OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
September 14th, 2010 at 10:06:38 AM permalink
Good chart by CheapoVegas (PDF) about those dirty little resort fees that many Vegas hotels are tacking onto bills. It includes a handy comparison chart for almost all hotels that do have them, showing what exactly you allegedly get by paying the fee.

It's a pretty nice reference, actually, and also written in his typical amusing style. One thing he didn't mention, though, which I think deserves praise is that Harrah's properties don't have any resort fees--for all the scorn heaped on them for their terrible games and bad player's club, this is one of their few positive attributes.
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
RPToro
RPToro
  • Threads: 7
September 14th, 2010 at 10:45:29 AM permalink
This is true about Harrah's properties, makes them stand out - in a good way.

Do y'all think its just a matter of time until they cave and implement resort fees, or do you think they'll continue to use it to stand apart? Maybe i should have made this a poll (my 1st ever lol).
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 14th, 2010 at 11:35:24 AM permalink
Quote: RPToro

Do y'all think its just a matter of time until they cave and implement resort fees, or do you think they'll continue to use it to stand apart? Maybe i should have made this a poll (my 1st ever lol).

They'll start charging resort fees the instant that the bright young MBA's they hire consult their star charts and divine that it would not hurt business to do so.

In any case, staying at a Harrah's property because they don't charge resort fees is like vacationing in Afghanistan because you like things done the old-fashioned way.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
benbakdoff
benbakdoff
  • Threads: 17
September 14th, 2010 at 11:45:09 AM permalink
Click on links at the top of this page to find out about resort fees. It's all there.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 14th, 2010 at 12:00:35 PM permalink
I don't think Harrah's will charge resort fees. The company certainly is innovative in offering value in non-gaming areas, such as the all-day buffet in seven properties.

As to the bad gaming, the clueless gamblers like the sucker bets. That's where the money is, don't you know?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 14th, 2010 at 1:45:29 PM permalink
Quote: OneAngryDwarf

Harrah's properties don't have any resort fees--for all the scorn heaped on them for their terrible games and bad player's club, this is one of their few positive attributes.

And they are milking the publicity from that ONE attribute like crazy. They will shear you for worse than some properties that do have a resort fee would.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 14th, 2010 at 1:54:53 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

They will shear you for worse than some properties that do have a resort fee would.

That's my problem with them. They charge separately for the things I would want that are included in the resort fees at other places. And the sum of those charges is MUCH more than the resort fees at comparable properties...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 14th, 2010 at 2:01:05 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

That's my problem with them. They charge separately for the things I would want that are included in the resort fees at other places. And the sum of those charges is MUCH more than the resort fees at comparable properties...

Depends on what you need and use.

Me, this year at Rio and last year at IP I got charged for a few local and 800 calls over the course of my stays, perhaps $5 all told. That's fice in 11 cumulative days, and that's cheaper than any of the known resort fees. At the Rio there was a coffee maker and a safe in the room. They didn't charge me separately for using them.

I don't use the fitness center (in Vegas that would be redundant), internet access or even the pool. So for me a resort fee has zero value.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 48
September 14th, 2010 at 2:24:37 PM permalink
Who wants to work out in a mini gym that an apartment complex would have? Fitness centers in hotels are lame, people should relax on their vacation.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
September 15th, 2010 at 11:50:26 AM permalink
Quote: RPToro

Harrah's charges resort fees in Atlantic City. And not insignificant ones, either.

• Jump to: