Mewtwo
Mewtwo
  • Threads: 2
April 13th, 2011 at 4:48:26 PM permalink
I saw the update regarding Power Blackjack being playable in Las Vegas now, but am confused on something.

In the WagerWorks variant, the rules are described such that when you do a Power Double, if you do not like your card, you can exchange it for the next card in the shoe - this leads me to believe that you get the card after the card you would have taken, and the card you passed up on will become the dealer's next draw.

Is this the case in WagerWorks? Is this the case in Vegas? I can only assume that strategy might be different if you can "steer" a card to the dealer.
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
April 13th, 2011 at 5:42:01 PM permalink
I assume that playing Power Blackjack heads-up on an online game - European no hole card style - that the next card drawn, (after you finish your hit-and-stand decisions including the power-double draw), is the dealer's second card of his hand.

This is because the dealer does not have a hole card, and therefore must ALWAYS draw a card to his hand after your draw actions.
Yet in European Blackjack, the players' hit or stand decisions also affects the dealer's next drawn card, again, because he must always draw cards after your hit-or-stand decisions.

Switch can best define this.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
April 13th, 2011 at 6:26:18 PM permalink
The strategy doesn't differ, regarding the exchange of the double card, for US or ENHC rules.

While it's true that your decision affects the dealer's 2nd card, you still have to give your hand the best outcome rather than trying to 'steer' (unknown) cards towards the dealer.

Say, for example, in ENHC, you had 10 vs dealer 6 and you received a '4' on a 'Power Double'. If you then replace the card (as you should) and receive an '8' and the dealer then draws a '10' followed by a '5' then, although you would have won by keeping the 4, it's not the correct play. You could just have easily taken the '5' rather than the '8'.

Furthermore, it works in US hole-card as well. Take the same situation as before; 10 vs dealer 6, you receive the '4' and replace it for an '8'. The dealer turns over the hole card, which is a 9, and then draws a '6' to make '21'. Again, if you had not replaced the card the dealer would have had 6, 9 & 8 and would have 'bust'.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
April 13th, 2011 at 7:46:17 PM permalink
Not sure I am following this. Say a full table, and first player exchanges the card. Does the next player get the discarded card or the next card in the shoe. Idiots argue about a player taking the dealer's break card. Can just imagine the cry when a player exchanges his 6 or 7 on an 11 doubledown. And OMG third base would have to take one of the team ? Dealer has 6 up and I get a 10 on my 8 DD. Can I really give the dealer my 10 ????
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
April 13th, 2011 at 7:57:31 PM permalink
Look on the wiz site Does not say if card is burnt or not ?
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
April 13th, 2011 at 9:06:38 PM permalink
Buzz, if you 'Power Double' and do not take the 2nd card then that card remains in play for the next player or dealer to have.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
April 13th, 2011 at 9:47:59 PM permalink
Is the first card then put in the discard rack before I get my second card ??
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
April 13th, 2011 at 10:10:47 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Is the first card then put in the discard rack before I get my second card ??

Yes.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: