Gregg
Gregg
  • Threads: 1
November 16th, 2011 at 2:37:27 AM permalink
Hi,
Great site by the way!! I use the Basic Strategy chart on the Wizard of Odds site, but I had a question about one of the options Dealer Peek (No Peek/No Hole Card & Dealer peeks for Blackjack).

I am playing a game where the Dealer takes a 2nd card & peeks if showing an Ace, but not when showing a 10. When you created the Dealer peeks option does this include peeking when showing a 10 and if so what changes should I make in this instance. Obviously if I have 11 and I know the dealers Ace is not BJ then its great to double - but what about if they show a 10?

Thanks in advance!

Gregg
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 16th, 2011 at 3:11:57 AM permalink
Quote: Gregg

peeks if showing an Ace, but not when showing a 10.

Are you sure? This suggests that BJ is not an automatic dealer win/push [they peek to speed up the game]. If they allow you to double when the dealer might be automatic winner I'm thinking you are at a disadvantage to double down.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Gregg
Gregg
November 16th, 2011 at 3:25:43 AM permalink
Yes, its probably a European thing. If they have an Ace you can take Insurance. If they have a 10, you play the game - you could draw to get 21...then the Dealer could turn over an Ace and you lose!!! :)
Gregg
Gregg
November 16th, 2011 at 3:26:58 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I'm thinking you are at a disadvantage to double down.

Me too, but obviously not as many Aces as 10s! Thats why I need the Wizard!!! :)
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 16th, 2011 at 5:23:23 AM permalink
Quote: Gregg

Me too, but obviously not as many Aces as 10s! Thats why I need the Wizard!!! :)

No, you don't :)
You just need his basic strategy calculator.
Pick the appropriate peek/no peek option on the left, and lookup the right strategy on the right.

Bottom line - do not double 11 vs. 10 if the dealer does not peek for blackjack.
BTW, you are not supposed to double 11 vs ace, even when they do peek, if it is a S17 shoe game.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Gregg
Gregg
November 16th, 2011 at 5:28:27 AM permalink
I am using it - but is this game regarded as peek or No Peek???

They do stand on S17 in this case.

Cheers!
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 16th, 2011 at 5:32:08 AM permalink
It's neither. Peek means "peek for bj with either 10 or an ace", "no peek" means "never peek, player looses all doubles and splits against a dealer bj" (there are also games where there is no hole card, but, if the dealer turns a black jack in the end, all doubles and splits are returned to players - this is really a "peek" game, even though the dealer does not literally peek the cards). You are talking about a hybrid.
Just set it it "peek" when looking for strategy against an ace, and to "no peek" for the other case.

S17 stands for "stand on all 17". If they stand on soft 17, that is a "S17" game (do not double 11 vs. ace). If they hit it, that would make it an "H17" game.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Gregg
Gregg
November 16th, 2011 at 5:58:30 AM permalink
That all seems to make sense, thanks for your help!!
  • Jump to: