w261w262
w261w262
  • Threads: 1
March 8th, 2016 at 1:35:45 PM permalink
I called all-in with JJ pre-flop against what turned out to be KQ. I was wondering, if the game were on TV, what they would show as the percentage chances of winning for each hand (all other hands folded). Thank you.
Last edited by: w261w262 on Mar 8, 2016
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 8th, 2016 at 1:57:37 PM permalink
Quote: w261w262

Sorry if this is a duplicate. It's my first post.

I called all-in with JJ against what turned out to be KQ. I'm wondering what the KQ's odds were of pairing up, and also pairing up or better? The equation(s) would be great. Thank you.

Was the KQ suited? You have two cards that will improve your hand, your opponent has six draws to get an overpair. Usually, I see this analyzed at 51/49 with the pair in the lead pre-flop, but I haven't run the numbers.

The Wizard has a hand analyzer here: https://wizardofodds.com/games/texas-hold-em/calculator/

If the KQ are unsuited, and neither of the suits in the JJ,the odds are 56.72%/42.95% so the lead is actually a little better.
Against a suited KQ that is neither of the suits in the JJ, the odds are narrower at 53.34%/46.27%.
Last edited by: Ayecarumba on Mar 8, 2016
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
March 8th, 2016 at 2:33:47 PM permalink
Quote: w261w262

I called all-in with JJ pre-flop against what turned out to be KQ. I was wondering, if the game were on TV, what they would show as the percentage chances of winning for each hand (all other hands folded). Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, w261!

I think Aye has answered your question sufficiently, but you mentioned poker on TV. I haven't watched televised poker in a while, but since they have hole card cams at every seat, they know the folded cards. I believe they adjust the percentages they show the viewers based on that knowledge.

So, you could see this very hand on TV, and the percentages be different than what the Wizard's calculator shows. But for your case, where nobody that's still in the hand knows what was folded, the percentages Aye gave you would be correct.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 8th, 2016 at 3:15:52 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Welcome to the forum, w261!

I think Aye has answered your question sufficiently, but you mentioned poker on TV. I haven't watched televised poker in a while, but since they have hole card cams at every seat, they know the folded cards. I believe they adjust the percentages they show the viewers based on that knowledge.

So, you could see this very hand on TV, and the percentages be different than what the Wizard's calculator shows. But for your case, where nobody that's still in the hand knows what was folded, the percentages Aye gave you would be correct.

It's been my (non-expert) observation over the last couple WSOP's that they do not consider folded hands in the calculation. The commentators mention that, as in "well, they're showing 56% vs. 43%, but we did see JoePoker fold that one king..." . Perhaps other coverage does account for folded hands in their displayed edges, but WSOP will show outs that we already saw folded, so I'm pretty sure they just go by the math.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
w261w262
w261w262
  • Threads: 1
March 8th, 2016 at 7:02:05 PM permalink
Thank you everyone!
  • Jump to: