bgriffin
bgriffin
  • Threads: 8
November 11th, 2010 at 2:36:52 PM permalink
The Borgata in Atlantic City has started giving out Match Play coupons like candy lately to player's card members, and though they restrict their use to even-money bets at Craps, Blackjack, Roulette, and Bacarrat only, they are at least generous about the blackjack rules--essentially the coupon is treated like a live bet, and the player is paid full 3:2 on the value of the coupon on naturals, can double down up to the amount of the bet + coupon, and so forth. (Per this article, http://www.beyondcounting.com/pdfs/beyondcouponsbjfo.pdf , it would appear that Blackjack is the best use of this coupon, assuming that the coupon is retained on a push--I have not witnessed a push-with-coupon firsthand, so I'm not sure if this is the case, but given the liberal rules on other aspects of the match play coupons I assume it is, and even if not BJ is still only slightly worse than the Pass Line in Craps, the only other allowed bet for these coupons that would be better.)

That said, am I correct in understanding that the Wizard's blackjack Appendix 19, on splits for back bettors, would be an appropriate strategy to apply when one gets a splittable hand while using a Match Play? For example, when betting a $25 chip plus a $25 match play coupon, splitting with another $25 bet for 2,2 against dealer 2, but with another $50 bet for 2,2 against dealer 4? I have not had occasion to try it out myself, but given how fast-and-loose they've been on these match play coupons in general, I suspect the dealers would let the players split either way.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
November 11th, 2010 at 2:40:24 PM permalink
Please see my page on Promotional, Match-Play, and Non-Negotiable Chips.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
November 11th, 2010 at 4:17:11 PM permalink
That page doesn't seem to answer the question of what to do if you are allowed to choose your bet on the split hand ($25 or $50). If you are, I think the back-bettor page might be appropriate.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 11th, 2010 at 7:16:20 PM permalink
I see the match play coupons played in Pai Gow Poker alot, with the coupon pushing on a tie. What the EV of the match play for Pai Gow Poker?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
bgriffin
bgriffin
  • Threads: 8
November 12th, 2010 at 8:12:30 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Please see my page on Promotional, Match-Play, and Non-Negotiable Chips.

I had not yet come across this page on your site, thanks for pointing it out. Why is the basic strategy for promotional chips so different from when betting with real money? Also, does one make the exception-to-basic-strategy doubles and splits only when one would be putting down another promotional chip for the second bet (as opposed to having to bring real money onto the table)? Would any of the exception-to-basic-strategy plays apply when using real money and a full-pay match play coupon?
  • Jump to: