altonite
altonite
  • Threads: 1
September 16th, 2019 at 9:55:18 AM permalink
I am going to be playing in an UTH Tournament for the first time in a few months. I will be given $2000 in chips to play 7 hands against 6 other players. Top 2 chip holders at the end of each round advance until the final 7 people get to the final table.

I am trying to figure out my best betting strategy for the start of each hand to maximize my chances. Do I make a 1 unit bet on ante and blind and then 2,3,4,5 units on the Trips Plus?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in UTH tournaments or betting strategy?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 17th, 2019 at 8:54:52 AM permalink
Quote: altonite

I am going to be playing in an UTH Tournament for the first time in a few months. I will be given $2000 in chips to play 7 hands against 6 other players. Top 2 chip holders at the end of each round advance until the final 7 people get to the final table.

I am trying to figure out my best betting strategy for the start of each hand to maximize my chances. Do I make a 1 unit bet on ante and blind and then 2,3,4,5 units on the Trips Plus?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in UTH tournaments or betting strategy?

I have not played a UTH tournament. I am not a math guy. So anything i say should be taken with a whole shaker of salt. However, i have played thousands of hands of UTH, and use James Grosjeans strategy with the Wizard's kicker strategy.

First, what is the value of 1 unit? $100? $25? Something else? I'm talking table minimum.

Since you have a pre-defined stop point of 7 hands, and a max main bet is 6 units or some multiple, your strategy will be very dependent on bankroll.

Trips bet is -ev, and hit frequency is around 16% head to head. With only 7 hands, I think I would ignore it. Let the others waste br on it and if they hit, so be it.

I think, in general, I would bet 1/3 of whatever I have on ante/blind each hand, so I can fully fund the 4x Play, which is the only +ev bet. Play the aggressive JG strategy. Adjust the ante/blind to keep that proportion.

If not in top 2 on the last hand or two, fund Trips with any spare money, but still primarily fund 4x. (ie, bets must be in 100s. You have 2k left. 300 on each ante/blind, reserving 1200 for 4x Play, 200 might as well go on trips).

If at that same point, I am in the top 2, bet min units to hold on for the others to bet big and bust. But still play JG strategy. If it's really close, might take stock of the table and fold out with a marginal hand rather than 1x a weak kicker, if 1 unit loss will make a difference in standings.

I could easily be wrong. Will be interested in what math-based answers you get.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: