CompAbuse101
CompAbuse101
  • Threads: 1
December 6th, 2010 at 5:18:33 PM permalink
While on a recent caribbean cruise I sat at a three card poker table where the following happened:

*2 players were dealt straight flushes in the same hand(myself and player B)---6 players were at the table.

*Player B(same person as above) was dealt a straight flush in three of four hands!---6 players were at the table for all hands.

How to figure the odds of a person hitting a straight flush in three of four hands?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 11th, 2010 at 9:11:38 PM permalink
Quote: CompAbuse101

While on a recent caribbean cruise I sat at a three card poker table where the following happened:

*2 players were dealt straight flushes in the same hand(myself and player B)---6 players were at the table.

*Player B(same person as above) was dealt a straight flush in three of four hands!---6 players were at the table for all hands.

How to figure the odds of a person hitting a straight flush in three of four hands?

According the Wizard's, Three Card Poker Appendix, there are 48 ways to make a straight flush out of 22,100 possible hands.

The probability of getting a straight flush three out of four hands (third hand anything but a straight flush) is: (48/22,100)*(48/22,100)*(22,052/22,100)*(48/22,100) = 0.0000000102264, or 1-in-97,786,578. Your odds of winning $200,000 in the Powerball lottery are 19 times better.

Stories like this are why it is hard to heed the Wizard's sage advice to avoid the PairPlus.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
CompAbuse101
CompAbuse101
December 20th, 2010 at 8:13:50 PM permalink
Thanks for the feedback. Longer odds than I thought. While the math may support avoiding the PairPlus, I would not play the game without it.
Headlock
Headlock
  • Threads: 22
December 21st, 2010 at 7:56:34 AM permalink
Without the pair plus bet, I don't know why anyone would play 3CP. Pretty boring.

This past weekend I was playing 3CP, and the player immediately to my left got 3 of a kind. The very next hand, the player immediately to my right received a straight flush, his second of the day. In a later session, someone sat down immediately to my right and his first hand was a straight flush. These were the cards that were in the shuffler and would have been mine had he not sat down. I realized then that I should not be playing 3CP.

Another time, perhaps a year ago, both the players to my left and right received straight flushes ON THE SAME HAND.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
December 21st, 2010 at 8:41:22 AM permalink
I once received 3 of a kind, a miss, and then another 3 of a kind, the second one coinciding with the dealer's trips (mine higher). We were the only two hands at the table, so that is 3 sets of trips in 3 deals, totaling 6 hands! Best part was, it was about 7:30AM, and I was on a coffee run for me and Mrs, and I was betting greens. So before we had even gotten showered, I was up almost $2000.

The thing about 3 Card with PP, you have to accept the fact that the most likely result will be busting out, so don't buy in with more than you can afford to lose. And don't buy in a second time after busting. If you get up over 1.5x your buy in, you should take that as a good sign and leave. IMO that is the whole idea of that set of games (3 Card, Let it Ride, 4 Card, Crazy 4); take a chance on the big hit, if you don't get it inside a set number of trials then walk.
A falling knife has no handle.
CompAbuse101
CompAbuse101
December 21st, 2010 at 9:06:37 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I once received 3 of a kind, a miss, and then another 3 of a kind, the second one coinciding with the dealer's trips (mine higher). We were the only two hands at the table, so that is 3 sets of trips in 3 deals, totaling 6 hands! Best part was, it was about 7:30AM, and I was on a coffee run for me and Mrs, and I was betting greens. So before we had even gotten showered, I was up almost $2000.

The thing about 3 Card with PP, you have to accept the fact that the most likely result will be busting out, so don't buy in with more than you can afford to lose. And don't buy in a second time after busting. If you get up over 1.5x your buy in, you should take that as a good sign and leave. IMO that is the whole idea of that set of games (3 Card, Let it Ride, 4 Card, Crazy 4); take a chance on the big hit, if you don't get it inside a set number of trials then walk.

Nothing like sitting down to a nice breakfast +$2,000 for the day. Food just seems to taste better...

A crazy % of my royals have been early(3:00AM-6:00AM) hits. They always feel better than the late hit royals. Either spend just as well but the early ones that you hit before your spouse has even rolled over in the bed make for great breakfast conversation. Think I'll fly to New Orleans next month and pound those 9/6's into submission.
  • Jump to: