2 votes (22.22%)
1 vote (11.11%)

9 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1145
February 11th, 2019 at 7:56:49 PM permalink
Dying before you sell the bottle should not be an issue. So, assume you have a 100% chance of living during the one year that you have to sell the bottle.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 9
February 11th, 2019 at 8:29:49 PM permalink
I would buy the vase for whatever is the asking price.

It seems we are assuming the value of going to hell to be around negative infinity. I would just wish for infinite value and then there's no net loss even if I fail to sell it.

Also,

If I buy the jar, that means I am not a logician and the guy who sold it to me is scheduled to go to hell, with his only chance of redemption being to buy it back from me and sell it again. But for me to sell it to him, he will have to become a logician, so I already have a buyer and get-out-of-hell card as soon as I buy it
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1145
February 11th, 2019 at 8:41:24 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

It seems we are assuming the value of going to hell to be around negative infinity. I would just wish for infinite value and then there's no net loss even if I fail to sell it.

What could you wish for in this lifetime, other than never dying, that would outweigh the negative infinity of hell?

Quote:

If I buy the jar, that means I am not a logician and the guy who sold it to me is scheduled to go to hell, with his only chance of redemption being to buy it back from me and sell it again. But for me to sell it to him, he will have to become a logician, so I already have a buyer and get-out-of-hell card as soon as I buy it

Just the fact that you thought of that makes you a logician.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 9
February 11th, 2019 at 9:05:49 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote:

If I buy the jar, that means I am not a logician and the guy who sold it to me is scheduled to go to hell, with his only chance of redemption being to buy it back from me and sell it again. But for me to sell it to him, he will have to become a logician, so I already have a buyer and get-out-of-hell card as soon as I buy itWhat could you wish for in this lifetime, other than never dying, that would outweigh the negative infinity of hell?

Just the fact that you thought of that makes you a logician.

wikipedia says John Stuart Mill is a logician and he would argue that buying the flask is logical, because the possibility I go to hell is completely offset by the seller no longer going to hell, while also adding the value of my one wish. The only question is, if there are plenty of logicians, does that mean there are also plenty of utilitarianists? (which is not a word, but I will claim it as a subset of logicians).
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 219
February 12th, 2019 at 12:06:24 AM permalink
What is: The value of the single wish that can be granted within the stated rules - the cost of eternity in Hell + one cent? That is the minimum price.
Voice of the Announcer: Meanwhile, at an abandoned gold mine, a sinister figure lurks. Snidley Whiplash: I love to lurk. It's so me
jackmagic777
jackmagic777
  • Threads: 1
February 12th, 2019 at 10:31:59 AM permalink
Lots of people know they are going to hell, so live a boring life or have one hell of a year? The negative older you are, the easier the decidion to buy the bottle.

• Jump to: