djl314
djl314
  • Threads: 1
May 28th, 2022 at 6:31:12 PM permalink
Newbie to forum, sorry if this is already posted, I couldn't find it...

Everywhere I search perfect basic strategy gives the house an edge of about 0.5% on each hand. +/-

I've run millions of simulations betting the exact same amount every hand and use 2 different formulas to calculate house edge, I am always returning around 2.5% +/-

So - Do I have a bug in my simulations or is 0.5% house edge for BJ the biggest lie in Vegas???

DL
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 28th, 2022 at 6:45:44 PM permalink
Quote: djl314

Everywhere I search perfect basic strategy gives the house an edge of about 0.5% on each hand. +/-

I've run millions of simulations betting the exact same amount every hand and use 2 different formulas to calculate house edge, I am always returning around 2.5% +/-

So - Do I have a bug in my simulations or is 0.5% house edge for BJ the biggest lie in Vegas???

DL
link to original post

Welcome to the forum.

How are you simulating?

I think a lot of other people have managed to get simulations to return around a 0.5% edge.
May the cards fall in your favor.
djl314
djl314
  • Threads: 1
May 28th, 2022 at 8:17:35 PM permalink
:) There you go... That's it :) lol

simplicity sake I just run # EDGE/GPH = PL / HP
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 28th, 2022 at 8:43:27 PM permalink

:) There you go... That's it :) lol

simplicity sake I just run # EDGE/GPH = PL / HP
link to original post

I don't think that sounds like the same kind of simulation others are running.
May the cards fall in your favor.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 28th, 2022 at 10:41:00 PM permalink

DL
link to original post

Hi and welcome,

The house edge and the appropriate basic strategy for Blackjack both depend on the number of decks and the exact rules of the game being simulated. Get either wrong and your calculation or simulation will give the wrong value for edge.

Edge is typically in the range 0.4% to 1% and you can get a rough idea of what difference rule changes make from here...
https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/calculator/
You'll see that with 6:5 payout and a few other tweaks, house edge can be >2%

Without seeing the code for your simulator, I'll say with some confidence, that you have a bug in your code.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
May 28th, 2022 at 10:42:03 PM permalink
Splits? DD? BJ?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
May 31st, 2022 at 1:18:20 PM permalink
Developing accurate simulation software takes a lot of time and you have to do a lot of checking. This can be achieved by putting in traces and writing out all the details for every hand and how the shoe looks. Similarly you might need to zap the deck with various scenarios to ensure the correct logic is being followed. Another trick is to count up lots of things and see if patterns don't agree with expectations. As a simple example you know how many Blackjacks there should be.

Another issue is to ensure your random number generator and shuffling works. This is another area to test.

Best of luck.
  • Jump to: