helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 69
February 22nd, 2019 at 5:53:58 AM permalink
I saw the nice video that the Las Vegas Review Journal has of the snow that's fallen in Las Vegas.

As a Canadian that's had freezing rain the last couple weeks and a big cold snap prior to that, I say share the weather wealth!

Now the flip-side is that we're two weeks away from the start of March Break and my trip to Las Vegas so I'm hoping your weather turns when I'm there. 25C and sunny so we can take a dip in the pool would be nice. 8-)

Just curious do Las Vegas residents just run summer tires all year or do most people have all-season tires? All-seasons would be fine in what Las Vegas is experiencing weather-wise provided you're familiar with Winter driving.

--helpmespock
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 76
Thanks for this post from:
helpmespock
February 22nd, 2019 at 6:17:57 AM permalink
It is supposed to be about 22C for a high starting next week.

Everybody just runs a standard tires all year long in Las Vegas. This snow was a once every 10 years occurrence.
Order from chaos
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1375
teliotJoemanMaxPencharliepatrickAyecarumbahelpmespockZenKinGmamat
February 22nd, 2019 at 6:40:11 AM permalink
I couldn't help but make a video to mark the occasion.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY8228YxqOA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2UNtHg4QGf-bU6w6pL2lC8durrahEXJ1bgN9XdFmo2WkoYjZXKtGYf0FM
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 131
helpmespock
February 22nd, 2019 at 7:37:52 AM permalink
Helpmespock

just a little HEADS UP for you to tie down everything before Sunday they say we might have a

BOMB CYCLONE

Alerts for: London - Middlesex
Statements
7:04 AM EST Friday 22 February 2019
Special weather statement in effect for:

London - Parkhill - Eastern Middlesex County
Strathroy - Komoka - Western Middlesex County
Damaging winds likely on Sunday.

Damaging winds with gusts to 90 to 110 km/h are expected to develop Sunday afternoon after the passage of a sharp cold front. Areas near the Great Lakes are more likely to experience winds at the higher end of this range. The strong winds will persist through Sunday night and gradually weaken on Monday.

Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur. Power outages are also possible.

In addition flurries and blowing snow will develop Sunday afternoon. Local snowfall amounts in the 2 to 5 cm range are possible by Monday morning. More importantly, any fresh snow that falls will be whipped up by the very strong winds creating whiteout conditions at times.

Visibility may be significantly and suddenly reduced to near zero making travel hazardous.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

the weather be a changing no matter what the POTUS says
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
February 22nd, 2019 at 8:42:47 AM permalink
Las Vegas just got more snow than we've had in Oklahoma in like the last 8 years. WTF

The first time I went to Vegas back in the 90's, it rained so hard a bunch of streets flooded and they had to close them down.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 14
February 22nd, 2019 at 9:00:23 AM permalink
All schools are closed. Due to "freezing conditions." Most of the valley had overnight lows around 34-35F. The schools really need to be open more if the people in charge think that is "freezing conditions." This is the first time I ever felt like Las Vegas was in a bubble. The entire rest of the country just calls this February. Surfing around on the internet it looks like Mount Charleston got 12", places closer to there got up to 3-6", everywhere else it just looked like when I had bad dandruff as a teenager. Still cool.
Only the third time I ever saw enough to make a snowball here. Last time was 2011 and the other time was when I visited for New Year's 2004. Was up early enough yesterday to take pictures, make some snowballs, go sledding, catch some flakes on my tongue.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1375
February 22nd, 2019 at 9:26:43 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

All schools are closed. Due to "freezing conditions."

I'm still perplexed by that one. Yesterday we had a once-in-a-decade snow, which I'm sure every kid would have loved to play in, and they don't cancel school. Then today, when it is simply a little cold, they do. I live in Summerlin, which is at higher elevation than most of the city, and our roads are clean and dry.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 431
AZDuffman
February 22nd, 2019 at 10:16:07 AM permalink
Quote: coilman

the weather be a changing no matter what the POTUS says

Because the weather has always been
so boring and predictable before now?
Weather is ALWAYS changing, that
the only thing predictable about it.

Manmade climate change, biggest
hoax ever played.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 179
February 22nd, 2019 at 11:01:38 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm still perplexed by that one. Yesterday we had a once-in-a-decade snow, which I'm sure every kid would have loved to play in, and they don't cancel school. Then today, when it is simply a little cold, they do. I live in Summerlin, which is at higher elevation than most of the city, and our roads are clean and dry.

I suspect the possibility of a four day weekend didn't hurt.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 308
February 22nd, 2019 at 11:32:40 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

It is supposed to be about 22C for a high starting next week.

f-32=9/5c is what they taught us way back when, that still taught?

20/5 = 4 [+ remainder 2]
the idea being to break it down into something divisible by 5 since:

the formula says 9/5 so,
9*4 = 36,
multiplying by 9/5 is very close to doubling, so, the remainder of 2c = @4f
36+4 = 40,
add in the missing 32 degrees,
40+32 = 72 degrees F [approx]

actual answer 71.6 ............ just wanted to show how I have recently come to do that in my head

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=convert+22+celsius+to+fahrenheit
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: