both boxes(the money is not so important--getting the satisfaction of a money award is) while someone who is middle income would go for box a only(they need a million to pay their bills.) Conversely a very poor person might pick both boxes(they need any money even if its only to guarantee a lousy thousand.)

Are bills outstanding, does the person have a high level of current debt, are they religious, devout, etc.

So, we need to come up with questions like that, any Psych majors here to help out?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
January 6th, 2011 at 11:37:27 AM permalink
The type of question/s will certainly be a key issue as some questions can generate answers, seemingly random, but guised to produce non-random results.

A good example is the halving a number question whereby respondents have to answer as quickly as they can (for some reason this works a lot better in the UK than the US ??) People like Derren Brown can use suggestive signals to subliminally implant the answers he desires - this is not mind reading, simply creating a sub-conscious image in someone's imagination.

Going back to the halving the numbers question then you can try it but you MUST answer as soon as you have the answer in your head - the final answer must be given as soon as you have an answer that comes straight to mind. I won't post the final answer until later and then it will be up to the posters to honestly say whether they picked that answer or not.

So, basically, you have to get ready to answer straight away. First question is:-

What is 1/2 of 256 ?

(Continue to keep halving your answers until you reach the lowest possible whole number - DO NOT read further until you have reached the lowest number).

Now, VERY QUICKLY, think of the first vegetable that comes to mind.

If this is done correctly then, despite there being numerous vegetables, I would predict a 70% success rate on one particular vegetable being chosen.

I'll post the vegetable later and anyone who tries please post your answer after and be honest :-)
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
January 6th, 2011 at 11:40:54 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm willing to cooperate in any manner necessary. What might be an example question?

Male or Female. Women tend to be more cautious and would be more likely to go for the guaranteed grand.

Age. But I can't decide if an older person would be more risk-averse through experience, or more likely to scoff at a thousand bucks vs a younger person with a lower-paying job or more student loans or whatnot.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Switch
Switch
January 7th, 2011 at 3:27:27 AM permalink
If anyone tried the halving number question then 'Carrot' is the vegetable that most people choose.
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
January 7th, 2011 at 4:36:21 AM permalink
Quote: Switch

If anyone tried the halving number question then 'Carrot' is the vegetable that most people choose.

Yes! I chose "carrot," too. (Afterwards, I Googled "carrot trick" and found many sites. Here's a good one.)
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
January 7th, 2011 at 4:55:28 AM permalink
So did I, carrot it is! Very impressive.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Switch
Switch
January 7th, 2011 at 5:03:49 AM permalink
Quote: ChesterDog

Yes! I chose "carrot," too. (Afterwards, I Googled "carrot trick" and found many sites. Here's a good one.)

Interesting article - it's amazing how high the number who said 'carrot' was. I also agree that it does seem to be regional/cultural as I had a far higher % success in the UK (about 90%) compared to trying it in the US.

I also knew the red, hammer one although I only found out about that one a year or so ago - the carrot one I've known for decades.

If the 'carrot' one does fail then you can always use the one that I have had almost 100% success with:-

Tell the person to answer as fast as possible.
You ask "Where do you buy sweets" (hopefully non-US and they will say 'shop', not 'store' Also, insert 'Candy' for US :-))
Now ask them to spell 'Shop'
Then ask them to say 'Shop' 5 times.
Finally, ask them "What do you do at a green light?"
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 7th, 2011 at 9:21:46 PM permalink
A couple of simple ones you probably know.

ASk people:

What do you put in a toaster?

or

What do cows drink?

The usual answers are Toast, and Milk. Its good if you catch people by surprise.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 7th, 2011 at 9:41:58 PM permalink
Quote: Croupier

A couple of simple ones you probably know.

ASk people:

What do you put in a toaster?

or

What do cows drink?

The usual answers are Toast, and Milk. Its good if you catch people by surprise.

I said "people", and "Chablis". Did I get it right?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Croupier
Croupier
  • Threads: 58
January 7th, 2011 at 10:20:50 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I said "people", and "Chablis". Did I get it right?

Yes. Yes you did. Now just pm me your bank details and for just a $1000 processing fee you can have your mystery prize.
[This space is intentionally left blank]
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
January 8th, 2011 at 4:13:54 AM permalink
Carrot.... add me to the list
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
January 8th, 2011 at 5:08:25 AM permalink
Something about this experiment is nagging at me. What is our NB doesn't have anywhere close to 90% success rate? Or, it does for the first 10 people, then starts failing? What does it say other than our NB is randomly making the decision?

Maybe we need many NBs, to increase the chance that one of them has a high rate of success.

Once you have someone with a high rate of success, what could we possibly say about their next guess? Would we have any real evidence it was more than a guess? I am skeptical...
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
  • Jump to: