SlotMath89
SlotMath89
  • Threads: 1
November 11th, 2015 at 12:57:13 AM permalink
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an example of Cascading reel math? To elaborate, cascading reels is when a win appears on screen, the symbols on the winning line are removed, and the reels cascade down to fill the screen. This is repeated until no wins appear. E.g.

I know you need to do fixed lines, and limit the winning combinations via the reelstrip layout. However, I'm still struggling to wrap my head around how to do the math (more specifically, working out the trigger chance for falling down for each symbol) without running a permutation via simulation. If anyone has an example excel or some more tips, I'd be very greatful.

Cheers.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
Dorukanjrrr
November 11th, 2015 at 11:27:49 AM permalink
I did math for Davinci Diamonds using a brute force method for every starting screen. The reels on that game are surprisingly short, so the brute force method is manageable. I've seen some discussions on Linked In where people claim that a spreadsheet is possible, but I have no interest in that.
I heart Crystal Math.
SlotMath89
SlotMath89
November 11th, 2015 at 1:52:41 PM permalink
Wow. Even if the reels are only 10 positions, that's still 50 thousand starting positions. Did you do for all combinations? or can you just use start positions of the first 3 reels (if lowest pay is 3 of a kind) as that would be the cascading trigger?
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
November 11th, 2015 at 2:43:45 PM permalink
I did it for all starting screens, roughly 7 million of them. My program calculates 1 million screens in 19 seconds. I suppose you could eliminate a lot of combinations by doing what you suggest, but I don't think it's necessary unless you had much longer reels.
I heart Crystal Math.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
Dorukanjrrr
November 11th, 2015 at 2:48:21 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

I did math for Davinci Diamonds using a brute force method for every starting screen.

That is how I did it too via lots of looping. I had to keep the reels short, like 32 positions, to keep the run time reasonable.

Anybody who is being paid to do a cascading reels game should charge about 3x as much as he would for a simple video slot.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
SlotMath89
SlotMath89
November 11th, 2015 at 3:11:49 PM permalink
Thanks for the replies!... My programming isn't great, haha. Might find it difficult. I'm going to give a go on excel, first 3 reels <20 positions. If I can set it up for the first screen as dynamic as possible, might be ok to copy paste 8000 times... going to be a long weekend...
  • Jump to: